Scottish Cup 5th Round - Saints v Partick 11/2/17

jhq

Not gonna moan much but I'll say this - If Saints canna be arsed playing in a cup game then I canna be arsed freezing my balls off to watch that crap. I'll come back when it's warmer. Our style of play is crap and boring to watch. If Swanson and Macca ain't doing it for us then we look lost.

TW was publicly very outspoken and forthright with his views on the referee last weekend and so I hope to hear him continue being so forthwright in his views on that disgusting performance! Today was unacceptable and if that's deemed good enough by our manager and board then McD holds no interest to me any longer and Im gonna find better things to do with my time and money!

Not first to the ball today.

Not first to the loose ball.

Lucky if we were third to the ball today.

Sadly lacking pace and speed of thought.

As an aside- thought if a player got treatment on the pitch he had to leave the pitch before play could resume.

Ref. turned his back and ran off while the player got up and stayed on the pitch. Sideline assistant who was 3 yards away failed to draw Ref's attention to the fact. Unless the rules have changed, I am forming the opinion that all ref's are in desperate need of a refresher course.

P.S. I am not blaming the ref.for today's defeat. 

Very poor, as has been a lot of games this season, but to consider stop going just don't get that at all, but suppose that's up to the individual, supporting a team like saints is always going to be ups and downs.

A chance wasted today to get a decent cup run with some of the teams left in it, too many players off the pace, looked like a team of amateurs that had been out on the piss on Friday night.

Really need some pace, and another striker, all for continuity, but we do need a bit of a shake up and a few of the guys resigning/still to resign are getting on a bit, seems we are coming to a crossroads.

As an aside- thought if a player got treatment on the pitch he had to leave the pitch before play could resume.

Ref. turned his back and ran off while the player got up and stayed on the pitch. Sideline assistant who was 3 yards away failed to draw Ref's attention to the fact. Unless the rules have changed

They have. If the opponent player gets booked in the incident, then the player receiving treatment does not require to leave the field of play

I did wonder why Edwards asked the ref. He was just making sure of the new rule

Very poor, as has been a lot of games this season, but to consider stop going just don't get that at all, but suppose that's up to the individual, supporting a team like saints is always going to be ups and downs.

A chance wasted today to get a decent cup run with some of the teams left in it, too many players off the pace, looked like a team of amateurs that had been out on the piss on Friday night.

Really need some pace, and another striker, all for continuity, but we do need a bit of a shake up and a few of the guys resigning/still to resign are getting on a bit, seems we are coming to a crossroads.

Hey  what u got against a bunch of amateurs going out on the piss on Friday night and playing Saturday??

On more than a few occasions I'm sure they would perform admirably. 

Our cup win nostalgia needs to be placed well. You are totally correct, important and ultimately pragmatic decisions need to be made in order to move forward - specifically playing staff. We have only one striker of SPFL quality.

Not first to the ball today.

Not first to the loose ball.

Lucky if we were third to the ball today.

Sadly lacking pace and speed of thought.

Ref. turned his back and ran off while the player got up and stayed on the pitch. Sideline assistant who was 3 yards away failed to draw Ref's attention to the fact. Unless the rules have changed, I am forming the opinion that all ref's are in desperate need of a refresher course.

P.S. I am not blaming the ref.for today's defeat. 

I thought the same however heard this being discussed on the radio on the way home. Apparently there has been a rule change and if the player who has committed the foul is booked for the incident, then the injured player can remain on the pitch after treatment.

Woeful.  Next.....!   

As for that injury... When the player stayed on after treatment. That's fair. Why should an attacking team be penalised. I didn't shout, I don't know all the rules. Pretty obvious the ref knew what he was doing.. Just highlights some of players don't know the rules either.  I presumed a rule change but fans going mental like they know the rules was as embarrassing as our performance today.  The ref knew the rules.   Amazing how fans know the rules but are unlikely to have ever read the rule book.  Ref was average today, missed numerous fouls agaibst both teams, so I thought.

Team didn't turn up today. Partick fully deserve to be in the hat, they looked like they wanted it more.. Think we pi$$ed em of when we beat me in the league. 

I thought the same however heard this being discussed on the radio on the way home. Apparently there has been a rule change and if the player who has committed the foul is booked for the incident, then the injured player can remain on the pitch after treatment.

Didn't know this. But was obvious to work out.  Saints players protesting might need a refresh of the rules also.  Good fair rule now.  Useful to witness it for future.... Could use this in favour of time wasting which is obviously not in the spirit of the game but nevertheless 

Didn't know this. But was obvious to work out.  Saints players protesting might need a refresh of the rules also.  Good fair rule now.  Useful to witness it for future.... Could use this in favour of time wasting which is obviously not in the spirit of the game but nevertheless 

Time wasting was the reason he stayed down as he looked OK after treatment. Funny how Thistle knew the rules(told the ref as we'll)but Saints players didn't.

