Alan Mannus: past his best?

Wee Mental Davie

Yesterdays game proved Tommy should not have changed his defensive line up from our previous match! If he was to now drop Zander and bring back Mannus for our next game at Ibrox this would further unsettle the team who appeared not to be at ease with the manager's changes. Zander kept us in the game with some fine saves prior to halftime when Killie could well have been out of site. The midfield were totally void of pace and any tackling ability yesterday and left the defenders exposed. These same defenders kept punting the ball long to our two forwards MacLean and Kane who were mostly outmuscled and the midfield did not get up in support often enough, or chose the wrong option when they did hold possession. Mannus has been a great servant to the club and will always be a great backup to have should Zander get injured or suspended, for these reasons alone I believe he should be offered another deal, however if we're looking to bring in another player/players he may well be sacrificed and our younger goalies promoted.

Mannus has been a great servant to the club and will always be a great backup to have should Zander get injured or suspended, for these reasons alone I believe he should be offered another deal, however if we're looking to bring in another player/players he may well be sacrificed and our younger goalies promoted.

Sadly I can only see one way for big Al, and it's the door. He'll be looking to get some first team game time at the highest level to prolong his club and international career. If it weren't for Hursty coming through the 20s then Al might have stayed, and as you highlighted, or wage budget will be a factor in it also - so releasing Al will free up wages for another outfield player should we promote Hursty to the first team on a regular basis.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some interesting words from Mannus: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/625750/st-johnstones-alan-mannus-insists-some-things-remain-the-same-despite-season-of-change/

“The younger ones are the future of the club and they have fitted in well.

People who are not the right kind of character don’t last here. Anyone who has come in during my time at the club and been like that usually isn’t here for long.

“The team spirit we have had over the years is still there – the faces have changed a bit but it feels the same.”