Death of friend from Eskisehir

50yrs a Saint

Sad to learn of the death of 23 year old Mehmet Yagci, from Eskisehir, who we had the pleasure of meeting when we visited Eskisehir, and who, along with a friend, travelled to the UK in 2013, and joined myself, my son and other friends to support Saints in our 3-3 game with Hearts. He enjoyed pre match drinks in the Muirton Suite and I recall his photo appeared on the clubs twitter page that day. Mehmet was a talented rugby player and it would appear the local university rugby team coach crashed and overturned tragically killing Mehmet and injuring many others. Condolences to all our friends from Eskisehir but especially to all of Mehmet's family and friends.

12390892_10153753679914631_1635726798002

Sad to learn of the death of 23 year old Mehmet Yagci, from Eskisehir, who we had the pleasure of meeting when we visited Eskisehir, and who, along with a friend, travelled to the UK in 2013, and joined myself, my son and other friends to support Saints in our 3-3 game with Hearts. He enjoyed pre match drinks in the Muirton Suite and I recall his photo appeared on the clubs twitter page that day. Mehmet was a talented rugby player and it would appear the local university rugby team coach crashed and overturned tragically killing Mehmet and injuring many others. Condolences to all our friends from Eskisehir but especially to all of Mehmet's family and friends.

I picked Mehmet up from Edinburgh Airport and took him to Perth on the day of the Europa League game. We had a few beers in City pre match and then he met me and a few others in the Loft afterwards. So young, I actually thought he was older than that. What a horrible loss for his family. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

Hope you don't mind but I have copied and pasted this on to the Saints /Eskiseherspor FB page.

Really sad news. Mehmet was a great guy who welcomed us amazingly in Turkey and then made the trip over to Perth for the return leg. We kept in touch and he came back to Scotland to see the 3-3 Saints v Hearts game when Mannus got sent off and Scobbie finished in goals. He couldn't believe how calm the Saints fans were after such an incident packed game as he thought there would be riots in Turkey after a game like that! After pre and post match hospitality at the Cherrybank he told me he started to understand why Scottish people had a reputation for drinking a lot..... Although he managed to keep up pretty well.

Since then he always sent messages to keep me up to date with EsEs and made sure he knew how Saints were doing. Sending good luck messages before the Scottish Cup Final (he even put a bet on United to win since he had a superstition that he always bet on the team he wanted to lose in big matches) and commiseration messages after Scotland lost to Australia in the rugby world cup were always appreciated. 

I was very happy I got the chance to meet and become friends with Mehmet through our memorable trip to Turkey and he will be sadly missed. 

Tragic news, RIP Mehmet.

Many people seem to view the friendship between the two clubs as cringey, but I think the recent reaction from both sets of fans to the sad losses we have both suffered shows how unique and special the relationship between both clubs is.

I will never forget them few days in Eskisehir, the warm welcome we received was unbelievable.

My thoughts are with Mehmets family and friends.

Tragic news, RIP Mehmet.

Many people seem to view the friendship between the two clubs as cringey, but I think the recent reaction from both sets of fans to the sad losses we have both suffered shows how unique and special the relationship between both clubs is.

I will never forget them few days in Eskisehir, the warm welcome we received was unbelievable.

My thoughts are with Mehmets family and friends.

summed up my thoughts.

RIP Mehmet 

I picked Mehmet up from Edinburgh Airport and took him to Perth on the day of the Europa League game. We had a few beers in City pre match and then he met me and a few others in the Loft afterwards. So young, I actually thought he was older than that. What a horrible loss for his family. 

That was a great night. 

Very sad to hear of this. I am not aware of having met Mehmet but I certainly met some wonderful folk during our short time in Eses.

There can be no doubt that of all the teams we have played in Europe, the bonds we have forged with Eses are by far the strongest reflected in the posts on this forum that Eses supporters still make from time to time. 

I believe good can come out of tragic situations and in this case I believe these bonds between our two clubs, now nearly 3.5 years on will continue to strengthen and possibly extend in time to bonding between the cities themselves.

RIP Mehmet

• 11 months later...

Saturday 17th will be the year anniversary of Mehmets death. I just recieved a message from Firat, who many will know from joining us on several of our European trips, who has said that Mehmet's family were very touched by so many kind messages from Scotland.

Firat has asked if Saints fans could possibly send a message on this anniversary to let him family know that he isn't forgotten. If any fans who wanted to could add a message to the Saints or EsEs facebook/twitter, he has said that would be appreciated.

Thanks