Tommy for Rangers

Shibbydoo

Really? You really think he would take it? If it were the money why not Millwall?

Personally I think TW has too much integrity...

You are right though he won't be offered the Sevco job because they are the delusional ones! They still think they should have a BIG name and TW doesn't fall in to that category.. plus he has seen what has happened to MOH so sometimes it's not just about the money!?! 

I dont think he'd even give it a second thought, he'd just accept anything they offered him.

Hes not getting a decent Championship job, he doesnt even get mentioned for them. Realistically, Rangers are the biggest club he'll get, he'll more than quadruple his wage, and if he gets it right he could win the title with them, hes never going to earn that much, or win a title, if he stays with us. 

Its just the way it is for teams like us. Managers and players will always have ambitions beyond us, and, to be honest, I'd rather have folk like that at the club than an entire squad of players who'll never do better than us

I dont think he'd even give it a second thought, he'd just accept anything they offered him.

Hes not getting a decent Championship job, he doesnt even get mentioned for them. Realistically, Rangers are the biggest club he'll get, he'll more than quadruple his wage, and if he gets it right he could win the title with them, hes never going to earn that much, or win a title, if he stays with us. 

Its just the way it is for teams like us. Managers and players will always have ambitions beyond us, and, to be honest, I'd rather have folk like that at the club than an entire squad of players who'll never do better than us

won't win the title for them going there now, there are light years behind Celtic, really just a top six team at the moment and with the Lion King in  charge will remain so, maybe his lifelong dream and who are we to deny him, but spare the bullshit about getting it right

Do you really think the hassle would be worth it... I agree everyone has their price... In the same way I don't slag players for moving on for the money I wouldn't blame TW if he did make a move to bolster his pension fund, however I would be really disappointed.... 

Tommy's prospects of managing in England would be well boosted if he went to Rangers. If he did well or was at least consistent for a season or 2, then all the media attention would prove to be in his favour in terms of getting his profile out there. As thingmay said, although I'd be disappointed if Tommy went, I wouldn't blame him for it. He deserved his chance.

Look at the bread man, he was portrayed as half as good at Brentford compared to now, and you see him getting linked with some pretty big jobs in England.

For all the touting by the press and by Tommy himself I actually reckon he has reached his peak ability. As you mentioned he isn't even considered for top Championship jobs and judging by some of his signings I would worry about his ability to rebuild a squad of a struggling team, as he has never had to do that. Or managing a team that would spend a lot of games trying to breakdown opposition. 

If I was him i would stay put, work out a plan B, figure out how to develop young players through to the first team and work on scouting and recruitment. 

Don't think anyone sensible would argue about that. The issue is the busy pimping of himself during the week before a key game in which, apparently, we were woeful.

Don't think anyone sensible would argue about that. The issue is the busy pimping of himself during the week before a key game in which, apparently, we were woeful.

I'm sensible and I'd argue with it all day long! There's no way they'll win the league in the near future,they'll need loads of investment to get any where near the Timothy's, and nobody's going to throw money at a lost cause 

Guest ScottMann

I've said before that his age won't help but check the bottom of the English Championship table. Given the speed they brought Mowbray in, Tommy presumably wasn't even considered for the Blackburn job, a basket case club heading for the 3rd Division. That's Mowbray, the same age as Tommy and with a growing record of failure.

Wigan went for a 52 year old from Man United Reserves who last had a senior managerial position about 10 years ago. Rotherham, adrift at the foot of the table, would rather have an interim manager who doesn't want the job than appoint another one from the pub league. 

Lets face it, despite a playing career with some big name clubs in England and presumably some good contacts given how decent a guy he is, Tommy just doesn't tick the right boxes for some reason, especially in the higher leagues. You'd think him having the sense not to go to Millwall would've been seen as a positive but maybe it hasn't helped the view of him down south...he can't handle the big leagues. No matter how well he's done he's only managed in the joke N Irish and Scottish leagues after all.

If he really want's to manage down south then he's going to have to take the first crap job he's offered to start building his managerial name in the English leagues or get a new agent. Maybe even both. 

won't win the title for them going there now, there are light years behind Celtic, really just a top six team at the moment and with the Lion King in  charge will remain so, maybe his lifelong dream and who are we to deny him, but spare the bullshit about getting it right

They could. Celtic could lose Rodgers, hire another Deila, and they'll shuffle right back down. 12 months ago they were a laughing stock, things change quickly. Its unlikely, but some folk might see it as worth the gamble.

