The I suppose we should have a Euros thread thread

Abernethy Saint

No, England suffering from being a group of admittedly very talented players who cannot play as a team. I said at the outset of this tournament that England did not have the mentality to win it that was proven tonight.

Are they really "very talented" though? I honestly can't remember England having a weaker selection of players to choose from in the last 25-30 years. The pundits in the studio seemed baffled that "the richest league in the world" can produce such a guff England team, but you can give guys like Sterling all the money in the world and it's not going to suddenly make them world beaters.

Also think Iceland have had very little credit for how well they played. They didn't just park the bus and get lucky. They played very, very well (actually played a bit like Saints do when we get it right against supposedly bigger or better sides). And despite the media portrayal of them, they're not a bunch of dentists and fishermen - look at their squad list to see that many of them are playing their club football at a very good level. Wouldn't be all that surprised if they get through the next round too.

Your comments are what is at the bottom of many of Scottish football's (old firm related problems), that SHOULDN'T matter one little bit and SHOULD not be a talking point.

You are, of course, quite right a referee making the sign of the cross at the end of the match should not matter and should not be a talking point.  But if it happened at the end of an OF game it would matter and it would be a talking point.  Until that changes we will continue to have "old firm related problems".

I am surprised you do not also castigate me for my anti English attitude.  Before you do I can assure you it only applies to the football team and the pundits who go with it.  Tomorrow I will sit down and hope the English cricket team give the Sri Lankan cricket team a bit of a doing despite having nothing whatsoever against Sri Lanka.  

I routinely cheer on English folk in sports where (for now) we compete as the UK. Where we compete as Scotland, our big neighbour will always be the one we want to beat, and the one we want to see beat. Like others, I can't stand their pundits - it's not so much the attitude when they win, it's when they lose, and act like some earth-shaking event has occurred, because it is the natural order of things for English chaps to win everything. In doing so, they routinely insult the teams, often inherently better teams, they have lost to.

I routinely cheer on English folk in sports s. now) we compete as the UK. Where we compete as Scotland, our big neighbour will always be the one we want to beat, and the one we want to see beat. Like others, I can't stand their pundits - it's not so much the attitude when they win, it's when they lose, and act like some earth-shaking event has occurred, because it is the natural order of things for English chaps to win everything. In doing so, they routinely insult the teams, often inherently better teams, they have lost to.

At least it has put the referendum out of the headines.

At half time the pundits were discussing whether Joe Hart should play in the quarter final against France!

The utter arrogance that they show is what makes it all the sweeter when they under perform on a big stage yet again! 

The first thing that came into my head at full time last night was this....

You are, of course, quite right a referee making the sign of the cross at the end of the match should not matter and should not be a talking point.  But if it happened at the end of an OF game it would matter and it would be a talking point.  Until that changes we will continue to have "old firm related problems".

I am surprised you do not also castigate me for my anti English attitude.  Before you do I can assure you it only applies to the football team and the pundits who go with it.  Tomorrow I will sit down and hope the English cricket team give the Sri Lankan cricket team a bit of a doing despite having nothing whatsoever against Sri Lanka.  

I apologise South Inch and also Cagey my post wasn't having a go at either of your posts rather it was pointing out the unacceptable assumption that in Scottish football that it is ok to castigate someone for having a different religion to yourself. I still remember years ago the Patrick Thistle sub coming on who got booked for crossing himself, totally unacceptable the referee and the SFA should have been done in that instance. Before anyone asks I am not RC, I am  however an Elder and also part time employee of CofS. Apologies also for taking this thread off topic.

Are they really "very talented" though? I honestly can't remember England having a weaker selection of players to choose from in the last 25-30 years. The pundits in the studio seemed baffled that "the richest league in the world" can produce such a guff England team, but you can give guys like Sterling all the money in the world and it's not going to suddenly make them world beaters.

Also think Iceland have had very little credit for how well they played. They didn't just park the bus and get lucky. They played very, very well (actually played a bit like Saints do when we get it right against supposedly bigger or better sides). And despite the media portrayal of them, they're not a bunch of dentists and fishermen - look at their squad list to see that many of them are playing their club football at a very good level. Wouldn't be all that surprised if they get through the next round too.

I do genuinely believe England have at least 3 (Rooney, Sterling, Kane) and possibly more who would make the "team of the tournament". They are I concede a very poor "team". The fact that they are picked from clubs playing in the "greatest league in the world" means less than feck all, a high % of players in the E P L are non-English.

I do fully agree with you that Iceland have had very little credit for what they have done so far (C.Ronaldo showed his true colours after the Ice v Port game, totally disrespectful) defending is every bit as much part of the game as scoring.

I apologise South Inch and also Cagey my post wasn't having a go at either of your posts rather it was pointing out the unacceptable assumption that in Scottish football that it is ok to castigate someone for having a different religion to yourself. I still remember years ago the Patrick Thistle sub coming on who got booked for crossing himself, totally unacceptable the referee and the SFA should have been done in that instance. Before anyone asks I am not RC, I am  however an Elder and also part time employee of CofS. Apologies also for taking this thread off topic.

Apology accepted, I think I too should apologise for taking the thread off topic.

He was surely taking the piss.

I wasn't taking the piss though I admit my choice of player to highlight my point was a bit suspect. I do stick with my point though they are a group of players underachieving for the talents they have because they can't play as a team.

I wasn't taking the piss though I admit my choice of player to highlight my point was a bit suspect. I do stick with my point though they are a group of players underachieving for the talents they have because they can't play as a team.

I take it you mean that you think they're among the best players in tne tournament, rather than those who have played best in the tournament? Because from what I've seen, all three have done very little throughout the tournament.

I think England do have some young players who are fast and strong and athletic and have some decent touches with the ball at their feet. I think guys like Sterling, Rose, Sturridge and some others fit into that category. But if you look at the way they move the ball around, and compare it to Germany or Italy or Spain, the difference is like night and day. I don't think they're underachieving - I think scraping just beyond the group stage or perhaps reaching a quarter final if lucky is exactly their level.

Also, I think Roy Hodgson works very well with a particular kind of player (the kind he brought together at West Brom and Fulham) - hard working battlers who excel as the underdog and will pull together as a team to be greater than the sum of their parts. But the England squad just doesn't have players like that, and England don't like to be seen as underdogs, and I guess that's partly why he was the wrong appointment for them. Ironically, I think Iceland have the type of squad that Hodgson would be well suited to.

The truth is England can't stand up to the likes of Spain, Italy, Germany or France when it comes to technical ability, but if they were to set up a team to play to their strengths there is no doubt they could of done well at the competition.

Hodgson made some horrific decisions as manager in this tournament. For a man with so much experience and such a decent record he looked completely clueless.

Ultimately a team should always make the formation and style and then chose the players that suit that style- not make sure the players that have big reputations are brought into the side in any position they can be shoe-horned into.

England should of put into the side the grafters that can work for a full 90 minutes and then hit opponents with pace on the break from players that have proven they can play great passes from deep. Drinkwater and Milner would of been in my side with full-backs allowed to support wingers. It would of gave another line of defence to a average centre back pairing.

Its incredible that Gareth Southgate can be linked to the job- he wouldn't even stand a chance of getting the Scotland or Wales job and that line of thinking pretty much shows why we Scots don't need to worry about the English replacing the 66 drivel with any new victories in the near future.