Saints v Hearts. LC round of 16. Wed 10th August

What a team. Went behind after dominating but hauled ourselves back in to it. Delighted for Mackay - celebrated like he won the world cup . Fantastic team effort. Swanson was exceptional. Hearts are a nasty cynical bunch and deserved all they got. Shite draw but will enjoy a few drinks tonight. COYS 

Congrats to all... Made my Thursday so much more. Big relief to see McKay nail it against his old club. He'll not sleep much tonight. Kick on big man, you've got it out of your system now. Well done all... My shouts woke the neighbours early... And Il Biscotti- always a legend.

COYS

Edited by Melbourne Saint

That was brilliant!  Thoroughly enjoyable cup-tie.  Have to say I don't think Hearts are that poor, they are a cynical dirty bunch though. I thought they had more possession in the first half, though we looked dangerous when we attacked.

Saints were magnificent in that second half, we just never think we're beaten. We must have one of the most over-achieving managers anywhere, he just knows how to get the best out of this team. Battled and fought where we had to and played some good stuff at times.  

Danny Swanson is a genius, he is so talented with the ball at his feet running at players, and what a goal! Steven Anderson is still, after all these years, one of the most underrated centre halves in Scotland. 

Blair Alston came increasingly into it, and a special word for Brad Mackay.. After seemingly written off by many he's knuckled down and scored the winner, against Hearts must make it so much sweeter, he deserves it a wee drink tonight.

That result was without a good few first team players, including our main two centre midfielders, and two main strikers. Brilliant stuff!

Deserved a better draw that Dons away, but there's no team in Scotland this team can't beat on their day.  Only 4200 but good atmosphere at times, great to hear the whole East Stand in song towards the end.

Swanson is absolute class.  It just goes to show what good man management, a well run club and a really good team spirit and togetherness can do for a player who might find it quite difficult to fit in elsewhere.  It just shows how good the atmosphere and environment is at Saints compared to Hearts.  

He also looks in the best physical shape he has for a long time also. He looks as lean and fit as I have seen Danny Swanson since he was at United circa 2010..

That was a well deserved victory which sends a message to Neilson GIRFUY

Hearts are not the worst team but I think they are certainly the dirtiest.  

As for their penalty never knew there was a rule that said you have to move out of a players way. He made no attempt to get by Scobbie just headed straight for him. 

And what a pity iam on holiday tomorrow. No chance of seeing the jambos in the office. 

Edited by mainstand

Great night for Saints with a first home cup victory over Hearts in 43 years. It was a game that swung back and forward but after we got ahead for a second time, didn't look like surrendering it. Although Hearts hit the post early on, Saints with their lead looked comfortable without having any real control before a failure to clear our lines let Hearts get back in the game, then capitalise on Scobbie's injury to lead.

The equaliser came about when Saints conceded a second free kick in quick succession on the edge of the area and although Mannus saved fairly well from Muirhead, Shaughnessy failed to clear, Kane let Rossi past him too easily and Paterson had stayed forward, heading in well. The first free kick had been blasted over by Ozturk after being conceded stupidly by Paton, who had gifted Sammon his early opportunity from which he hit the post, inadvertently causing Scobbie's injury as well when he lost the challenge from Paton's hospital pass. He'd gone to ground in an attempt to mask a lack of mobility that was regularly evident. He was booked for mouthing off at the penalty and was scared to make a tackle after that, again down to a lack of agility. He also had two horrendous backwards punts that set Hearts on the attack late on. Hope and need to see much more from him in future.

Scobbie appeared to shake off the early knock but was caught by Sammon after the equaliser and although received lengthy treatment and hobbled off, came back on and conceded the penalty within what seemed like seconds. Hard to be too critical of him in the situation though. Although Saints had never looked dominant, to be 2-1 down was harsh, as Hamilton had made a couple of decent saves after what was a stunning opener from Swanson. Saints won a free kick on the right after Rossi had pulled back Craig and with the named and Wotherspoon over the ball, they shifted it to Swanson who seemed to hit the ball in an unorthodox manner but it mattered little as it flew past the goalkeeper from fully 30 yards.

