STRIP SUPPLIERS OF DAYS GONE BY

mainstand

We should have a full red away kit. If it is anything other than that this year then the board need to resign! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST JOHNSTONE  KITS ON SALE >>>>  https://bitly.com/stjohnstone-clearance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember Saints playing all in red back in the 70s I think? 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/St_Johnstone/St_Johnstone.htm

There you go all the old kit umbro followed by matchwinner bukta then saints collection xara surridge and finally joma

And just for Blue heaven surprisingly few years of white socks. But God they red socks were the worst.

In all the years I've supported Saints we've never had blue top/white shorts/white socks. Not even once. It's a travesty. Some people waited all their lives for us to win a Cup. I'm waiting all mine for white shorts and socks.

Incidentally, just to be pedantic, the "pink" stripe mentioned higher up the thread was actually just very narrow red and white pinstripes.

Matchwinner top late eighties with Famous Grouse on it, winning the 2nd Div in this and the bukta tops after this in the early nineties, good tops and good memories, maybe sentimental .

The Blue Bonar left pinned to a wall in a bar in Ibiza during Euro 96.

I went to a mid-week meet the manager day (!) with Totten, and my only question was "will we get a new top with a sponsor". We'd had the pinstripe one for my entire childhood - that's what i thought at least.... cue the glorious matchwinner one.

------------------ SIGNED SAINTS SHIRT x 22 PLAYERS -------------------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172273606681

------------------ SIGNED SAINTS SHIRT x 22 PLAYERS -------------------

• 2 weeks later...

You occasionally see folk at games wearing the TOFFS retro top from the 60s.  It has stitched letters "S J F C" on the left.  That lettering never appeared on any Saints kit.

http://www.toffs.com/content/images/thumbs/0017558_st-johnstone-1972-1977-retro-football-shirt.jpeg

...apart from the weird white away kit we had which had season ticket holders names on it and mimicked that lettering as if it was a proper "retro" look for us, even though it was something that only ever previously appeared on a Toffs shirt.

Hope Saints bring out more of these retro shirts as that current one looks really nice, but I always feel that the lack of manufacturer's logos or sponsor's logos makes them stand out a mile as inauthentic.

...apart from the weird white away kit we had which had season ticket holders names on it and mimicked that lettering as if it was a proper "retro" look for us, even though it was something that only ever previously appeared on a Toffs shirt.

Hope Saints bring out more of these retro shirts as that current one looks really nice, but I always feel that the lack of manufacturer's logos or sponsor's logos makes them stand out a mile as inauthentic.

oh yes, forgot about that one.

There is certainly an almost identical Everton top with E F C in that style of writing.  I'm sure I've seen photos of John Connolly in that after his transfer there.  I think the Arabs used that style for a while too.

I know what you mean about the manufacturer logos, but you get away with it better on some shirts than others, especially where the logo forms part of the design e.g. the Umbro diamonds down a sleeve. It would certainly be great if the original manufacturers would licence use of their logos for Retro tops.

I think that's what bugs me so much about the TOFFS one.  There was a period where we had no manufacturer logo appearing so it's crying out for a very close look-a-like, but they ruin it with something that never actually appeared.

Edited by Jimmy Wallace

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/St_Johnstone/St_Johnstone.htm

There you go all the old kit umbro followed by matchwinner bukta then saints collection xara surridge and finally joma

And just for Blue heaven surprisingly few years of white socks. But God they red socks were the worst.

You see, I still have a hankering for those red socks. They were the socks when I first started following Saints. I even had a pair, I seem to recall. I would really like to see them back.