St. Johnstone v Hamilton Accademical - Saturday 16th January 2016

Markinch Saint

As match threads by Ghostie and Saintsam haven't worked in previous weeks I thought I'd have a bash. Let's hope this superstitious mumbo jumbo can help with saints returning to wining ways. I've also went for full Sunday names for both teams in a bit to change things up. :laugh:

Who said football fans were fickle! :wink:

Id start with the following assuming fitness is not an issue, pretty sure midge won't make otherwise him in for MOH and move Liam onto left wing.

Mannus

McKay Joe Scobbie Easton 

Thomson Muzz Craig MOH

Macca Cummings 

As match threads by Ghostie and Saintsam haven't worked in previous weeks I thought I'd have a bash. Let's hope this superstitious mumbo jumbo can help with saints returning to wining ways. I've also went for full Sunday names for both teams in a bit to change things up. :laugh:

Id start with the following assuming fitness is not an issue, pretty sure midge won't make otherwise him in for MOH and move Liam onto left wing.

Mannus

McKay Joe Scobbie Easton 

Thomson Muzz Craig MOH

Macca Cummings 

should be MacKay obviously, Apple spellchecker for you :evil:

At some stage we have to persevere with a centre back duo. I do rate Scobbie as a centre half. Hence I would give Ando and Joe another chance. Right back now becomes a problem as we are left with Macay and Fisher. As TW Will not drop his Captain it will be Mackay. I would play Clark in goals but again that will not happen as Mannus is bound for Europe in the summer with Northern Ireland. Another change to your team is I would play MOH on the right his best position. As I stated in a previous post he seems to get shunted over to the left to accommodate a lesser player and he does not look happy out there. I would play Wotherspoon on the left. Thomson's time will come.

Clark

Mackay Joe Ando Easton

MOH Muzz Craig Wotherspoon

McLean Cummins

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Shaughnessy - Easton

O'Halloran - Davidson - Craig - Wotherspoon

MacLean - Cummins

Stop this reactionary pish about dropping anyone who dares have a poor twenty minutes

I agree with you on that back four, the best we've got in my eyes. Constantly chopping and changing the defence won't be helping out Mannus who apart from having a reluctance to claim any crosses in his box hasn't done much wrong and deserves to be cut some slack. Still one of the best shot stoppers I've seen in a Saints shirt who would benefit from having the same back four in front of him to help restore some confidence. 

Mannus

McKay Joe Scobbie Easton 

Thomson Muzz Craig MOH

Macca Cummings 

My game got postponed so it doesn't really count :laugh:

I could get on board with resting O'Halloran and trying something different, but he has absolutely destroyed Accies twice this season already so he'd definitely be in my team.

Cummins for Kane, Craig for Millar are the changes I'd make.

Now that things have settled down I actually agree with this, despite what I said on the MOH thread yesterday. Accies don't play the kind of game Killie play. They will be looking for a reaction to their humiliation yesterday (and he fact we have horsed them twice this season) and I think this will leave gaps for MOH to exploit. I also agree that we should probably persevere with the back four line up. Two weeks before the semi final is probably not the time to start making wholesale changes to the side. 

I agree with RG's team except the positioning of the midfield. I would go: 

MOH Wotherspoon Davidson Craig 

Cummins return will hopefully see a return to goal scoring form for the team in general. We looked über dangerous once he came on yesterday. So glad we've got him on a longer contract. 

Any idea when Lappin will be back? 

Mannus

Mackay   Anderson    Shaughnessy   Easton

Wotherspoon  Davidson   Craig

Maclean

O'Halloran    Cummins

not very likely and probably too attacking, but I'd be tempted to bring O'Halloran into the middle to get him involved far more.  It was when he got moved upfront with Cummins at Hamilton that we destroyed them.  Their midfield is decent but back 4 is rancid, so I would play this one on the front foot and get the ball to the strikers early.. Cummins and Maclean can both hold the ball up well and win flick ons, which MOH might be able to feed off.  Midfield 3 to be workhorses but not too much intricate play in the centre with the state of our pitch.  Let's go for the jugular early.

if it's not working after half an hour, can move O'Halloran wide and go 4-4-2.

Mannus

Mackay   Anderson    Shaughnessy   Easton

Wotherspoon  Davidson   Craig

Maclean

O'Halloran    Cummins

not very likely and probably too attacking, but I'd be tempted to bring O'Halloran into the middle to get him involved far more.  It was when he got moved upfront with Cummins at Hamilton that we destroyed them.  Their midfield is decent but back 4 is rancid, so I would play this one on the front foot and get the ball to the strikers early.. Cummins and Maclean can both hold the ball up well and win flick ons, which MOH might be able to feed off.  Midfield 3 to be workhorses but not too much intricate play in the centre with the state of our pitch.  Let's go for the jugular early.

if it's not working after half an hour, can move O'Halloran wide and go 4-4-2.

We might get something close to that line up and formation, but with O'Halloran and Maclean switching positions.

I can take getting beat, but we lost the battle against Kilmarnock on Saturday - they simply wanted it more than us. Considering the way we've been successful over the years, that worried me more than anything else on show. I want a committed performance on Saturday, back to what we see when we're at our best, and hopefully a win.

I do think dropping Kane is necessary, but it's also quite harsh based on his recent form.

We might get something close to that line up and formation, but with O'Halloran and Maclean switching positions.

I can take getting beat, but we lost the battle against Kilmarnock on Saturday - they simply wanted it more than us. Considering the way we've been successful over the years, that worried me more than anything else on show. I want a committed performance on Saturday, back to what we see when we're at our best, and hopefully a win.

I do think dropping Kane is necessary, but it's also quite harsh based on his recent form.

I think it would be harsh on Kane if he was scoring, or at least coming close to it.

its no coincidence the goals have dried up since Cummins got injured. 

you're maybe right, it's just I was thinking Maclean is really good at dropping in and linking play whilst Mikey's pace could cause problems for what I remember as being a really slow defence.  

Agree with you it would be good to impose ourselves on this game early and really go for them.  So often this season we have been a goal down before we get going.

Now that things have settled down I actually agree with this, despite what I said on the MOH thread yesterday. Accies don't play the kind of game Killie play. They will be looking for a reaction to their humiliation yesterday (and he fact we have horsed them twice this season) and I think this will leave gaps for MOH to exploit. I also agree that we should probably persevere with the back four line up. Two weeks before the semi final is probably not the time to start making wholesale changes to the side. 

I agree with RG's team except the positioning of the midfield. I would go: 

MOH Wotherspoon Davidson Craig 

Cummins return will hopefully see a return to goal scoring form for the team in general. We looked über dangerous once he came on yesterday. So glad we've got him on a longer contract. 

Any idea when Lappin will be back? 

Lappins already back training