Do you really think the hassle would be worth it... I agree everyone has their price... In the same way I don't slag players for moving on for the money I wouldn't blame TW if he did make a move to bolster his pension fund, however I would be really disappointed.... 

I dont think the hassle would be worth it, no. 

Yeah, its disappointing he chose to do it, especially at a time when players are committing to the club

That's 2 home games he has been outfoxed by Archibald & McCulloch.

He got praise for his substitution at Dingwall that won the game. A substitution TWO MINUTES from time.

If I was a BEAR I would prefer McCulloch ,a complete novice but one of them than a guy pimping himself for the job with no regard for effect it will have on his own team & supporters.

Tommy's prospects of managing in England would be well boosted if he went to Rangers. If he did well or was at least consistent for a season or 2, then all the media attention would prove to be in his favour in terms of getting his profile out there. As thingmay said, although I'd be disappointed if Tommy went, I wouldn't blame him for it. He deserved his chance.

Look at the bread man, he was portrayed as half as good at Brentford compared to now, and you see him getting linked with some pretty big jobs in England.

Or does it say the standard of management there is shyte

The thing is, we as fans think any manager should be thankful for the honour of managing Saints! I do! The grim reality is though, if we were managers in any other business, and you had a director who was saying to you that you only had a fraction of resources to that of your competitors yet you were expected to compete you would quickly say get lost! Move to a competitor with more resources! Sadly year on year TW has been working on a minuscule budget & expected to produce good results! I am sure there must be a time and I think probably the time is now when he thinks f..k it. I am off...Who wouldn't ... he must be the only manager on the planet who won a cup & still his budget wasn't increased!?! So Tommy if you do decide to move on I for one wouldn't blame you!?!  

To move on you have to have someone wanting to employ you. Given his track record you would think by now & with all the vacancies he would have been away by now.

I think he will be making a decent living with Saints so knuckle down & get on with the job,shut up & wait to see if anyone wants you.

The thing is, we as fans think any manager should be thankful for the honour of managing Saints! I do! The grim reality is though, if we were managers in any other business, and you had a director who was saying to you that you only had a fraction of resources to that of your competitors yet you were expected to compete you would quickly say get lost! Move to a competitor with more resources! Sadly year on year TW has been working on a minuscule budget & expected to produce good results! I am sure there must be a time and I think probably the time is now when he thinks f..k it. I am off...Who wouldn't ... he must be the only manager on the planet who won a cup & still his budget wasn't increased!?! So Tommy if you do decide to move on I for one wouldn't blame you!?!  

The player budget has increased by 40% since the final, as has been reported numerous times.

The player budget has increased by 40% since the final, as has been reported numerous times.

Does that not include remedial work to the stadium? 

R

Listened to the interview.. Come and get me is the cry to any team looking for a new gaffer. 

Players need to show loyalty in the press, what puts Tommy on a plinth to be allowed to draw interest... Let your work do the talking!

Only as good as your last result or something along that line. If we fail to win a game to the end of the season.. hypothetically, he needs sacked.

Was sickened to hear of the short term approach, I'm here to do a job.  Fans want a little more than that..  Let's see if he can pull 2 or 3 better class players in like he says we are missing, so to get to the next level.

Let's be honest he isn't the pedigree of manager now demanded in Govan even if he is saying come and get me!

Edited by Dave H

Tommy thrives on being the underdog and making the most of free transfers etc

Thats a different skill set to managing a team that expects to win and can pay money (who's I don't know) in the transfer market

All the signs about how shite we are at home to opponents below us in the league (when we are favourites) suggests to me that Tommy would be a terrible match for the Head Orc job

Finally, there has been a lot of speculation linking me with another job.  That is all it is and I would like to reassure you, as a season ticket holder, that I am as committed as ever to continuing the job at St Johnstone .  The Chairman and I remain ambitious and are working hard to re-sign existing players and talk with others for next season.  I am 100% happy at St Johnstone.  It’s my club, my  players and my job to make sure we go on and finish the season strongly.

Tommy.

above is extract from Tommy's email to season ticket holders.  Bet it does not get reported in the media from Glasgow