Wright v Brown

rik2304

Tommy has lots of positives as a manager. In fact there is a strong argument that he's been our best manager.

However, nobody is perfect and the evidence would suggest that his transfer business is fairly (s)hit and miss.

Steve Brown runs a tight ship with an eye on the future and security should we face relegation.

It's been well documented that the playing budget has increased this season and yet we face the fairly significant problem of having only three senior striking options. One of which can't play at Killie or Hamilton.

So has Tommy mismanaged his budget?

Or is Steve's prudence holding us back?

I'm unsure just now tbh but Tommy is clearly starting to make some noise about moving on in the future.

tl;dr etc

I think there's a massive gulf between how a football club is run and how the fans think or pretend they know it is run. 

But also, everyone at the club is human. They make mistakes, they make bad decisions, their minds may be elsewhere when it should be on the job of winning a football match. It is not an extension of a PlayStation game where everyone performs at 100% of their ability each time. It seems to me that Tommy gets a lot out of the players compared to previous Saints managers. Beyond that, I don't have a clue what goes on behind closed doors and in the boardroom. 

Have faith folks. Completely agree with Montrose. Yes ICT result was not what we wanted and the performance was apparently Shite. But knee jerk reactions are not warranted. We can speculate all we want about funds, infrastructure etc. We'll come back stronger next week, we're still settling in a few signings. The McKay situation is strange, but if he isn't considered good enough -on or off the park, for a XI place, then that's good enough for me. If the "right" player, at the "right" fee is available- ie striker, I'm sure we'll go for him. Just need to not squabble

Why does someone have to be "at fault" for not bringing in a striker? Too many wannabee keyboard managers who assume they know what is best for Saints when the reality is they know very little about running a SUCCESSFUL Scottish Professional Football Team. It is right that supporters express opinions cause that is what fitba is all about. However, the volume of keich that is being spouted on social media just now by so called "Saints supporters" about how poorly our club is being managed/ run is unbelievable! I think it is a very simple situation, we operate within our affordable financial budget and at this time there are no better players available within that budget than those we currently have. Similarly, if Tommy deems Brad MacKay not to be good enough then so be it as he is the Manager and sees him in training every day.

Why does someone have to be "at fault" for not bringing in a striker? Too many wannabee keyboard managers who assume they know what is best for Saints when the reality is they know very little about running a SUCCESSFUL Scottish Professional Football Team. It is right that supporters express opinions cause that is what fitba is all about. However, the volume of keich that is being spouted on social media just now by so called "Saints supporters" about how poorly our club is being managed/ run is unbelievable! I think it is a very simple situation, we operate within our affordable financial budget and at this time there are no better players available within that budget than those we currently have. Similarly, if Tommy deems Brad MacKay not to be good enough then so be it as he is the Manager and sees him in training every day.

Someone surely has to be at fault for having only 3 senior strikers at the club. 2 of which are injury prone, 1 of which cannot play in certain games. The only other senior striker is a younger player who cannot be classed as proven at this level. 

So goody two shoes, you are perfectly happy with our striker options at the moment ? I and no one else is. 

Pretty sure Coulson can play up top too. I'm sure Swanson could play in the hole if needed.  We had this so called unrest a few seasons ago and it turned out to be sh!te.  

I'm pretty sure if we had a couple of strikers in our radar we were put off by over the top demands that Brown or Wright were not prepared to meet. 

Nothing has changed at the club, theres not been an explosion of cash that's been invested.  

We have a budget still and we won't be deviating from it.  

The Brad situation is strange but he hasn't been released for no reason. Whether we find out is another thing.  

Edited by Dr Christmas Jones

Guest ScottMann

What a terrible mistake real easing Brad ...

thought he did more than enough to merit some respect from Tommy really think there's more to it 

What exactly did Brad do? In which way has Tommy disrespected him?

Looking at the bigger picture here.....Foster can play across the back four(and midfield)as can Watson,Shaughnessy and Scobbie.

McKay has shown himself to be a passionate but limited defender whose been sacrificed to bring in a more stable and experienced defender. We shouldn't let McKays obvious passion get in the way of the fact that when he played he cost goals. Simple.

TW has been looking for depth this year and in reality we do have it. More so in defence and midfield than upfront. However Coulson can play there apparently. And any injury crisis up front will force TW to play the much called for youth.

