Tommy for Rangers

Shibbydoo

This makes me think ,especially with the speculation regarding Tommy & Danny. How many managers or players have left Saints & gone on to better things.

You might argue that McInness is doing OK after failure at Bristol. Even May struggled at Wednesday & PNA before his injury.

But one might argue the fact that all of them, along with the likes of Mikey O'Halloran, Fran Sandaza, Liam Craig and Danny Swanson, jumped at the first chance. Even if Tommy hasn't been offered a deal, at no point has he ever stated that he has bigger ambitions than Saints, unlike the listed above who moved at the first opportunity. He has always been 110% commited to Saints, and has shown great respect to the Chairman, the club and us fans.

The difference is that Tommy is unique in his approach in comparison; he's intelligent and he knows what's right for him both financially and career wise - taking his family into consideration every step of the way.

He will move to a club which is decent in size, he knows a lot about, and a club where he will have the hierarchical stability and contractual assurances that he will be able to make an impact and to build in accordance to his own and the club's ambitions.

He might take a punt on Rangers as he's not shy of a gamble, but he won't go for as long as Rangers are going down the route of Football Directors and what have you.

The only place Tommy's realistically going to go is the Championship. If/when that time comes, I'll put a punt that it'll be Norwich, if they get rid of AN.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

I agree with your overall point that TW knows what is right for him and composed enough to wait for it but he has said it is his ambition to go down south before 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-johnstone-boss-tommy-wright-8656340

Of course any player and manager has ambitions, it's how you control them that's the key.

Compare Tommy with our last 3 managers before him...

-Owen was a player for us, had an ambition to manage in England, went to a "bigger" job at his first chance, succeeded, went to an even "bigger" job at his first chance, sacked, joined a "big" club at his first chance, sacked, did it again, sacked, now jobless.

-Del was a player for us, had an ambition to manage in England, went to a "bigger" job at his first chance, sacked, currently maintaining good form with Aberdeen in a league that suits him

-Lomas played at the highest level in England, had an ambition to manage there, went a "bigger" job at his first offer, sacked, now jobless

-Tommy played at the highest level in England, has an ambition to manage there, offered a "bigger" job, rejected it, still continues to maintain the success he has had with us

What Tommy has different compared to Owen, Del and Lomas, is that he is able to control his ambitions based on how he feels about his family, himself and his own ability to do the job to the best in his ability. The other 3 moved at the first opportunity, as if to say that nothing else mattered for the fact that they were "bigger" clubs, with "bigger" wages,  with "bigger prospects", with "bigger" chance of being noticed by an even "bigger" club. Tommy is able to look past the size of the club and realise that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere simply because it's "bigger" - and that is what makes Tommy a very intelligent manager, which is what makes him different from the other 3. He takes the hand he's dealt with, he plays in accordance to his ability and judgement and succeeds. And that is why he is different than any manager we've had, and why he is the greatest we've had.

F*ck I wrote a lot!

Of course any player and manager has ambitions, it's how you control them that's the key.

-Owen was a player for us, had an ambition to manage in England, went to a "bigger" job at his first chance, succeeded, went to an even "bigger" job at his first chance, sacked, joined a "big" club at his first chance, sacked, did it again, sacked, now jobless.

-Del was a player for us, had an ambition to manage in England, went to a "bigger" job at his first chance, sacked, currently maintaining good form with Aberdeen in a league that suits him

-Lomas played at the highest level in England, had an ambition to manage there, went a "bigger" job at his first offer, sacked, now jobless

-Tommy played at the highest level in England, has an ambition to manage there, offered a "bigger" job, rejected it, still continues to maintain the success he has had with us

What Tommy has different compared to Owen, Del and Lomas, is that he is able to control his ambitions based on how he feels about his family, himself and his own ability to do the job to the best in his ability. The other 3 moved at the first opportunity, as if to say that nothing else mattered for the fact that they were "bigger" clubs, with "bigger" wages,  with "bigger prospects", with "bigger" chance of being noticed by an even "bigger" club. Tommy is able to look past the size of the club and realise that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere simply because it's "bigger" - and that is what makes Tommy a very intelligent manager, which is what makes him different from the other 3. He takes the hand he's dealt with, he plays in accordance to his ability and judgement and succeeds. And that is why he is different than any manager we've had, and why he is the greatest we've had.

