Saints v Ross County 19/11/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

I suggest you make that your first and last post to be perfectly honest. 

There were good points in there. I get frustrated by fans who think we should settle for the cup win two years ago and succumb to inevitable deterioration. We could easily be third, but for some awful....truly awful defending. I think we are better than Sevco....we need to show it every week.

COYS

i have been reading this bulletin board for a couple of years now but never felt the need to comment, until now. Unfortunately i have a season ticket and it is the only reason i still turn up to watch. Personally i see a talented group of players who under the leadership of a decent manager could easily push for third, possibly even second. However under Tommy Wright management we will continue to be served up these appalling excuses for football matches. I fully appreciate what we have achieved over the last few years but the cup win and european qualifications cannot be fully attributed to our manager. No matter what anyone says without Stevie May there would very likely have been no cup win and without the Orcs from Govan and Hearts being in the league the european qualifications would have been highly unlikely. Who wouldn't love to see a return to the attacking, entertaining games of the late 1990,s rather than watch this drivel. If this sort of football carries on it is inevitable that our crowd numbers will reduce and this is something we can ill afford.

It was Wright who gave May an opportunity to play. Lomas was planning to punt him.

I am not putting Saints achievements down over the last few years. What they achieved was incredible for a team with our resources. I had waited 40 years for this and when the cup win came it truly was one of the best days of my life however you have to remember that football has to be entertaining to get bums on seats and what we are producing now is, in Edstars words, turgid. If we continue to play this negative style of football, especially at home, the crowds will reduce, the season ticket sales will decrease and the team we all love will inevitably slip into the bottom half of the table. Cetrain posters can slag me off as much as they like but at this moment in time we are behind rangers and hearts (who are no great teams) and i cannot see how playing one striker up front at home with no plan B by our manager is going to get us out of this or get fans flocking back. Remember St Johnstone are a business which needs revenue and the fans are our lifeblood. The teams we have bean neaten by at home lately should never be shown such respect as to play one up front, come on Tommy lets have a go at teams at home and get the entertainment back..  

The fact is we've scored some incredible goals this season. We always go through a dip around this time, and we always have a wee spell of smashing sides. 

It baffles me someone who's been a regular for years is finding the current form a surprise. The only different between previous seasons in that all our poor results are coming at home instead of being spread out 

Edited by RandomGuy

The fact is we've scored some incredible goals this season. We always go through a dip around this time, and we always have a wee spell of smashing sides. 

It baffles me someone who's been a regular for years is finding the current form a surprise. The only different between previous seasons in that all our poor results are coming at home instead of being spread out 

Agree we are never going to win every game, but one year these mini slumps might just keep going and once your in them it's hard to break, and we could be in trouble, just because we have a good period at the end of the last few seasons doesn't mean it will happen every year.

really need another option up front in January and a bit more pace throughout the team

The teams who have beaten us at home recently have all played decent.. We don't help ourselves mind you. .. But it's Scottish football,  mistakes are made and goals are scored.  It's unpredictable and when things go our way it's superb.

If bored watching football, there's maybe something else that's troubling your mind.  The game is only 90 minutes.  Most games for me pass quickly, too quickly as it happens when trying to chase a result.

One thing for sure, we will bag 3 points sooner rather than later.

Correct, and Ross county went 11 games without a win and were 3 up against us!!!!

We could change things by having a real go at teams - best form of defence is sometimes attack

I have to agree with you, we show too many teams too much respect, especially at home and there is only 1 team in this league that are miles ahead of us. 2nd place is well within our reach this season but a lot of players really need to step it up a few levels.

As for Stevie May, we still haven't replaced him and most likely won't. 

Ross county went 11 games without a win and were 3 up against us!!!

During that spell you will obviously be aware they were missing key players through injury.  Imagine our run of results missing Swanson Macca and Muzz at the same time, in fact probably best that no anyone thinks about that.. 

I reckon we will be tussling with County for league positions later in the season, the bottom of league and tragic run they had was a result of injured players.

They had better desire to win than us on that grim day.. 2 goal defeat was bad,  we all agree, but we had an off day and they played decent.

6 goals can't be boring. For a brief moment in that nightmare, I believed that we'd have pulled it back to 3-3, pitty we couldn't defend a throw in near the corner flag, shocking, but hope that's the last we see of that horror defending.  So uncharacteristic for us.

No matter what anyone says without Stevie May there would very likely have been no cup win and without the Orcs from Govan and Hearts being in the league the european qualifications would have been highly unlikely. 

Agree with this. Without our best player we would have struggled to win the cup, so it doesn't really count. Similarly, Ronaldo has been influential in Real Madrid's two recent Champions League victories, so I don't think the team or manager deserve any credit. Football teams and managers should only get credit if there is not a stand out player in the team.

And the second point, I have to agree again. Barcelona were also not in the league so Celtic's titles recently are all tainted. 

