Paul Paton

rik2304

Interesting, because not so very long ago the chat was all about how Muz and Pats together in the middle doesn't work 

I must confess to having these thoughts but I'm one of the converted now.

I just thought they were both very defensive players, neither of them could show the creativity that Midge was able to provide from that position. We've enough creativity now though with Spoony, Scoug, and MOH in front of these two.

I'm expecting Broon and co to at least know they've been in a game this Saturday.

It was easy for Paton and Davidson against thistle as they tried to go physical and punt it at us. We love that!

Totally different when players run at us with pace or we're expected to keep the ball. That's where these guys fall a little short and you need a Millar.

He's got better as the games have gone on, as he really struggled in the first game against Trakai.

Thought he did well at Killie and on Saturday he was very good.

A good player to have in the squad, and always gives his all.

Not sure about this proven people wrong that him and Muzz together doesn't work well though.. . that was as a central midfield pair in a 4-4-2, the argument being we don't have enough creativity or keep the ball enough.  I've still to see that be effective as far as I can recall..

They've worked well as the holding pair, allowing ScougZ, MOH and Spoony to do their thing. Also worked well on Saturday with Paton protecting the back 4, and Muzz further forward alongside Spoony.  Credit to the manager for setting up in a way that maximises our players' strengths.

I have concerns about his lack of pace/ mobility against celtics very quick players, and his tendency to dive in. But hopefully it's proven unjustified and he dominates Scott Brown, boots a few Celtic players all over the place (fairly) and riles the locals!

• 5 months later...

So he decided to leave.  Interesting, Should have seen the season out, bet that he regrets his actions at that meeting with the gaffer. Pride or stubborn?  Then a wee moan in the paper.  Disappointing.  He should have not agreed anything that day and seen out his contract. Bet he took the huff and reacted poorly to no new contract, he should have taken time, a few days before deciding what to do. Only got himself to blame for the late release... bet TW still wanted him till end of season.

Edited by Dave H

39 minutes ago, Dave H said:

So he decided to leave.  Interesting, Should have seen the season out, bet that he regrets his actions at that meeting with the gaffer. Pride or stubborn?  Then a wee moan in the paper.  Disappointing.  He should have not agreed anything that day and seen out his contract. Bet he took the huff and reacted poorly to no new contract, he should have taken time, a few days before deciding what to do. Only got himself to blame for the late release... bet TW still wanted him till end of season.

I'm confused where it says it was his choice to leave? If the club are going to pay off your contract and cancel your registration there isn't much you can do about it

12 minutes ago, TheMarkChristie said:

I'm confused where it says it was his choice to leave? If the club are going to pay off your contract and cancel your registration there isn't much you can do about it

Was it not he Was being released at the end of his contract but was told he could go now if he came to a settlement.

Told not getting a contract for next season. Then all of a sudden one party PP saying he was getting settlement immediately and says bye to players.  That's not how business is done unless PP has stuck the middle finger up and walked with his cash.  PP, imo has walked, no wonder it seemed bizarre at the time having just played 90mins in the cup. He ultimately has left us short for rest of season. Seems more plausible as very odd departure to be honest, if he was fringe then could understand release, but he was one the first team. 

Edited by Dave H

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Was it not he Was being released at the end of his contract but was told he could go now if he came to a settlement.

Exactly. Paul's choice to take the settlement and find a new club. If anything he put himself in a good position by being a free agent and I'm surprised that he's not got a club.

Correct decision by the club...he was never going to get a new deal (regardless of what the article says) and he was wouldn't be in many people's first 11. Saves some money over the next 3/4 months.

Putting yourself in the shop window by playing for us for next few months would have been the correct decision, free agent in summer. Who knows there might have been a change of thought by TW/SB, to give a new contract after his Messi style performances tail end of season

Edited by Dave H

2 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Told not getting a contract. Then all of a sudden one party PP saying he was getting settlement immediately and says bye to players.  That's not how business is done unless PP has stuck the middle finger up and walked with his cash.  PP, imo has walked, no wonder it seemed bizarre at the time having just played 90mins in the cup. He ultimately has left us short for rest of season. Seems more plausible as very odd departure to be honest.  

I think that's exactly what happened. "Paul, you're not getting a new contract...do you want a chunk of your next 4 months wages up front if you just go now?"..."aye, ok then"...

If I was confident that I'd get a half decent club, I'd do the same.