Muirton Park ballboys

guisboroughsaintee

I was a ball boy and if you were one, you'll respond immediately to "Fan out...............to the centre and FAN OUT!

Wallace made us go TRAINING on the north inch.....

I fell out with my pal for a day cos he wouldn't let me stand at the ice rink end, and left me down the town end (neither of us were senior enough for the enclosure or stand at that point...)

Can't really remember who else was there at the time but do remember the training sessions on North Inch,on the pitch up near what I think was Perth Artisans Golf Club. I do remember doing the main stand touchline ice rink end once against Celtic because they ripped the pish out of me cause my boots were about 3 sizes too big and the toes had all curled up.

Anybody got a better quality copy of this? Trying to id who's in picture but lose definition when enlarging.

photo-1120.jpg

Go onto the Old Perth Pictures thread in Perth chat section,Page 59 further down the page,due to using works computer i cannae post the original in this thread

Go onto the Old Perth Pictures thread in Perth chat section,Page 59 further down the page,due to using works computer i cannae post the original in this thread

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag73/chips1310/ballboys74_zps4eaudsg0.jpg

Looks like this was a fairly big game (pipe band and a decent sized crowd by the looks of things).  Maybe a Ne'erday derby given there's a bit of snow about too?

Edited by jhq

That's my photo which I uploaded on to the internet a few years ago. I wish I could tell you more about it but, unfortunately, I don't remember the date or game. I'll have to rake it out again to see if there is anything written on the back of it.  Not the same game, but the same ballboys are on duty here in a game against Rangers. I'm at the ice rink end   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgpLa-nsovk

Edited by Capital Saint

Communications were basic in they days, prior to this we'd been employing the old semaphore flag signalling method.

This was innovative stuff but, you had to buy a match programme in order to decode the half time scores.The letters equating to matches could usually be found on the center pages as I remember. i.e. 

Each letter equated to a particular match for instance 'B' might've equated to Airdrie:roll: v Partick etc.

I think some o' they boys got great delight playing to the crowd when they knew we were waiting for a particular scoreline to come out.:laugh:

I saw 'daft Jimmy' (a term I hate to use, but was used openly for the whole time he spent as head ball boy!) a few years back, he was sitting in Marks and Spencer's cafe, I didn't notice him straight away, however I became aware of someone moving their false teeth around in their mouth, to the point they were actually outside! Then I noticed it was Jimmy, he hardly had a grey hair on his head!? I don't know how old he is, sadly on my part up until that point I wrongly presumed he must be dead.

He certainly was a character, I am sure everyone has a 'Jimmy' story or memory?

Its where they put up the half time scores from the other games in the division.  If you bought a program it would match the games with the letters. Nae internet or mobiles in these days!!

I sometimes put the half time scores up, they were metal plates with different numbers on both sides that slid into the a slot, b slot and so on, auld Mr Bell would get the scores, by phoning round some of the grounds if I remember correctly, write them down and you would trot out to match up the scores with the letters from the programme. Bye the time you got to the letter J some smart git would have turned the numbered plate round and instead of 1-0, A match wold be 6-0 at HT.

I saw 'daft Jimmy' (a term I hate to use, but was used openly for the whole time he spent as head ball boy!) a few years back, he was sitting in Marks and Spencer's cafe, I didn't notice him straight away, however I became aware of someone moving their false teeth around in their mouth, to the point they were actually outside! Then I noticed it was Jimmy, he hardly had a grey hair on his head!? I don't know how old he is, sadly on my part up until that point I wrongly presumed he must be dead.

He certainly was a character, I am sure everyone has a 'Jimmy' story or memory?

Did "Daft" Jimmy not get sent to the Stands once.? or is that just a Muirton Legend.!

Jimmy was in a nursing home in Blairgowrie when I used to work over there in the late 80s/90, you could set your watch with Jimmy walking down to the Town centre to collect what would be the Evening Tele delivery of the Bus, he used to collect for I think the Balmoral arms pub, he used to do some cleaning up for the pub as well I am sure. No sure if Jimmy is still around but a great character and yes he did sent off,