Rules keep changing but the game never improves.

I was working today so wasn't there, but we are some way off second to fourth in terms of budget and this is reflected in the respective playing squads. It's a great testament to the mental strength and determination of our players that we are in competing with that group as opposed to the group below us. We have off days, it happens. To suggest a lack of effort or desire from that group of players and throw the toys out of the pram like some of our fans are doing is bizarre to be honest. 

Edited by Ali91

Time wasting was the reason he stayed down as he looked OK after treatment. Funny how Thistle knew the rules(told the ref as we'll)but Saints players didn't.

Rules keep changing but the game never improves.

The physio came on. Rubed his shin pad for a few moments and that was him good to go. Worst thing was it was a fair challenge but appears now a days in Scotland any challenge like that is 100% a free kick. (Possibly another rule change / interpretation )

Edited by Dave H

I was working today so wasn't there, but we are some way off second to fourth in terms of budget and this is reflected in the respective playing squads. It's a great testament to the mental strength and determination of our players that we are in competing with that group as opposed to the group below us. We have off days, it happens. To suggest a lack of effort or desire from that group of players and throw the toys out of the pram like some of our fans are doing is bizarre to be honest. 

I think your analysis of a game you state you were not in attendance of, is poorly judged.

The desire from Thistle in comparison to ourselves was clearly evident for all to see today. To suggest otherwise is to defend the indefensible. A very poor performance, we deserve to be out.

I think your analysis of a game you state you were not in attendance of, is poorly judged.

The desire from Thistle in comparison to ourselves was clearly evident for all to see today. To suggest otherwise is to defend the indefensible. A very poor performance, we deserve to be out.

I've watched this team for years, I know a lack of character and work ethic is something that I would never accuse them of. A lack of creativity and skill at times yes, but not effort. Very much doubt a team with Maclean, Davidson and Anderson as a spine would ever have a lack of desire. 

Each to their own though, I'll be in Dingwall next week, if people would rather not go and watch Saints then that's their prerogative. 

We have been involved in a similar pattern of performance for the last season and a half now. Play well against top teams and trip up against teams of a lower standing. TW is perfectly able to work out a teams tactics and stop them being able to play I.e. Dundee utd, Aberdeen and rangers from the last week while. Teams like partick, Killie, Hamilton, Dundee have all set up to stop us playing and we generally have little guile or flair to break teams down.

A shake up of formation, tactics and personnel that makes us less predictable and perhaps give us an edge to get the first goal (as that is all the is required most games) would freshen things up. 

We seem to set up with a standard 442 with predictable personnel and hope for the best against bottom six teams these days and we are far too easy to play against.

TW was publicly very outspoken and forthright with his views on the referee last weekend and so I hope to hear him continue being so forthwright in his views on that disgusting performance! Today was unacceptable and if that's deemed good enough by our manager and board then McD holds no interest to me any longer and Im gonna find better things to do with my time and money!

Come on. Your team is your team. Yes we were utterly dire against Thistle. But Saints is in the blood for all of us....isn't it?

For as much as we were shit first half I think the result is tainting our second half performance a bit. It really wasn't that bad. If any of Macleans, Kanes or Alstons close efforts bad gone in we'd be reflecting very differently.

Yes the first half was rotten. Yes it's identical to how we've played against County, Kilmarnock and the last time against Thistle at home. But we did improve second half and we should have scored at least one. We actually played more football second half today than any time in the win against thistle last week.

Just gonnae put this down as a "Bad day at the office" scenario. Seen us play worse (by a mile) and still come away wi' something but today, nowt went our way. Too many bodies having an off day at the same time. It happens, we'll survive and as for Hoodlum saying he'll no be back, how many of us have said that on a saturday at 20mins to five? Me for one. Only tae turn up next week for mair? I'll not be back .............

.........until the Killie game.

C.O.Y.S. !!

See ye there Hoodlum :wink:

Edited by Oldermoresensiblepack

Just gonnae put this down as a "Bad day at the office" scenario. Seen us play worse (by a mile) and still come away wi' something but today, nowt went our way. Too many bodies having an off day at the same time. It happens, we'll survive and as for Hoodlum saying he'll no be back, how many of us have said that on a saturday at 20mins to five? Me for one. Only tae turn up next week for mair? I'll not be back .............

.........until the Killie game.

C.O.Y.S. !!

See ye there Hoodlum :wink:

Ha ha. Yer no half a wind up merchant. :laugh:.

I'll be at Dingwall next week. 

I agree with Broon's assessment of yesterday afternoon and can't help but feel a lot of the reaction is a bit hysterical. A day on, I suspect some folk might have calmed down, especially the not going back brigade. Chucking it after a 1-0 defeat in the cup, really?

First half there are few excuses for (and our opponents played well) but the second half was a decent attempt at getting back in the game and as Broon says, if one of the near misses from MacLean, Kane or Alston goes in, I think the comments on here are very different.