F*ck I wrote a lot!

Mental

I think this summer will be a big one for Tommy. He's done a great job with Saints and if his ambition was to go elsewhere, then no one could really begrudge him.

However, Tommy is a manager who wouldn't necessarily fit a lot of clubs, particularly in a summer appointment. A lot of clubs will be much more willing to take a punt on a young coach or recently retired player. I think we'll see a trend towards director of football and a young coach under him like Hearts and Tommy isn't suited to either although I could see him as a DOF at some point.

The most likely type of job for him would be either a club in crisis looking for a man manager or a more traditionally structured club where the manager has total control.

Much like our club, he is under rated and not glamorous, but highly effective and efficient.

Owen Coyle would tell you he rejected a couple of Scottish clubs when he was at Saints and McInnes knocked back a move to Brentford as well. It's not fair to say they jumped at the first opportunity. Lomas on the other hand...

St Johnstone boss rejects Brentford move: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/13327691

Even though Tommy has proven himself as a success at this level, I think a lot of rangers fans wouldn't like him appointed as he is not a 'high profile' name.

I fully expect Mr Wright tae toddle off down south and he would go with my blessings (no pun intended Abernethy :roll:) enjoyed watching him at Maine Road enjoyed having him as a manager at McDairmid BUT if he goes to that shower of lying twisted f##kwitts  then I'm burning my 1998 city keepers jumper.

so there you have been warned.

I fully expect Mr Wright tae toddle off down south and he would go with my blessings (no pun intended Abernethy :roll:) enjoyed watching him at Maine Road enjoyed having him as a manager at McDairmid BUT if he goes to that shower of lying twisted f##kwitts  then I'm burning my 1998 city keepers jumper.

so there you have been warned.

Have the moths gotten to it then?

F*ck I wrote a lot!

Wright turned down the Milwall assistant's job which could technically be considered a bigger job given the increased budget and wage and general size of club... but as far as I'm aware he's never been offered a manager's job with a significantly bigger club.

Personally I don't think he fits the profile that a lot of English Championship/League One clubs are looking for. Age-wise, I think he may have missed the boat, unless he achieves something absolutely spectacular (such as another Cup win, or genuine progress in Europe, or a top two finish). For me it's the larger Scottish clubs like Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen that pose more of a threat when it comes to taking him from us (along with of course Northern Ireland).

I think in reality the two things coming together to cause him to leave will be the NI job falling vacant, and Broon feeling Davidson is ready to take over.

There are a good few stable teams in the Championship which meet Tommy's managerial expectations in terms of conditions and assurances, one of them often looks to managers in Scotland.

What about Alec Cleland for a future manager? He's always stated his desire to do so, and has been a great servant to the first team and youth set up throughout the years.

Would he not need to maybe run a wee club first?

It would give him experience, I'll give you that.

But Del, Coyle and Lomas walked into the job without prior experience in management - with the first 2 having played for the club for a couple of years prior. Alec's been at the club since Del got us promoted, so he knows the club inside out, how it works, the wage structure etc, and has a repour with the senior and youth players. In my opinion, he'd be a very credible candidate for us on that basis.

It would give him experience, I'll give you that.

But Del, Coyle and Lomas walked into the job without prior experience in management - with the first 2 having played for the club for a couple of years prior. Alec's been at the club since Del got us promoted, so he knows the club inside out, how it works, the wage structure etc, and has a repour with the senior and youth players. In my opinion, he'd be a very credible candidate for us on that basis.

My vote would be for CupTie over the other two mentioned.