Co-op

ECY

About halfway between South St and Canal St round the corner into Canal St which ended wie the milk shop which looked down Charles St, then on the other side off Canal St the Co-op started from the steamies along to Scott St then round the corner to about halfway to Victoria St. The Co-op jiners shop wis next to where the Twa Tams is

In addition to above, there was a co-op grocery in Nth.Methven St. at the corner with Atholl Street. Had home delivery on a Thursday.

Also on the opposite side of the street, (south of St. Ninian's school) near where the launderette is now, existed a co-op butchers shop. Animal carcasses were hanging from hooks in the ceiling and sawdust on the shop floor to catch the drips from the meat.

Health and safety would have a field day, if it was nowadays.

Edited by HOODLUM65

They also had a couple of shops in  County Place where The County Hotel is now on the corner if I remember correctly 1 was the coal office and the other the milk shop. They also had the milk depot (originally the stables) on Feus Road. 

Edited by ejksjfc

• 2 weeks later...

Two little things I remember about the Scott street coop. The old fashioned lift with an attendant. My brother and I summoned it and were told quite sternly "You boys walk up the stairs". Also the pneumatic tubes into which the assistant put your money and two minutes later your change and receipt appeared as if by magic.

The Co-op grocery dept. in North Methven St. had what seemed like a pulley system from the counter at one side of the store to the elevated Office at the other side of the store. The bill and monies were put into an enclosed "cup" and when, (what can  best be described as a lavvy handle and chain was pulled), the money etc was catapulted on an overhead wire to the Office, before making the return journey with your change.

Those tubes were brilliant. I remember being in big government offices which had them, thinking, "technology can never improve on this". 

Worked in Gov. Est. where Pneumatic tubes with contents were sent through plastic pipe network.

Documents and small components were transported in this manner.

Due to increased security risks, and the fact it was always breaking down, the system was discontinued.

Another waste of tax payers money.