I hate to agree with Widge, he doesn't like Perth, but he has a point here to be fair. Utterly ludicrous talking down of Saints recent achievements, and if there weren't posters like Cagey on this site that confirm there are Saints fans this negative, I'd have pegged this post as a Dundonian troll. 

You really aren't reading the posts are you!!

I want a successful Saints team for years to come. The sole reason for the posts are because i am constantly frustrated by the way a talented squad who can easily perform to a far higher level are being held back by a manager who would rather defend in every game than have a go at teams. I have said this over and over. To answer your truly pointless remarks re Real Madrid and Barcelona - how many times do they change managers?? Answer, constantly. That is why they are always successful. New managers bring new ideas and keep there teams guessing. Tommy Wright has the same idea week in week out and everybody has sussed him out. You and all the other posters on this site who constantly hark back to past achievements are starting to sound like the Aberdeen fans who still believe they should be constantly winning titles and cups because Fergie was there 30 years ago.    

I want a successful Saints team for years to come. The sole reason for the posts are because i am constantly frustrated by the way a talented squad who can easily perform to a far higher level are being held back by a manager who would rather defend in every game than have a go at teams. I have said this over and over. To answer your truly pointless remarks re Real Madrid and Barcelona - how many times do they change managers?? Answer, constantly. That is why they are always successful. New managers bring new ideas and keep there teams guessing. Tommy Wright has the same idea week in week out and everybody has sussed him out. You and all the other posters on this site who constantly hark back to past achievements are starting to sound like the Aberdeen fans who still believe they should be constantly winning titles and cups because Fergie was there 30 years ago.    

If we hadn't done anything since we won the Scottish Cup i'd have sympathy for your point. As we have subsequently qualified for Europe for only the sixth time in our history (four of which TW has been at the club btw) and then finished fourth again the following season, I'm going to suggest you aren't an altogether serious poster. 

Edited by Ali91

Would the evidence not suggest that we are currently going through one of, if not the most, successful period in the clubs history?

The midfield is struggling this season which is putting more pressure on the defence.

We are suffering because of how out of form Wotherspoon and Craig currently are with injury dictating that they be more involved than they should be.

Swanson is currently our standout player and if he is having a quiet game the rest of the midfield is not doing enough defensively or creatively.

Who would you like to replace TW with?

. To answer your truly pointless remarks re Real Madrid and Barcelona - how many times do they change managers?? Answer, constantly. That is why they are always successful. New managers bring new ideas and keep there teams guessing.

im guessing they are successful becauase they have more money than anyone else and can afford the best players.

the constant changing of managers is working well for the fakes 

The point you make is exactly why i would like to see something change. Our midfield, the one put together solely by TW, is not working and the guys who he brought in as cover give no better option. This is why (generally speaking) when subs are made they don't affect the outcome. We desperately need to change our style of play especially at home and try to attack more. If the midfield had players to pick out up front or in a wide position then the negativity of sideways or backward passing would be greatly reduced. I see a midfield who look frustrated every game as they are simply not being given options to play.

I also agree that we are currently going through the most successful period in our history but the signs are there that this period is coming to an end and with the squad we have it really shouldn't be.

The point you make is exactly why i would like to see something change. Our midfield, the one put together solely by TW, is not working and the guys who he brought in as cover give no better option. This is why (generally speaking) when subs are made they don't affect the outcome. We desperately need to change our style of play especially at home and try to attack more. If the midfield had players to pick out up front or in a wide position then the negativity of sideways or backward passing would be greatly reduced. I see a midfield who look frustrated every game as they are simply not being given options to play.

I also agree that we are currently going through the most successful period in our history but the signs are there that this period is coming to an end and with the squad we have it really shouldn't be.

With Millar and Davidson both injured. Then having Spoony and Craig out of form what can be changed realistically?

i am constantly frustrated by the way a talented squad who can easily perform to a far higher level are being held back by a manager who would rather defend in every game than have a go at teams. I have said this over and over.   

Last season we were the fourth highest scorers in the league, and in terms of total goals, there was over 110 in our 38 league games, more goals than any other club than Celtic. 

How can you say that's defensive? 

Also, Barca and Real are the richest clubs on the planet, that's why they're successful, not because they change managers every few seasons. 

sorry but the bloody quote function seems to be phucking goosed.... so it's good old copy and paste time..

banjomcgoo    6

Members

6 posts

Posted 6 hours ago · Report post

So what are you suggesting??  Do you think we should be punting the manager Gordon???

sorry but the bloody quote function seems to be phucking goosed.... so it's good old copy and paste time..

banjomcgoo    6

Members

6 posts

Posted 6 hours ago · Report post

So what are you suggesting??  Do you think we should be punting the manager Gordon???

The manager is called Tommy.

Is this why the Secret Seven punted you?