Is Scottish Football truly incompetent?

Gussie

This is true but also it's because the competition itself has changed. If you look at the UEFA Cup of 1999/2000 (when Saints played Vaasa and Monaco), the very first matches weren't until 10th August. So there's been quite a big shift since then. This season's competition had started before the Euros had even finished - bizarre that UEFA would be willing for that to happen. A lot of ifs here, but if Saints had qualified and Northern Ireland had progressed further, we might have had to play in Europe without our first choice goalkeeper. Both the Euros and the Europa League (and the Champions League too) are massively bloated and need a complete overhaul of format. And personally I think scrapping the Cup Winners Cup was a mistake.

Also agree that the co-efficient stuff needs to be revised, although if you got rid of it completely I'm not sure how you'd work out how many clubs get to qualify from each country.

PS I don't think Alashkert were as bad as a lot of people maintain they were. We still should have beaten them though.

I cannot argue with anything you say, personally I think the Champions League should be "what it says on the tin" ie just champions of each country. I also think it was a mistake to scrap the Cup Winners Cup, this could possibly be extended to include e.g. the League Cup winners or equivalent from each country. Just as a side issue you mention Vassa/Monaco games.............. is this the only time Saints have been knocked out by the best team we played in the same year?

I cannot argue with anything you say, personally I think the Champions League should be "what it says on the tin" ie just champions of each country. I also think it was a mistake to scrap the Cup Winners Cup, this could possibly be extended to include e.g. the League Cup winners or equivalent from each country. Just as a side issue you mention Vassa/Monaco games.............. is this the only time Saints have been knocked out by the best team we played in the same year?

eses

Our league is no better than all the minnow leagues.  Scottish mentality is abysmal.  The mindset prevents any sort of success.... ah shit a team we know feck all about.... panic as we are used to playing teams 4 or 5 times a season... what will we do?   Ah let's play defensive and try not to lose.   

Does my head in. 

Just go and win the game! Play to your strengths...  don't over analyse the opposition as it's a new season and everyone is rusty so early on.

Had a feeling hearts would get found out in Europe going on how poor defensively they were in the latter stages of last season.  Really bugged me hearing Billy Brown on the news banging on about the quality of players not being good enough rather than just admitting they were gash! 

So, its the last week in July and the Best Wee Country In the World has 2 teams remaining in contention for honours in European football.

Just had a look at the fixture list for the 3rd qualifying round for Europa and its massive. Some good sides coming in like West Ham and Lille which just shows the scale of the task facing Scottish football. Having a poor coefficient is holding back countries.

Aberdeen aside, for fun I'm watching out for AEK Larnaka and Grasshoppers to see how they get on!

Brendan and his crowd have a nice relaxing journey over the next two weeks. As an incentive..I would suggest that if they are knocked out...they will wear mankinis for the rest of the season! 

• 2 weeks later...

great read om how the folk in charge of the scottish game are recking it. found this after hearing doncaster drool over the fact that rangers are back basically stating that the last few years have been a waste of time

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/continuous-failure-of-spfl-to-champion-the-opening-weekend-1-4191967

• 3 weeks later...