Brechin v Saints LC Sections 26/7/16

I'd like to say that was shite but to be honest it was worse. I dunno WTF game Saints were playing in the first half but it certainly was NOT football. Hoofball maybe. Very disappointed. Tactically we were inept at best. Well done to Brechin, although the unbelievable time wasting kinda took the shine of some great performances. Andy Jackson was excellent as was Rodger. Both Centre backs just lapped up our big punts. Time wasting aside, they still deserved to win rather than draw. Some real dire performances from a few of our boys. A lot better in the second half but just couldnae score until the death. The penalties have just increased my belief that we will miss more than we score this season. Finally to the referee. What a complete ****nugget. He made Andrew Dallas look competent. That must be close to the WORST refereeing display I have EVER seen ( and I have see my fair share of shockers) I fear the manager has some hard work ahead of him after that. I could go on but it's late and I am tired.

Changes in the starting eleven told for Saints in the first half as the team struggled to get any rhythm going. We only really looked dangerous at set pieces but equally looked fairly comfortable before succumbing to what was a very well worked goal. We didn't manage to get properly reorganised from Jackson's switch of play and with Scobbie dragged wide, he capitalised on the ball in to head home.

Thomson had been too rigid in his play and Dyer had him sussed so he was the obvious player to sacrifice at half-time and within seconds of restart, Alston had come infield to link play around the box, something that had been absent for the first 45 minutes but set the tone for the second period.

Brechin defended heroically but Saints still manufactured chances and efforts on goal, although couldn't find a way past Smith. Swanson and Cummins improved us again and the equaliser was deserved, with Cummins knocking down a Paton cross from which Kane couldn't miss.

Thought we might have gone on to win the game but to their credit, Brechin had a go as well, when the ball was in play anyway. Nobody can be confident of Saints winning a shootout and so it transpired. Disappointing to not even force Smith into a save though.

Saturday had a bit of a friendly vibe to it but there was none of that tonight, with both teams fully committed. Thought the ref could have been stronger but don't think that should overshadow a good Brechin defensive display and a decent second half for Saints.

Seeding could now be an issue for us but tonight was the relevant game with regards to that, Saturday is about ensuring we top the group.

Well done Brechin, put in a good performance and a good result for them.  The time wasting from half-time onwards was massively frustrating, but up against a full time team in the cup I suppose it's going to happen, and it's up to us not to fall behind or let it become a factor.

far too laid back and slack in the first half, better second half.  One up front for 70 minutes against 5 at the back was poor and I thought should have been changed earlier.  Obviously Coulston and Muzz were to get up and support as much as possible, but the whole first half Kane was crowded out and isolated. We put a lot of crosses/ high balls into Kane that he didn't get a lot of joy out of, which Cummins might have been able to get something out of.

The Brechin keeper made a few good saves, Gareth Rodgers had a good game (as did the other two centre backs), Jackson played well and Finn Graham had a good first half.

Liam Craig doesn't offer a lot out wide these days, after his performance on Saturday I thought he was an obvious one to rest.  Joe is far better at centre back, his ability on the ball gives us very little in an attacking sense at full back.  I would rest Scobbie (not thru his play, just that Joe is a better centre back) and even try Brad at RB as he can play a pass and likes to get forward.. At least worth a look until Watson is fit.

good to see Murray play a full game, he got into it more as the game progressed, Paton did fine in spreading the play and always playing the simple pass but doesn't create or play a forward ball, and Coulston looked lively at times.  Looks like Swanson is going to be hugely important for us this season.

Are we officially the worst penalty takers in Scotland?  

Roll on Saturday for a massive winner takes all game against The Albion.. 

Firstly, if you aren't able to go to the game, maybe wait and here some reporta from those there on how we played before deciding we aren't as good as we think based on a result from a severely weakened team.

On to the game, first half we had no creativity. Second half we were very good. We created at least six good chances and were extremely unfortunate not to win it in ninety.

I've been sceptical of the penalty shoot outs, but it certainly means something when you are in it. Thoroughly enjoyed that. 

Not being seeded is disappointing but there's still some very winnable ties in the top 8 seeds. 

Finally, Danny Swanson. Sensational. 

I actually thought we were in complete control 1st half and it was only a matter of time before the goal came unfortunately it came at the wrong end. the subs made a massive difference to the tempo in the 2nd . brechin were well organised but how that keeper never got booked for time wasting ill never know. could have had a few pens too , the 1 on swanson looked a stonewaller. disappointed but at least we are still in a good position. 

positives- Radford's return and the weather was warmer than the last time

I wasn't at the game but had my reservations and it wouldn't be as easy as some were predicting. It's a tight ground and by what folk have said the first half wasn't up to much.  

A few changes second half had us controlling the match pretty much with their keeper in fantastic form. 

Was relieved we got the equaliser for the point then penalties is just a lottery. 

2 wins and a draw, hardly knicker wetting material just yet. Rossco out, Dundee on the brink.......Motherwell Hamilton Inverness United and Killie all with a little to do to get through.  

Any team changing a few players will struggle as we've seen a few times in the past. Positive from the start on Saturday and I think we'll get the win we need. 

Mon the Sainteeees