Aberdeen v Saints. LC Quarter-final 22/9/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

I thought it was great movement from the striker and a wonderful header. Yes we could stop the cross, that's the disappointment for me.

It was decent movement, but Imo Ando should've been closer, he's coming from behind Rooney watching the movement and the ball, and could've been tighter to prevent a clean header

It was decent movement, but Imo Ando should've been closer, he's coming from behind Rooney watching the movement and the ball, and could've been tighter to prevent a clean header

I think you need to realise it was a brilliant header from Rooney. Yeah Ando could have done better but i would hardly blame him for the goal. The cross should have been stopped.

I think you need to realise it was a brilliant header from Rooney. Yeah Ando could have done better but i would hardly blame him for the goal. The cross should have been stopped.

It was a great header, because it was a free header, under no pressure from the side or behind,if he'd been getting nudged or anything he's less likely to get a good contact

watched it here at Disneyland Paris sports bar on the big screen even the Irish chap next to me said spoony s goal should of stood the attacking player always gets the decision the rules have changed then wonder save of spoony saints played alot better than Aberdeen but got nothing which was well less than they deserved

Having Paton and Davidson in the same midfield makes us very poor to watch.

Nail on the head. I'm not a big Paton fan, but I can see the merit of having him in the team when Davidson is out. Both in the team together doesn't work, unless...we are trying to totally kill a game.

For me, Paton is a squad player at best. Davidson, Miller, Craig, Wotherspoon all better in the middle than him.

If you go back over the years there is always a player who divides opinion amongst the fans. Paton is that  player this season. Unfortunately in a lot of cases whatever he does will be wrong. 

As for tonight we were unlucky with spookiest goal. Linesman was so slow in putting his flag up. 

As for the goal rooney took it well and peeled away from Ando superbly. Thought Gordon showed that he is more than capable.  

Anyway the league cup is a Diddy cup.

Paton was poor it's got to be him or muzz, too many times muzz put a tackle in that needed someone to then pick up the scraps and start the play..not just kick it immediately the direction he was facing and out the park. Mind you the whole midfield was guilty of that, other than Swanson who was over greedy on several occasions. 

Alston hasn't been great but him and muzz could of worked.

I'm not sure there will ever be a question that coulson is the answer too. 

On that showing thank the Lord we only have a few months of gormley, likely he will be up to speed by February mind you... 

No sure we deserved to lose that ( certainly not over the 90 minutes anyway) but lose it we did. Fine margins indeed. Proud of my wee team yet again. Defended resolutely but lacked the flair and craft going forward for most of the game. Shit happens. Well done Saints..

Cliché it may be but we can take a lot of positives from tonight. Most notable of these was Gordon who looked more than capable of providing cover in the centre of defence, really impressive game. Can see why Brad was let go. 

Aberdeen are not a crap team and it's a sign of the quality of our team that the game was so tight although not sure we played that well. I also feel that a certain number 2, in his prime, would have made a difference with his composure...too often the ball was lost by an unforced error.

If saves were celebrated like goals the dandies should be hanging from the rafters for that save from spoony. The freekick was good, the save excellent.

Spoony was offside by a whisker. Sorry. If that was the other way round i'd be spewing if it'd gone against us.  

Goal.... 87 mins gone or whatever it was. Can't fault a workhorse in Ando against a fresh pair of heals who'd been sent on to do exactly what he did!I felt that whoever won tonight will win the cup. Still think so.

Mon the Scottish cup and 3rd place for Europe!

As someone else sad, Fine Margins. Paton is a player that will always struggle to win the Perth crowd and the mistake last night didn't help his case. If the mistake had been made by someone else it would have been forgotten by tomorrow. The new striker Gormley did not show very much but we were set up defensively so hoping he gets more service next game. Two pluses were that young Liam Gordon was fantastic and Zander looked great and very much in charge. Disappointed we got beat but happy that we are challenging at the moment to be the second best team in Scotland.

Disappointed we got beat but happy that we are challenging at the moment to be the second best team in Scotland.

This, it doesn't help much, but its worth realising that ten years ago today we sat 5th in the First Division, tied on points with Airdrieonians and Clyde, and only three points ahead of Stranraer. And now we're all furious we couldnt beat Aberdeen, who are favourites for second, at Pittodrie despite having the better chances.

Looked like it was Tommy's game plan to pressure the Aberdeen CHs with high balls. If you watch Paton with an unbiased eye he is actually a very good passer, especially over distance.

MacLean didn't play to his usual standard and it was a poor substitution to bring on Liam. Also looked a bad decision to hand Gormley his first start.

Imo.

Aye, but a diddy cup we haven't won yet!

Gutted at the way we lost, but if our goal had stood, I would not have felt good about it when it was later shown to be offside.

Ooft, some sportsmanship that by the way!  Duberry catching the ball against Celtic in our box, Brian Graham diving to beat Ross County, Maradona knocking England out. I love a poor refereeing decision benefiting us. Still a bit gutted Stevie May's hand of God never counted in the final to be honest. 

Don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to warm to Coulson. I was impressed with his commitment to the cause against Hearts and Aberdeen lately, uses his upper body strength very well and he certainly doesn't shirk a challenge. 

Maybe if he could regain his composure on the ball in the final third that he appeared to have at York we could have a half decent number 10 there.