Paul Paton

rik2304

I'd hope not if he's playing at the same level as last season, but he's always played when available before. He's still the captain though.

We never had an adequate right back replacement before. Can't see MacKay being anything other than cover for RB or CB, in which case he probably loses the captaincy.

Having said that, if he plays regularly, he's captain.

Ahead of Dave Mackay aye?

No chance. He might get promoted to stand in though.

is mackay now 36? Recovering from major surgery? Cracking professional and cup winning captian, his place in the heart and history of the club secure....but I doubt he will captain saints again till he is full fit and back to format. .....won't be July!

is mackay now 36? Recovering from major surgery? Cracking professional and cup winning captian, his place in the heart and history of the club secure....but I doubt he will captain saints again till he is full fit and back to format. .....won't be July!

fair call. CupTie though is old school, will do anything for the team. Be interesting what TW does with him.

• 3 months later...

Two Saints players in the same full international squad managed that's by an ex-Saints player. Must be a first.

Guess what that squad is far more successful than our Scotland squad ....

I despise the Scotland management team for continuously ignoring provincial teams with quality players  and their do what your told prehistoric management methods  

Strachan is a dope who's style and choice is done   

Move on to  a younger more driven manager as this ginger will not qualify us guaranteed  

worse record than Levine 

So who would you choose, Krusty?

I truly wish all the people who clearly know me would be kind enough to tell me who they are .. So far only 3 have been kind enough to put a face to their wap name.  

Player wise 

Jordan Rhodes how the fk that guy is not in the squad makes me gasp 

I would certainly of given Zander an experience as third choice for being phonomenal so far one of the best records in SPL ....

I would also consider Crawford from Hamilton. 

Manager wise 

Malky McKay 

Guess what that squad is far more successful than our Scotland squad ....

I despise the Scotland management team for continuously ignoring provincial teams with quality players  and their do what your told prehistoric management methods  

Strachan is a dope who's style and choice is done   

Move on to  a younger more driven manager as this ginger will not qualify us guaranteed  

worse record than Levine 

Even with my blue tinted glasses on Paton would get nowhere near the Scotland squad. 

I truly wish all the people who clearly know me would be kind enough to tell me who they are .. So far only 3 have been kind enough to put a face to their wap name.  

Player wise 

I would certainly of given Zander an experience as third choice for being phonomenal so far one of the best records in SPL ....

Manager wise 

Malky McKay 

Malky McKay - a guy who is struggling to get a managers job at present due to his history at Cardiff. And you want him at Scotland ???

Rhodes is not exactly setting the heather on fire at Boro 6 goals in 18 games

Zander has settled in well but I would rather see him keeping on playing well with us and earning his stripes over a longer period before looking to get a Scotland call up. Too many get picked for a good few performances and then slip away into the sunset.

Player wise 

Manager wise 

Malky McKay 

Malky? I could comment a plenty on this but yer a sensitive wee soul and might think being aggressive. 

Player wise 

Manager wise 

Malky McKay 

Agree with your thoughts on the current Scotland management (Strachan is rubbish), but not sure about these suggestions. Jordan Rhodes has only started one league match all season and hasn't scored. Zander is a promising keeper but isn't even properly established as Saints number 1 yet. Not sure if you're being serious about Malky Mackay, but clearly the SFA would/could never appoint him.

I would definitely take more of an interest in the Scotland team if it felt like consistent performers from the Scottish Premier League would always be given a fair chance, regardless of who their club is. When I see a Hibs player getting called up (I mean, seriously, Hibs!), but Saints players routinely ignored despite consistently competing at the top end of the Premier League year upon year, it fills me with utter apathy and disinterest.

Agree with you in general re ignoring consistently good SPFFPPLFL players from smaller clubs, but seriously, who in the current Saints squad is good enough for Scotland? Sure, half the team would do fine in low-level friendlies, but there's no point in calling anyone up who isn't good enough to go on and  play in a crucial qualifier against England or Slovakia. I think calling players up just as a nod to smaller clubs before dropping them when the serious stuff comes around would be deeply patronising. If Swanson and Clark continue to do very well, I can see them getting looked at eventually, but arnt Scotland quite well off in their positions? Muzz won't get the call for the same reason he didn't get his transfer, injuries. Who else is there? 

I think the guy most likely to get the call could well be Tommy Wright! There's very few Scottish managers both good enough and willing to work for that money.

Malky McKay - a guy who is struggling to get a managers job at present due to his history at Cardiff. And you want him at Scotland ???

Rhodes is not exactly setting the heather on fire at Boro 6 goals in 18 games

Zander has settled in well but I would rather see him keeping on playing well with us and earning his stripes over a longer period before looking to get a Scotland call up. Too many get picked for a good few performances and then slip away into the sunset.

And fletcher is

Genuinely never thought I'd ever see anyone complaining that Ali ****ing Crawford isn't in the Scotland squad. A 25 year old nobody who Hamilton fans deride for having one good game every two months, who can only play in an attacking midfield role where he'd be competing with Robert Snodgrass or Oliver Burke. 

Zander should be in the squad instead of Hamilton. The other players we should've had called up at some point are Anderson (who's been the most consistent top flight defender for years now, but still sits behind Mark Reynolds, who barely starts for Aberdeen anymore, in the pecking order), Mackay, O'Halloran and May.