McIntyre's Bakery in Bridgend

Comrade_Skhokho

Rember it well, some great fare to be had therein particularly during breaks from houkin, barraloads of tar digging ditches and generally repairing the general infrastructure of Bridgend in the mid 1980's. The lassies were a great bunch, always a good laugh.

Been gone for quite some time now I believe.

I remember they started making the rolls from a machine and they were never the same again. The end followed not long after (if memory serves).

Yer right. The German machinery wisnae in the same class as the handmade rolls.

Spent my school dinner money in McIntyres. Braw.

Put a post on a few years ago about this, They bought a german machine which you could put Bread doughs through it, but not Scots rolls dough,the old rolls were made using ( BFT ) Bulk Fermentation Time where the dough was started off using old dough and letting it rise and knocking it back to get the air out off it, to develop the dough and improve flavour, the new system which is used today ( Chorleywood ) allows Bakers to mix and make bread quicker, in the plant Bakeries, Hovis, Warburtons, you can make a dough put it through a bread plant Prove Bake Cool and bag in 3.5 Hours 6500 loaves a hour most plants run 24 hours for 6.5 days.

Put a post on a few years ago about this, They bought a german machine which you could put Bread doughs through it, but not Scots rolls dough,the old rolls were made using ( BFT ) Bulk Fermentation Time where the dough was started off using old dough and letting it rise and knocking it back to get the air out off it, to develop the dough and improve flavour, the new system which is used today ( Chorleywood ) allows Bakers to mix and make bread quicker, in the plant Bakeries, Hovis, Warburtons, you can make a dough put it through a bread plant Prove Bake Cool and bag in 3.5 Hours 6500 loaves a hour most plants run 24 hours for 6.5 days.

Great post Doughboy :wink:

It was a steep step of stairs to get down on to the baker's factory on a Friday night after stumbling out of The Riverside at 2 am. But very worthwhile the result in a freshly baked and warm Scottish roll.

I would buy 6. One to be eaten dry on the way home and then flashing up the grill and having a sausage and bacon feast early hours of the morning. Rickardo nearly burnt down my maw's kitchen down trying to cook whilst bladdered ! 

• 2 weeks later...

i can tell you exactly what happened coz i worked in there for 8 months...i used to make the scotch pie shells, the bakery itself was filthy (honest) i made about 800 pie shells a day, and they were still using them 4 or 5 days later...anyhoo, mcintyre was struggling big time by xmas 1998 - he cut all our wages down to under £3 an hour!!! my april 1999 he went into liquidation, sold the recipes to tower bakery and then eventually...after a bitter divorce - committed suicide.. I dunno what all this nonsense is about a german dough making machine, all i ever saw was the bakers rolling the dough by hand! lotsa memories of that place...most of them bad!!!

I fitted a big industrial fridge in the bake house, needed a big crane on the bridge to lower it in through a window.

The place was ****in manky with pigeons shite everywhere, put me off MC Intyres rolls for life.

That's probably what gave them their flavour.

i can tell you exactly what happened coz i worked in there for 8 months...i used to make the scotch pie shells, the bakery itself was filthy (honest) i made about 800 pie shells a day, and they were still using them 4 or 5 days later...anyhoo, mcintyre was struggling big time by xmas 1998 - he cut all our wages down to under £3 an hour!!! my april 1999 he went into liquidation, sold the recipes to tower bakery and then eventually...after a bitter divorce - committed suicide.. I dunno what all this nonsense is about a german dough making machine, all i ever saw was the bakers rolling the dough by hand! lotsa memories of that place...most of them bad!!!

Pie shells by there nature can be stored and used for up to a week ( unless they have changed the recipe) its over 40 years since I made any.

The Nonsense you talk about was relaid to me about 10 years from a Bakery Machine Rep who I used to deal with who when he found out I came from Perth informed myself about it.

Pie shells by there nature can be stored and used for up to a week ( unless they have changed the recipe) its over 40 years since I made any.

The Nonsense you talk about was relaid to me about 10 years from a Bakery Machine Rep who I used to deal with who when he found out I came from Perth informed myself about it.

yeh but the ones i made werent stored in a fridge or anything and were even going green!!!

well i can assure you that the bridgend bakery didnt use it, they must have sold it on, or it was in the storage room with all the other buggered machinery...the place was covered in broken stuff (even the rope on the dumb waiter broke - so we had to take all the rolls and cakes etc up 3 floors to the bakery)