Tommy Has Gone

Mr Dennis Wise

Are you drunk?

Jim Duffy seems to be the West Coast medias golden boy at the moment off the back of a few decent results with Morton.

He got chased out of Hibs, got Dundee relegated, failed to get Brechin and Clyde promoted and until recently some Morton fans were suggesting he should get punted.

So, thanks, but no thanks.

Callum Davidson will be the next manager of St Johnstone, but let's hope Tommy hangs around for a few more years to come.

I said if Callum left too.

Duff didn't have the players at those clubs but he was very well respected coach at Chelsea, where Jody Morris is now. He is probably the most experienced manager in Scotland as he first managed in 1989 you might not know.

I would also suggest Jimmy Nicholl, who won Raith Rovers a cup and is very highly regarded by Michael O'Neill.

As much as this is a bullsh!t thread with a clickbait title, it has made me wonder about Callum.

There seems to be a fairly open understanding that CD is being groomed to be the next Saints manager, but what if Tommy actually was offered a big money move down south, or an international management job (NI for example). Do you think Callum would follow and go with him if he was given the chance?

His motivations seem to be different to other ex-pro coaches/managers, less driven and more family focused. He appears to be settled back at home in Dunblane, Saints are a obviously team close to his heart, but also a club close to his house. Is that what we would want in a manager? Somebody who's happy to stick around the club because it's the convenient choice?

Would you be confident with Davidson in charge?

Has he gone yet? i'm sick of reading in the papers every week how he should be at a bigger club and how he is over achieving at saints blah blah feckin blah.

he cant even mastermind beating the likes of kilmarnock, partick thistle and ross county at feckin home so why would any club come knocking at the door?

he cant even mastermind beating the likes of kilmarnock, partick thistle and ross county at feckin home so why would any club come knocking at the door?

I guess we'll just have to settle for him masterminding top 6 finishes, regular European football and a Cup win instead. We really do have it tough as Saints fans.

I guess we'll just have to settle for him masterminding top 6 finishes, regular European football and a Cup win instead. We really do have it tough as Saints fans.

Thats no the point though is it? his recent form has been sh*ite and if he (or his agent)  wants to put himself in the shop window, he has to start by winning games against killie, county and thistle instead of getting humped by them, maybe his mind is not focused on his current job at the moment was my point :idea:

Thats no the point though is it? his recent form has been sh*ite and if he (or his agent)  wants to put himself in the shop window, he has to start by winning games against killie, county and thistle instead of getting humped by them, maybe his mind is not focused on his current job at the moment was my point :idea:

I disagree with your point. We're Saints - we're always going to get bad runs and dodgy results. Surely the real "point" is that we're operating with one of the lowest budgets in the league and yet we enjoy year after year of success, and that yet again this season we've stayed comfortably within the top 6?

I'd be very surprised if the manager's "focus" was an issue. To me he comes across as one of the most focussed managers I've seen at Saints.

"We're Saints - we're always going to get bad runs and dodgy results" That's exactly what is wrong....we don't want to be the Saints which will never take the step forward!

Winning the Scottish Cup was great, but what have we gone onto achieve since and how often are we giving ourselves an uphill battle by losing the first goal or any goal for that matter?

All fine and well finishing in top six and getting reasonable plaudits for it, but I want to see my team progress and once again this season we appear to be having our mid season dip when realistically we have dropped enough points in matches to be sitting in a higher league position!

Over many seasons and even in matches this season the same mistakes are being made and not rectified, everyone from the manager down has to be seeing this...I know the fans are, so why isn't it being addressed?

I suppose I'll just have to console myself with the belief that Saints are "punching above their weight" as stated by many and the season will finish with us gaining more victories in the title run in. 

A couple of wins in the coming weeks, especially at home will make me believe that we'll not be drawn into a bottom half battle, but it wouldn't be Saints if they didn't make you suffer before giving a memorable victory somewhere further down the line!   

Edited by Pelosi

"We're Saints - we're always going to get bad runs and dodgy results" That's exactly what is wrong....we don't want to be the Saints which will never take the step forward!

Winning the Scottish Cup was great, but what have we gone onto achieve since and how often are we giving ourselves an uphill battle by losing the first goal or any goal for that matter?

All fine and well finishing in top six and getting reasonable plaudits for it, but I want to see my team progress and once again this season we appear to be having our mid season dip when realistically we have dropped enough points in matches to be sitting in a higher league position!

Over many seasons and even in matches this season the same mistakes are being made and not rectified, everyone from the manager down has to be seeing this...I know the fans are, so why isn't it being addressed?

I suppose I'll just have to console myself with the belief that Saints are "punching above their weight" as stated by many and the season will finish with us gaining more victories in the title run in. 

A couple of wins in the coming weeks, especially at home will make me believe that we'll not be drawn into a bottom half battle, but it wouldn't be Saints if they didn't make you suffer before giving a memorable victory somewhere further down the line!   

So what exactly do you think Saints should be achieving, and realistically how much further do you think we can progress? What would be an acceptable target for this season? Should we be finishing second? Challenging for the title?

Of course we should always be striving to improve, and when we lose to teams below us we should be looking to stop that from happening - but I'm pretty sure that already happens anyway.

For what it's worth, I expect us to finish fourth again but would be reasonably happy with anything inside the top six. I also see winning the Scottish Cup as a big, achievable target for this season.

Off topic somewhat, but also related:

The fact that they didn't capitalise on that by pushing season ticket sales, enticing parents to take their kids to games to encourage the next generation of fans was, in my opinion, a spectacular own goal.

I had the spare cash money and the feelgood factor from the zeitgeist of the win. But, by the time the season book sales came round, that feeling had dissipated a bit and I was able to analyse the cost of the season book versus cost of paying at the gate for games I would actually be able to manage. Ended up taking the latter option and never bought a season book. Whereas, if I had bought one for that following season, I may well have bought another in seasons since through habit. 
I can't be the only one that did that. I know my brother was exactly the same as I found out later on that year.

I'll certainly be happy if Saints finish in the top six, but like blueheaven states, striving to improve on that and winning or getting to another cup final should be our goal...which I'm sure it is!

The few teams above us at the moment have far greater resources, but with the exception of both Celtic and Rangers there's no reason why we cannot compete with the others There are many clubs with greater resources below us both in the Premiership and other divisions, so it's difficult to find fault apart from the frustration of getting into a position to take that step forward and ultimately stalling or stepping backwards!

Back on track for the thread, I believe Tommy has continued to consolidate Saints as a top six team and the progress however slow and steady over decades has made us the envy of many other clubs. I just hope that we can stop losing the first goal, or any goal for that matter as this has been a recurring problem and may have a more serious affect as the season progresses.

Edited by Pelosi

So what exactly do you think Saints should be achieving, and realistically how much further do you think we can progress? What would be an acceptable target for this season? Should we be finishing second? Challenging for the title?

Of course we should always be striving to improve, and when we lose to teams below us we should be looking to stop that from happening - but I'm pretty sure that already happens anyway.

For what it's worth, I expect us to finish fourth again but would be reasonably happy with anything inside the top six. I also see winning the Scottish Cup as a big, achievable target for this season.

Europe, and a good cup run.