Actually thought Hearts looked more likely to pinch a third than us an equaliser as the second half wore on; although we'd forced Hamilton into another couple of good saves there was no consistent pressure on the Hearts defence. Swanson's head was starting to go down as it does when he tires and he'd been booked for snipping at the referee when he'd been unfairly penalised but a loose ball on this edge of the box saw him pounce and as he surged into the area, Ozturk slid in, certainly not making any contact with the ball but how much with Swanson I'd maybe question too? Having watched Walker cooly despatch in a way our players never seem to manage, it was a relief and pleasure to watch Swanson send the keeper the wrong way.

Saints had looked inventive and a threat from set plays, so maybe no great surprise the winner emanated from one. Hearts were picking up our main guys at corners but after that appeared to be zonally defending the six-yard box, so any flick at the near post was always going to cause problems and so it transpired. Not sure who got the flick but McKay came steaming in behind and nothing was going to keep his header out. As important as that was, it's up what happens at the other end that he'll be judged on and he defended pretty well, particularly in covering in behind Anderson on occasion. He had one moment where he forgot himself and tried to be a footballer but he did himself no harm to tonight.

Of the rest, Shaughnessy didn't have his best night by his high standards and what he offers going forward from full back remains an issue. Alston was more involved that at the weekend and had a couple of decent efforts on goal and I thought Liam Craig was fine. Wotherspoon looks a bit like a guy that hasn't quite got going yet after a disrupted pre-season and Wright's decision to put him centrally rather than Alston when MacLean came on was a good call on the fitness front. Kane worked as hard as ever but I'd like to see us try and use his pace without the ball better by going in behind more maybe. Think he plays best as a lone striker possibly?

Hearts seemed to have a lack of drive about them, guys too happy just to pass the ball rather than make something happen. 57% possession but half the number of efforts on goal and on target than Saints. They never looked like getting back in the match after going 3-2 down.

Aberdeen away isn't the draw anyone would have picked but I think Saints have done enough in recent years to earn the right to say we shouldn't be overly fearful of any game. Looking forward to a night under the lights at Pittodrie in a competition that has been a breath of fresh air.

He'll score more, and more and more and more..

SWANSONS on fire, your defence is terrified,

SWANSONS on fire

OOH!

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na...

And,

Tommy Wright ****n hates jam tarts! Cheating and dirty bastards so they are.

Great game in the pissing rain under the lights. Braw!

Absolutely brilliant game and good to see Saints get a victory against a side whose cynical fouling, diving and timewasting should have seen the whole lot of them cited for bringing the game into disrepute. Every blue shirt showed the sort of fight and spirit we've begun to expect from Saints and even if some of them didn't have their best game they all got stuck in and thoroughly deserved the win.

A special mention for Mr C Patterson who seems to think trying to pick a fight with an opposition manager is a clever thing to do - you were well found out tonight pal.

That was a well deserved victory which sends a message to Neilson GIRFUY

Hearts are not the worst team but I think they are certainly the dirtiest.  

As for their penalty never knew there was a rule that said you have to move out of a players way. He made no attempt to get by Scobbie just headed straight for him. 

And what a pity iam on holiday tomorrow. No chance of seeing the jambos in the office. 

True the welt runs straight at him and bowls him over.

Great night for Saints with a first home cup victory over Hearts in 43 years. It was a game that swung back and forward but after we got ahead for a second time, didn't look like surrendering it. Although Hearts hit the post early on, Saints with their lead looked comfortable without having any real control before a failure to clear our lines let Hearts get back in the game, then capitalise on Scobbie's injury to lead.

The equaliser came about when Saints conceded a second free kick in quick succession on the edge of the area and although Mannus saved fairly well from Muirhead, Shaughnessy failed to clear, Kane let Rossi past him too easily and Paterson had stayed forward, heading in well. The first free kick had been blasted over by Ozturk after being conceded stupidly by Paton, who had gifted Sammon his early opportunity from which he hit the post, inadvertently causing Scobbie's injury as well when he lost the challenge from Paton's hospital pass. He'd gone to ground in an attempt to mask a lack of mobility that was regularly evident. He was booked for mouthing off at the penalty and was scared to make a tackle after that, again down to a lack of agility. He also had two horrendous backwards punts that set Hearts on the attack late on. Hope and need to see much more from him in future.

