welcome michael coulson

saint-johns-toun

Saints are pleased to announce the signing, on a pre-contract basis, of midfielder Michael Coulson on a two-year deal.

The 27 year old is currently with York City and previously played for Scarborough, Barnsley and Grimsby Town.

Manager Tommy Wright said: “Michael is a player I’ve admired for some time and we tried to sign him in the transfer window but couldn’t make it happen. However, I am delighted to get him on board as our plans to improve the squad for next season continue.”

Welcome. I don't know too much about him but he's playing at a horrendous level of Football at York City. Whilst the SPL isn't exactly a top league it's still a step up in terms of quality so interesting that we've committed to giving him a 2 year deal. The manager must really rate him. Our success rate from players from League 2 clubs hasn't exactly been great - Cleveland Taylor anyone. 

Dont know anything about him, however trust Tommy's judgement.

Inverness have made some good signings over the past few years from the lower English leagues. Hopefully Michael will prove his ability.

I suspect that he will be a replacement for someone already in the squad. I wonder who is leaving.

Surely our manager should be looking to attract players of a higher standard .weve had a couple of not so good players from these depths.no disrespect to the player,it's going to be a tougher league next season

I know people say finances,crowds etc surely Mr Brown takes a wee gamble on maybe 2 top class players (he's saving money on tickets,private joke)

my worry is we don't get in about 5 good standard players were in for a fight next season ,were punching above our weight for a while now . Hope the guy proves me wrong 

Profile from York website;

Quick of brain and skilful on the ball, Michael Coulson extended his City contract by a further two years in the summer of 2014. 

Comfortable on either flank or playing as a second striker, Coulson is a diverse player who is both a maker and taker of chances. 

Coulson arrived at City in the summer of 2012 after sealing a move from Grimsby Town following a stint playing in the Championship with Barnsley and starting off with City’s now defunct neighbours Scarborough, including for a long time being Scarborough’s youngest ever goalscorer. 

His time at Grimsby marked him out as one of the most feared widemen in the National League and he has continued that form in a City shirt, with the ability to score fantastic goals such as the screamer he netted on his debut away at Doncaster and the free kick that was voted City’s Moment of the Season at home against Newport during the 2013/14 season. 

Coulson will be relishing the challenge of competing for both the wide and striking roles next season following a solid few seasons, producing a total of 16 goals for City. 
Read more at http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/team/player-profile/michael-coulson/7#sTXhHc4RhTTYEh2l.99

Tommy's bad singings tend to be the ones he's forced into rather than his actual targets e.g. Fallon and Morgan. Coulson seems to be one of his taegets so here's hoping he'll fit in.

Don't know about League 2 being a horrendous level. Taylor was garbage but Cummins has been more than useful.

http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-michael-coulson-3011470.aspx#IDx7UX7OshGlk0zD.99

Tommy's still sticking two fingers right up at Jackie. Hero.

"YORK City Football Club is surprised and disappointed to learn that Michael Coulson has signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. 

The Club is particularly disconcerted with the timing of this announcement. 

The Club hopes that Michael Coulson is still committed to his current employer and is focused on York City’s fight for Football League survival."

http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-michael-coulson-3011470.aspx#IDx7UX7OshGlk0zD.99

Tommy's still sticking two fingers right up at Jackie. Hero.

"YORK City Football Club is surprised and disappointed to learn that Michael Coulson has signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. 

The Club is particularly disconcerted with the timing of this announcement. 

The Club hopes that Michael Coulson is still committed to his current employer and is focused on York City’s fight for Football League survival."

That's a pretty shitty statement to release. Openly questioning his professional commitment, hard to believe Jackie is in charge there. Can't see why this is a surprise to York.We were interested in January, he hadn't signed an extension (presume one was offered) so every chance he'd sign a PCA between Feb and April.

Don't see how the timing has any impact on their current situation....they've been crap all season.

Tommy's bad singings tend to be the ones he's forced into rather than his actual targets e.g. Fallon and Morgan. Coulson seems to be one of his taegets so here's hoping he'll fit in.

Don't know about League 2 being a horrendous level. Taylor was garbage but Cummins has been more than useful.

Cummins had played for Preston and had a really good scoring record in Ireland. Coulson hasn't hit those heights.

Cummins had played for Preston and had a really good scoring record in Ireland. Coulson hasn't hit those heights.

He did earn a move to Championship Barnsley in the past though.

Tbh, not the marque signing I was hoping would kick off our 'spending spree' but happy to give him a chance. Welcome, Michael.

Guest ScottMann

Sounds like a promising youngster that never made it and at almost 28 has spent his career in non league or fourth division football. It's a hell of a risk. The checked him out/after him for a while/pre contract situation doesn't really help either given the Brad McKay situation. We shall see though.

That's a pretty shitty statement to release. Openly questioning his professional commitment, hard to believe Jackie is in charge there. Can't see why this is a surprise to York.We were interested in January, he hadn't signed an extension (presume one was offered) so every chance he'd sign a PCA between Feb and April.

Don't see how the timing has any impact on their current situation....they've been crap all season.

I've been resigned to relegation for some time, but with even a slight chance that survival was possible, you'd have hoped everyone would be pulling together to try and save the club.

The last thing any club would want, is to learn from an announcement on another club's website that this wasn't the case.

Relegation might have a negative impact on our new stadium (yet another hostile council meeting in a couple of hours) and if that goes belly-up, our proud little club will certainly die.

So yes, the manner and timing of the announcement are of great significance.

Coulson's departure of itself won't finish us off (he'll certainly keep your physio busy and save us a fortune in insurance) but the fallout has the potential to be extremely damaging to York City.

That said, we've been ****ed over before, and no doubt will again - it's something the diddy clubs in England have had to get used to, just as they have in Scotland.

I don't think there was any intention on Saints' part to **** York over to be fair. Saints tried to sign him in January, so York will have been well aware of our interest. I'd imagine we'll have contacted York when pre-contract negotiations started, and probably after they were concluded as well. The issue from York's perspective seems to be that we've announced this deal publically.

I didn't know you guys have a potentially important council meeting today, so this is probably not the best thing to have happened today. It doesn't seem to me that Saints have actually done anything wrong though? Perhaps poor etiquette, but I can't see that being a malicious act, maybe a misunderstanding.

I must say I find it a bit strange that Grovesred has seemingly placed the possible demise of his cub on the shoulders of Saints and Coulson.

1.  If a "hostile" council meeting has been scheduled for today to discuss a new stadium plan I think it is stretching credulity to suggest that a soon to be out of contract player trying to secure his future is likely to affect the outcome.  If a council is "hostile" to your plans that usually means your bum is out the window (and has been for some time) unless you can persuade it to become less hostile and I think I can confidently say Mr Coulson's future intentions will not be of the slightest interest.

2.  Whilst it is obvious that Coulson has been crossed off Grovesred's Xmas card list I do not think it is equally obvious that the lad's efforts to secure his immediate future mean that he will not still be trying his best for York whilst he is still their player. 

3.  If York did not realise Saints would wish to go public on a new signing then they are naive in the extreme.  I have no doubt Saints would have delayed the announcement for a few days if York thought it that important and asked.