Tommy for Rangers

Shibbydoo

Interesting views of this particular round on manager merry go round, I have a strange gut feeling this time TW will depart somewhere to the three clubs mentioned, Gers if they get knocked back by Del. Dons if Del does move and I still think Arabs if they made move this time he would go, as said above it is gone a bit stale here for all of us, United could potentially give him three to four years of seeing improvement building them up to where Saints are just now. Yogi is favourite with the board but not wanted by the fans, The Snake needs to get it right this time TW would I think be a more satisfying appointment for all.

Fingers crossed he is still here this time next week. 

There's absolutely no chance he's going to United. Id bet every penny I own on that. He'd be gaining absolutely nothing from it, it's hardly like United are a huge club in waiting anyway, and I highly doubt they could afford him. 

Aberdeen and Rangers are the big dangers. He'd jump at both, both could afford him, and there's logic to both clubs going for him. Fan pressure could rule them out though, Aberdeen fans seem to absolutely despise him so you'd suggest they might ignore him in the midst of trying to reestablish a support core. Rangers fans are expecting Ancelotti.. 

Interesting views of this particular round on manager merry go round, I have a strange gut feeling this time TW will depart somewhere to the three clubs mentioned, Gers if they get knocked back by Del. Dons if Del does move and I still think Arabs if they made move this time he would go, as said above it is gone a bit stale here for all of us, United could potentially give him three to four years of seeing improvement building them up to where Saints are just now. Yogi is favourite with the board but not wanted by the fans, The Snake needs to get it right this time TW would I think be a more satisfying appointment for all.

Fingers crossed he is still here this time next week. 

Doubt if Utd will offer a 3/4 year deal as if manager doesn't produce the results it costs to sack them. More likely a short term deal with option of rolling contract/ longer deal if the target of getting back into premier league is achieved 

It is in United's court now I believe, Steve Brown will definitely take any compo on offer and avoid/being put in a situation of making a decision on TW, TW will also think about moving as he has done as much as he can and the united gig will give him a four year improvement plan to look forward too .

I honestly would not blame him taking the job. I get the feeling that the last close season and the transfer sagas have taken it out of him, and while still passionate about the club I think some of the drive has been taken out of him.

Our preparation for the euro ties kinda got me thinking that, where it was maybe not as in deapth as it could of been.

It is in United's court now I believe, Steve Brown will definitely take any compo on offer and avoid/being put in a situation of making a decision on TW, TW will also think about moving as he has done as much as he can and the united gig will give him a four year improvement plan to look forward too .

Load 'o pish.

Tommy taking over the Arabs?

Pull the other one.:laugh:

No chance. I could have seen the attraction from Utd before, but they need desperately to get up and I wouldn’t say Tommy’s the man for that. In the Premiership, yes, but he’d want time to build them and that’s not something they could give him.

From Wright’s side, why on earth would you drop a league to go to a job you might be sacked from in 6 months? Tommy’s ambition has to be higher than that.

From a Saints perspective, no it’s not clicking at the moment, but the last 3-4 years has proven his abilities. We don’t need the compo and would piss fans off even more.

Total non starter for me.

They couldn't afford him when he had 12 months in his contract and they'd just recouped ~£3m from transfers. No idea why you think they can afford him when he's got an longer, larger contract, and they're making heavy losses. 

He won't go. The best he can achieve with United is a top six finish with an odd cup run, and it'll take about three seasons to build United to that level. A level which is exactly where we are. If he fails then any chance of a big move is utterly ****ed. Only an absolute moron would currently leave us for them. 

If its in the Courier & Sun I would think there is something in it.

Tommy has a dilemma. Does he take it or wait to see if he is offered Dons job when Del goes to I broke.

Look at who we were playing yesterday then ask why it suddenly appeared in the morning papers!!!

Personally I think the Dons are the biggest worry or the NI job if Michael O'Neill gets pulled into the current managerial merrygoround.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/dundee-utd/next-permanent-manager

Tommy now favourite, the odds have tumbled in the last 48 hrs.   I don't think it will happen, but I can see why he would consider this move.  Tommy's stock is eroding rapidly with each game that passes this season.  Like politics, all managerial careers end on failure. (I know SAF...I know) all TW will get from saints now is the sack.  A move to Tannadice, a side now joint top of the championship, with the best squad of players in the division, a club desperate for organisation and leadership, a club 'bigger' than Saints by any measure....why not? It did Neil Lennon no harm whatever to drop  a division and revitalise an ailing Hibs.  He will earn more, have bigger budgets, greater potential.....if he is successful, and I always find TW quietly confident in his own ability. Having secured his place in saint's history, it can only sour from here.....in fact it is souring as we speak.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/dundee-utd/next-permanent-manager