Scobbie appeared to shake off the early knock but was caught by Sammon after the equaliser and although received lengthy treatment and hobbled off, came back on and conceded the penalty within what seemed like seconds. Hard to be too critical of him in the situation though. Although Saints had never looked dominant, to be 2-1 down was harsh, as Hamilton had made a couple of decent saves after what was a stunning opener from Swanson. Saints won a free kick on the right after Rossi had pulled back Craig and with the named and Wotherspoon over the ball, they shifted it to Swanson who seemed to hit the ball in an unorthodox manner but it mattered little as it flew past the goalkeeper from fully 30 yards.

Actually thought Hearts looked more likely to pinch a third than us an equaliser as the second half wore on; although we'd forced Hamilton into another couple of good saves there was no consistent pressure on the Hearts defence. Swanson's head was starting to go down as it does when he tires and he'd been booked for snipping at the referee when he'd been unfairly penalised but a loose ball on this edge of the box saw him pounce and as he surged into the area, Ozturk slid in, certainly not making any contact with the ball but how much with Swanson I'd maybe question too? Having watched Walker cooly despatch in a way our players never seem to manage, it was a relief and pleasure to watch Swanson send the keeper the wrong way.

Saints had looked inventive and a threat from set plays, so maybe no great surprise the winner emanated from one. Hearts were picking up our main guys at corners but after that appeared to be zonally defending the six-yard box, so any flick at the near post was always going to cause problems and so it transpired. Not sure who got the flick but McKay came steaming in behind and nothing was going to keep his header out. As important as that was, it's up what happens at the other end that he'll be judged on and he defended pretty well, particularly in covering in behind Anderson on occasion. He had one moment where he forgot himself and tried to be a footballer but he did himself no harm to tonight.

Of the rest, Shaughnessy didn't have his best night by his high standards and what he offers going forward from full back remains an issue. Alston was more involved that at the weekend and had a couple of decent efforts on goal and I thought Liam Craig was fine. Wotherspoon looks a bit like a guy that hasn't quite got going yet after a disrupted pre-season and Wright's decision to put him centrally rather than Alston when MacLean came on was a good call on the fitness front. Kane worked as hard as ever but I'd like to see us try and use his pace without the ball better by going in behind more maybe. Think he plays best as a lone striker possibly?

Hearts seemed to have a lack of drive about them, guys too happy just to pass the ball rather than make something happen. 57% possession but half the number of efforts on goal and on target than Saints. They never looked like getting back in the match after going 3-2 down.

Aberdeen away isn't the draw anyone would have picked but I think Saints have done enough in recent years to earn the right to say we shouldn't be overly fearful of any game. Looking forward to a night under the lights at Pittodrie in a competition that has been a breath of fresh air.

Spot on summing up but thout Spoony was very good in first 30 mins.

Very good game to watch, with all the players playing their part and putting in a lot of effort.

Swanson was on fire. He's our one player that can produce a little magic and gave their full-back a torrid time. His fitness levels look to have improved and I think Wright has helped him focus on his defensive duties. He is much more of an all round player.

Was chuffed for McKay. Good 45 minutes from him and hopefully he can kick on and make the most of our injury problems.

Alston performed very well in a central position and I liked his movement when in position- I think once his team mates get used to him a little more there will be goals to his game.

I think if your going to mention Hearts rough tactics, it would be a little hypocritical not to mention Paton for us- whilst he clearly gave his all for the cause and won a lot of balls in the middle, he put in a good few poor challenges due to his lack of pace and mobility. Especially in the second half, due to his booking, he was getting ran past with ease, add in a couple of dodgy backward passes (including a shocker to Scobie) and I it could of been a pretty terrible night for him, had we been punished more.

Onwards and upwards from here. The team spirit will see us perform well this season.

First game of the season and it was a topsy-turvy affair, but we deserved to win. While I'm obviously delighted to see us go through, I'm almost equally happy to see that Hearts side go out. What an unattractive, cynical side they are. They're basically unpleasant to watch.

Danny got better and better as the match went on, but Macca coming on was the big turning point. He was brilliant, really forcing it and getting stuck into the Hearts defence. He rattled them and Danny did the rest...

And while it got pretty heated on the pitch, it was ****ing cold off it. August????