Aberdeen v Saints. LC Quarter-final 22/9/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

You speak about bias on one hand, but if I had to guess who'd be quickest to blame Ando for something on here, you'd be top three. 

Given him plenty credit and mom votes, but i call it as i see it, too many think he's blameless, along with others like Easton and Macca, but all players make errors, imo Ando made one last night.Disappointed I'm not no.1 at picking up his faults tbh

Not convinced Spoony was offside to be honest. Has the daylight rule been removed? At most his foot was ahead of the Aberdeen player but his body was level. Always thought in tight situations like that the benefit of the doubt should go with strikers. 

Any part of the body which can play the ball, which is beyond the last defender is offside. Doesn't matter if it's his nose or his toe, technically by the letter of the law he's offside even if it's by a millimetre. 

Interestingly enough if it was only his hand beyond the defender he's not offside. 

Don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to warm to Coulson. I was impressed with his commitment to the cause against Hearts and Aberdeen lately, uses his upper body strength very well and he certainly doesn't shirk a challenge. 

Maybe if he could regain his composure on the ball in the final third that he appeared to have at York we could have a half decent number 10 there.

Thought he was poor against Hearts but he did play a lot better last night.The only thing that concerns me is his stature, rather top heavy,more akin to an american footballer.A bit like Mannus,who looks like he has a coat hanger under his strip 

Disappointed beyond belief....

That Aberdeen team were bordering on average.

Tommy Wright is still trying to find our best team... Unfortunately last night wasn't it! Too many changes IMO...Thought we did enough to merit ET but!!?

Cummins on the bench? Thought he deserved a run after last weekend, his confidence must be rock bottom?!? 

Battled and competed well but football wise we were mostly poor. Second half improved, but the number of times we gave the ball away cheaply was disappointing. They pressed us and we ended up just hoofing it a lot of the game.  Aberdeen created very little though and we certainly deserved ET.

Thought Paton and Murray competed well, but neither put their foot on the ball and got it down and played.  Are we going to have another season of Chris Millar in for a game or two, out for a while, constantly on the verge of being fit but never actually being fit, or are we going to get his injury properly dealt with and get the most out of him?  Was our best player 2 seasons ago and we really miss him, but let's not go through the same thing as we did last season.

When you look at the LC semi v Aberdeen 3 years ago, we'd have played Inverness in the final.  Last season semi defeat v Hibs, we'd have played Ross County in the final. If we won last night we'd have played Morton in a semi-final!  Some great opportunities slipped by.

Still, onto Hamilton and get the title chase back on track...

Don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to warm to Coulson. I was impressed with his commitment to the cause against Hearts and Aberdeen lately, uses his upper body strength very well and he certainly doesn't shirk a challenge. 

Maybe if he could regain his composure on the ball in the final third that he appeared to have at York we could have a half decent number 10 there.

He's made a very promising start considering he can't be fully match fit yet. 

He seems direct and has a bit of urgency about him. Makes it easier to like a player when they give 100% and he certainly has done so far.

Disappointed beyond belief....

That Aberdeen team were bordering on average.

Tommy Wright is still trying to find our best team... Unfortunately last night wasn't it! Too many changes IMO...Thought we did enough to merit ET but!!?

Cummins on the bench? Thought he deserved a run after last weekend, his confidence must be rock bottom?!? 

At last someone who speaks sense It was a dreadful loss and saints kept Aberdeen at bay ..

too much negativity we've played the best teams had one of the toughest rounds as a premier league team and made Aberdeen look very average ...

They got lucky as we have on several occasions move on and hopefully we'll continue the excellent league form. 

Gutted about last night.  Absolutely nothing  between these two teams (this alone is something to be grateful for given Aberdeens vastly bigger finances) last night neither team deserved to lose and neither deserved to win. We can't really have any complaints not even resorting to blaming the referee who basically got everything right apart from one foul given to Aberdeen which was clearly afoul for Saints.

that was a brutal watch, defensive ping pong pish

aberdeen horrible, us not much better, deserved win (just), thought that was going to end in penalties

Only entertainment was watching a very wee laddie charging the aberdeen fans, baiting them and security all game.

Would have been unusual to see burly guards eject a 9 year old, nearly happened, beardy was livid.

I also see some FCU lad must have a new sticker making program!

Guest ScottMann

Gutted about last night.  Absolutely nothing  between these two teams (this alone is something to be grateful for given Aberdeens vastly bigger finances) last night neither team deserved to lose and neither deserved to win. We can't really have any complaints not even resorting to blaming the referee who basically got everything right apart from one foul given to Aberdeen which was clearly afoul for Saints.

That was unreal. Gordon was penalised for being kicked in the chest by the Aberdeen guy. You'd be pushed to see a more ludicrous decision against us if we'd been playing the Old Firm.

That was unreal. Gordon was penalised for being kicked in the chest by the Aberdeen guy. You'd be pushed to see a more ludicrous decision against us if we'd been playing the Old Firm.

That would have come under the dangerous play rule i.e. Gordon would have been deemed to have put himself in a dangerous position. Strange it doesn't apply to goalkeepers.

That would have come under the dangerous play rule i.e. Gordon would have been deemed to have put himself in a dangerous position. Strange it doesn't apply to goalkeepers.

Are you seriously trying to suggest thats the rule the ref used? 

If so, whats to stop folk going foot first into every aerial challenge and winning penalties?

Guest ScottMann

Gordon's head wasn't that low though. The Aberdeen guy's foot was surely higher than Liam's head was lower if that makes sense. If there was any foul it was for us imho. I agree about other Gordon though!

Gordon's head wasn't that low though. The Aberdeen guy's foot was surely higher than Liam's head was lower if that makes sense. If there was any foul it was for us imho. I agree about other Gordon though!

No denying there's an argument against the decision but he does bend down towards the ball which probably swayed the ref. The rule is very much open to the interpretation of the ref. One ref's kick in the puss may be another's "preventing an otherwise legal play of the ball by putting oneself in danger to prevent play of said ball".

Can'the think of any other reason for a foul against Saints that wasn't contested by any player.

Must be an exception for keepers who by definition of their role have to get their head pretty close to onrushing feet.

Thought FCU were great last night! Love their contribution home and away... Thought they brought some atmosphere to the match! I did notice 3 policeman have a word with them, I did see the humour in this, and wonder if the police will be so diligent at the weekend:-)

Just like some on here, the police know they're an easy target. 

Had to laugh at the grown men in the Aberdeen end challenging them to fight. 90% of them are still at school.