Tommy now favourite, the odds have tumbled in the last 48 hrs.   I don't think it will happen, but I can see why he would consider this move.  Tommy's stock is eroding rapidly with each game that passes this season.  Like politics, all managerial careers end on failure. (I know SAF...I know) all TW will get from saints now is the sack.  A move to Tannadice, a side now joint top of the championship, with the best squad of players in the division, a club desperate for organisation and leadership, a club 'bigger' than Saints by any measure....why not? It did Neil Lennon no harm whatever to drop  a division and revitalise an ailing Hibs.  He will earn more, have bigger budgets, greater potential.....if he is successful, and I always find TW quietly confident in his own ability. Having secured his place in saint's history, it can only sour from here.....in fact it is souring as we speak.

jaws-cast-770x433.jpg

I think he's more likely to go now than 2-3 years ago when Jackie Mac got sacked.  At that time Saints had won the cup and there was a sense of excitement about where he could take us.  We had a great squad still at the top of their game, whereas it might well be he now feels we've plateaued and he wants a fresh challenge.

I would imagine Tommy must be a bit surprised/ disappointed at how few manager jobs he has been offered given how well he's done with us. It might be he realises opportunities are few and far between and you have to grab them when they come along, as it might be a while until the next one.

You have to think Utd will only head in an upward direction with the right man in charge. Maybe Tommy will want to be part of that rise and trying to get Utd into the top 6.

Im not expecting him to go, but I can see the reasons why now seems the right time for him, despite them being in a division lower, compared to last time around.

My thinking is SB may be a few weeks/months away from having to make a decision on TW if we continue on this run.

That would also be a cost to Saints if he decides to remove him. (SB does not like to lose/spend money on any thing remember).

So compensation may not be as much a problem this time as you all think, any approach from United could be met with a speak to the manager answer this time, TW must have some thoughts on the way his future could pan out here so he may want to hear what is on offer then decides to go then compensation can be discussed a bit out of the normal way of doing things but for The Browns it may be they look at it like selling a failing racehorse for a profit before the inevitable decision is made.

Only a opinion on my part and I do not want to see TW sacked but I am also of the feeling it would not really bother me either this time that is all. I also think nothing will happen until this round of managerial movement is over but I still have a gut feeling TW will be on the move somewhere in the next few weeks!      

Guest ScottMann

It's totally naive to think that things are only done the correct way through official channels these days. Tommy's agent's probably known for a while what package he'd get at United and chats will doubtless have gone on. That's it's got to this stage suggests there is something going on.

It's totally naive to think that things are only done the correct way through official channels these days. Tommy's agent's probably known for a while what package he'd get at United and chats will doubtless have gone on. That's it's got to this stage suggests there is something going on.

What stage? The stage where "freelance journalist" Jim Spence tells everyone he knows that TW is Uniteds top target and is definitely joining them, much like he did last time? 

I think you are correct here Scott.  That is not to say it's a certainty. Last time TW used utd interest to lever an improved contract at Saints.  I doubt he will be able to pull that off again.....this time he may not be bluffing.

TW tried to sign Fyvie, Keatings and Scott McDonald in the summer, the able l'll went to United, how frustrating must that be?

The problem of finance remains, he will want a 3/4 year deal, Saints will want compensation, how much room for manoeuvre does ST have?  Not a lot!....but can he and the othe directors at tannadice afford not to make this move?

What stage? The stage where "freelance journalist" Jim Spence tells everyone he knows that TW is Uniteds top target and is definitely joining them, much like he did last time? 

Jim Spence appears to be in the huff with all things United at the moment, he grudgingly admitted he had heard TW was in the frame, but he was also claiming TW had 'bigger fish to fry', quite disparaging of the whole thing.  He may we be correct, Sevco, Nornirlnd, may well sounding him out.

I think you are correct here Scott.  That is not to say it's a certainty. Last time TW used utd interest to lever an improved contract at Saints.  I doubt he will be able to pull that off again.....this time he may not be bluffing.

TW tried to sign Fyvie, Keatings and Scott McDonald in the summer, the able l'll went to United, how frustrating must that be?

The problem of finance remains, he will want a 3/4 year deal, Saints will want compensation, how much room for manoeuvre does ST have?  Not a lot!....but can he and the othe directors at tannadice afford not to make this move?

It is all speculation of course and I am reliably informed that the Stubbs approach was made and "deemed to be derogatory" to him the other contender has indicated he would be prepared to accept the same offer, and yet the TW speculation reappears on the scene, So does ST thinks he can get him this time and at a cost he is interested in( St and SB are very good friends away from football as well and discussions over a pint/Chardonnay will happen I am sure) , my information is not from Jim Spence but through one of the united players agent so a bit removed I confess but closer than Random Guys Pie and Bovril information I think.