Saints v Motherwell 17/12/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

Played much worse and won. Failed to take a few good chances and got lucky with the goal.

For the shots on target debate, Motherwells one 'shot' was the header near the end that had no power and think was a deflection that took the sting out of it.

Kane did well holding the ball up and won most in the air, however I don't think it works with him and macca together. Both are great with a nippy striker beside them.

Midge was good too. Interesting that the players looked to him a lot of the time to control the game. Obviously respect him.

Played much worse and won. Failed to take a few good chances and got lucky with the goal.

For the shots on target debate, Motherwells one 'shot' was the header near the end that had no power and think was a deflection that took the sting out of it.

Kane did well holding the ball up and won most in the air, however I don't think it works with him and macca together. Both are great with a nippy striker beside them.

Midge was good too. Interesting that the players looked to him a lot of the time to control the game. Obviously respect him.

Kane is our "nippy striker" I'm not sure if you've noticed but he's one of the faster players within our squad...?

I think the criticism from Aberdeen is having its effect as Saints seem to be passing a bit too much instead of being more direct & also passing out side instead of having a shot. Second half was better.

The other thing , Macca said they were calling them rugby players. I would like to see the stats as I think our crime count would be one of the best outside Celtic.

Kane is our "nippy striker" I'm not sure if you've noticed but he's one of the faster players within our squad...?

I don't mean by pace necessarily, I more mean the type of player who latches onto the knockdowns he does well and is a bit of a poacher in the box. For me Kane is a good forward, but is never going to be the type of player who is going to get us 20+ goals a season. I see him as the provider in a striking partnership on a holding up lone striker in the future.

Kane and McLean are too similar in that respect for me. Both good at holding it up and winning balls.

Guest ScottMann

I don't mean by pace necessarily, I more mean the type of player who latches onto the knockdowns he does well and is a bit of a poacher in the box. For me Kane is a good forward, but is never going to be the type of player who is going to get us 20+ goals a season. I see him as the provider in a striking partnership on a holding up lone striker in the future.

Kane and McLean are too similar in that respect for me. Both good at holding it up and winning balls.

Can you see Kane being MacLean's replacement? 

Can you see Kane being MacLean's replacement? 

Yes, I think in Kane we have exactly that. He's still got a long way to go, but you can see him becoming much cleverer with his game. I don't think he'll ever have the impact May did, but he is developing into a MacLean type player. 

Kane is not progressing in my opinion. Needs to work on the following:

Play off the shoulder of your defender and stop continuously having your back to goal - this slows up play and is great for opposition defenders 

Still lacks confidence/ability to beat men

Lack any serious aerial threat.

Three goals this season. One smacked off his arm yesterday and the goal v Hearts was down to a Macca dummy.

Mmmh:?

Kane had a good game yesterday, but to say he will develop into a similar player to Macca is stretching it a tad 

Will do him no harm playing / training with a guy like MacLean, but certain things can't be taught, vision being one

Time will tell chief .time will tell.

Kane averages a goal every three games at this level, in terms of actual minutes on the pitch. 

His record this season is marginally better than previous seasons, for us, which suggests he is improving. He definitely isn't the finished article, but how many 22 year old strikers at this level are? Before anyone says it, May wasn't close to being a finished article either, he regularly miscontrolled and overhit passes, its just he had the self-confidence to create his own chances.

I say it alot, but a Kane and May frontline would've worked well.

Heres a comparison between Griffiths and Kane by the time they were 22...

Griffiths: Championship - 96 games, 44 goal - 7,331 minutes - Goal every 81 minutes OR Goal every game

Premiership - 30 games, 8 goals - 2,143 minutes - Goal every 268 minutes OR Goal every 3 games

Kane: Championship - 27 games, 15 goals - 2,031 minutes - Goal every 135 minutes OR Goal every 1.5 games

Premiership - 63 games, 8 goals - 2,502 minutes - Goal every 312 minutes Or Goal every 3.5 games

I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Griffiths, as hes not, but, stats-wise in terms of goals/minutes on the pitch, he almost matches him at the same stage of their careers. You just have to look past the "games played" stat, as that includes five minute appearances in games we've already won and are sitting in.

Edited by RandomGuy

With having no effective striker, by that I mean one that scores a bucket load of goals, the midfield needs to step up. Certain parts of this forum protect Spoony but is he just going to be unlucky forever with his chances ? I think the pressure is on the midfield to score because we do not have a regular goal scoring forward player. Just my opinion.