Aberdeen v Saints 27/2/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

It's a very good point away from home under the circumstances. Aberdeen would've been buoyed by the Celtic result the night before and our midfield looked scary to be honest. I was dreading it a bit. One thing I would say is Aberdeen are just like any other side out with Celtic - take out guys like Rooney, Hayes and Logan and they don't have the strength in depth to cope with it. They were equally hampered by absences as we were. They won't win the league over the course of a season for this reason. 

I almost don't want to be critical but we are so slow and one dimensional that we didn't look like scoring all day yesterday and Aberdeen really were strolling to a 1-0 win. It was only after the subs came on that we looked more lively and ultimately the situation for the penalty arose. If you read the Aberdeen forum you will see they think the referees in this country don't want them to win the league and thats why we got the penalty but from where I was sitting it's as obvious a penalty as you will see. Liam did very well. 

I still can't quite fathom how we've gone from the team of September/October to this? The loss of the pace of MOH is obvious at times but we went up there and recorded our best result and arguably performance of the season without him. Our players look slower than ever and seriously lacking in fitness compared to some of our opponents. I'm always happy to look to the next game and hope it will be better. We really need it to be better. Even if we just get one of the midfield M's back it would improve the midfield immeasurably. The most frustrating thing about Saints right now is watching players like Spoony and Swanson dithering on the ball because there's nothing in front of them (strikers???) and they don't want to pass back (probably due to the fans moaning to be honest!) then being dispossessed and putting us under pressure again  

The other thing I find beyond tedious is the repetitive kick from Mannus to the far left of the pitch. That awful thing we do from the kick off where the ball is passed back to Fisher and he lumps it forward to the same position is equally tiresome. We seem incapable of holding the ball for any extended period of time which means we can't get any sort of attack together and leads to the individual errors that have cost us so many goals this season. We really need to work on keeping possession better and if that means ditching those tired tactics then so be it. We rarely win that long punt anyway.  

Onto the positives - Anderson was outstanding yesterday and Shaughnessy did well. I'm also starting to like Fisher which is quite something after witnessing his night at Motherwell in December with my own eyes. Kane and Thomson gave us a bit of a spark and some pace (God help us, we need pace) and Craig did very well with the penalty. I saw someone on P&B saying Lappin isn't a CM but I thought he did well in what he was asked to do. He was talking to everyone around him and trying to get in Aberdeen players faces. You could see Mannus was trying to be more commanding in the area at set pieces and made some vital saves. The problem is we give away for too many dead ball situations. They had corners into the double figures yesterday and we didn't have one. That tells the story of where we are at the moment. The defence is getting better and the rest of the team really needs to step up and stop putting them under so much pressure. 

Edited by SaintSam1884

I challenge anyone who thinks that was a legit penalty to watch it again on t.v.

One, Jack touches the ball.  How anyone can argue he took man before ball when Jack is goal-side is ridiculous.

Two, the St Johnstone player Craig clearly dives and simulates contact - watch him.

Three, Craig approaches Jack at the end and admits that it wasn't a penalty.  Case closed.

Even at first sight the challenge looked entirely soft and innocuous. 

COYR

:laugh: 

I actually thought Brown was very unlucky to be subbed at half time. He looked calm on the ball, dangerous when hovering around the edge of the box for any scraps and importantly he stayed close to Lappin when hassling Aberdeen's playmakers.

Goals change games and I'm guessing Tommy thought we were sitting too deep with Brown and Lappin. I have to confess that I do like Brown in there.

:laugh: 

From the Aberdeen forum? One of my favourites... 

"We will never be ALLOWED to win the league" 

Are these people for real? They've done well to compete with Celtic given the massive difference in squads and budgets. It's nothing to do with the referees and governing bodies. Collum played his part against Inverness but Inverness were the better side in a game where Aberdeen let their performance levels drop too far. Yesterday they struggled because three key men were out. I only recognised one name on their subs bench. Their first team is good enough to compete with Celtic but their squad isn't. Easier to just blame the referees and slag off the tactics of the "small" teams than accept they just aren't as big as they like to think they are. 

From the Aberdeen forum? One of my favourites... 

"We will never be ALLOWED to win the league" 

Are these people for real? They've done well to compete with Celtic given the massive difference in squads and budgets. It's nothing to do with the referees and governing bodies. Collum played his part against Inverness but Inverness were the better side in a game where Aberdeen let their performance levels drop too far. Yesterday they struggled because three key men were out. I only recognised one name on their subs bench. Their first team is good enough to compete with Celtic but their squad isn't. Easier to just blame the referees and slag off the tactics of the "small" teams than accept they just aren't as big as they like to think they are. 

Seen a lot of comments from Aberdeen fans regarding corruption etc :razz: 

It's more to do with refs being pretty terrible and inconsistent tbh. 

I actually thought Brown was very unlucky to be subbed at half time. He looked calm on the ball, dangerous when hovering around the edge of the box for any scraps and importantly he stayed close to Lappin when hassling Aberdeen's playmakers.

Goals change games and I'm guessing Tommy thought we were sitting too deep with Brown and Lappin. I have to confess that I do like Brown in there.

Another excellent post. I'm coming around to thinking you know what you are doing.

Let's get real. It was an absolute stonewaller. Bias or no, it was obvious at the time and even more obvious after watching the Alba highlights.

Hope this is a typo young man! A guy with your qualifications surely wouldn't have a post like this. Either that or your Scottish side has slipped into conversation. 

Tweets on the Unofficial Twitter from the man who had a heart attacks son, says hes going to be okay.

Also in the Press and Journal.

Well done to everybody who did their bit (Saintee Fans Included)

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/847640/quick-thinking-medics-save-football-fans-life/

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/847640/quick-thinking-medics-save-football-fans-life/

That's a brilliant story. Well done to everyone and best wishes to Mr Walker.

Really does make you think about football, and the adverse effect it can have your health. 

A great ending and hopefully he makes a quick and full recovery.

Really shows how important it is to have trained professional ambulance staff at the ground.

Puts football into perspective and when we were awardee the penalty really didn't know whether we should be celebrating or not given the situation behind us.

Hope this is a typo young man! A guy with your qualifications surely wouldn't have a post like this. Either that or your Scottish side has slipped into conversation. 

:laugh: It's an interesting one. I have two possible explanations. It's up to you to decide which explanation is more truthful.

1. Of course, as 'bias' is a noun, 'bias or not' wouldn't work so well. I could have gone with the safer option of 'biased or not'. In this instance, I decided to be colloquial and shorten the phrase 'bias or no bias', ending up with 'bias or no'. I made a brave decision (with the knowledge that I'm surrounded by like-minded Saints supporters) to be more informal in my use of language. Whilst it may frowned upon in a grammatical sense, I feel no regret in my decision to implement such an unusual literary device.

2. I posted from my mobile phone. I made a mess of it.

Edited by The Real Saints