Guest ScottMann

I've no problem in effectively swapping Foster for McKay but it leaves unanswered questions regarding this increase in budget. If it's true that each league place is worth £100,000 in round figures and we are now budgeting for 8th instead of 11th then we've increased our budget by £300k. Additionally we've let go a presumably high earning striker in Sutton as well as the up and coming Hurst amongst other players and we've released more players than we've brought in. How on earth have these incomers used up such a big budget increase?

Increasing the length of contracts of players rather than terms will only really kick in during the additional years. I don't think Paton will have cost a massive wage given we've given him the chance to remain in the Prem rather than the 2nd Division. Quite rightly I'd expect us to have forked out a bit to get Alston as he was one of the 2nd Division's leading lights otherwise why on earth have we run out of budget?  I'm genuinely baffled.

Looking at the bigger picture here.....Foster can play across the back four(and midfield)as can Watson,Shaughnessy and Scobbie.

McKay has shown himself to be a passionate but limited defender whose been sacrificed to bring in a more stable and experienced defender. We shouldn't let McKays obvious passion get in the way of the fact that when he played he cost goals. Simple.

TW has been looking for depth this year and in reality we do have it. More so in defence and midfield than upfront. However Coulson can play there apparently. And any injury crisis up front will force TW to play the much called for youth.

Just to remind you we shipped 2 goals against ICT,and it could easily have been 4 or 5. Our defence hardly covered themselves in glory and McKay  wiznae playing there.  I am more concerned about what we have left to be honest .. A couple on injuries and we are phucked. We are not exactly awash with defenders. Unlike midfield which is  jam phucking packed. Surely  if we are just clearing a place for a striker, it would have been more prudent to offload one of our NINE midfielders rather than one of our Six fit defenders??? ( now 5)

Just to remind you we shipped 2 goals against ICT,and it could easily have been 4 or 5. Our defence hardly covered themselves in glory and McKay  wiznae playing there.  I am more concerned about what we have left to be honest .. A couple on injuries and we are phucked. We are not exactly awash with defenders. Unlike midfield which is  jam phucking packed. Surely  if we are just clearing a place for a striker, it would have been more prudent to offload one of our NINE midfielders rather than one of our Six fit defenders??? ( now 5)

A fully fit and settled defence of Easton,Anderson, Shaughnessy and Foster is a strong defence imo. Which has Watson and Scobbie as cover. I have zero issues with this.

Having options in midfield is important because Midge and Muzz are absolute sick notes.

A fully fit and settled defence of Easton,Anderson, Shaughnessy and Foster is a strong defence imo. Which has Watson and Scobbie as cover. I have zero issues with this.

Having options in midfield is important because Midge and Muzz are absolute sick notes.

And Watson and Scobbie are of course pictures of phucking good health.. What about red cards, suspensions. Ando has already been injured this season .. I am sorry but even without the two you mention, we STILL have SEVEN midfielders and we can play 5 at most..  I am not having it.

And Watson and Scobbie are of course pictures of phucking good health.. What about red cards, suspensions. Ando has already been injured this season .. I am sorry but even without the two you mention, we STILL have SEVEN midfielders and we can play 5 at most..  I am not having it.

The suspensions also count in midfield.

Mackay

Easton

Anderson

Scobbie

Foster

Watson

Shaughnessy

This is more than enough flexible cover in defence.

Who from midfield wouldn't you have signed? Or released instead.

Edited by rik2304

Mackay  Out, no  clear idea when  he will return

Easton.  Fit ( but playing  poorly)

Anderson. Fit 

Scobbie.  Out for at least another 4 weeks best case

Foster. Fit

Watson.  Out ( not sure if this lad even exists as I have yet to see him)

Shaughnessy. Fit

Liam Gordon. Fit

Ally Gilchrist. Out I think ( certainly has not played  any part in either 1st team or U20's game this season)

No sure I see much flexibility in there for at least a month and that's if none of the others  pick up a knock.

As for suspensions, even you  are not going to argue there is far more chance of a defender getting a red card or picking up bookings due  to what they do ( or in some cases, what they are meant to do)

I wouldnae have signed Paton . he's played about as many games as Brad. I'd have had hjm away.