Tommy for Rangers

Shibbydoo

Why would Mackay drop down to being an assistant when he's got his side at the top of the league? 

Do I really have to state the obvious 

Are you blind Lets see part time in bottom league earning a pittance compared to probably quadrupling his wage and becoming assistant at his beloved team... MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Edited by byebyedundee
explanation clearer

Just assumed that being a successful manager in his own right would seem like a more sensible long term career choice than becoming an assistant for a few years in the hope he gets the job at some point. 

I think people overstate how he feels about the club too, yes he was our captain and a legend, but we're not the team he grew up supporting and I doubt he sees being an assistant manager at us as some dream job 

Just assumed that being a successful manager in his own right would seem like a more sensible long term career choice than becoming an assistant for a few years in the hope he gets the job at some point. 

I think people overstate how he feels about the club too, yes he was our captain and a legend, but we're not the team he grew up supporting and I doubt he sees being an assistant manager at us as some dream job 

He would be paid a lot more as Saints assistant and he has a family to provide for.  

Just to stick my oar in.

Going by the above underlined statement, I can only presume that you were not at his testimonial dinner. Where during his thank you speech Cuptie said the words "After the many years at the club and success I have enjoyed, it's been an honour to captain such a great club." Then pointing to his current employers, the table of Binos directors. "With no disrespect meant at all to Stirling Albion, St Johnstone is my team and my club"  

So yeah, I'm pretty confident people aren't necessarily overstating how he feels for the club.

Edited by SaintDougie

Just to stick my oar in.

Going by the above underlined statement, I can only presume that you were not at his testimonial dinner. Where during his thank you speech Cuptie said the words "After the many years at the club and success I have enjoyed, it's been an honour to captain such a great club." Then pointing to his current employers, the table of Binos directors. "With no disrespect meant at all to Stirling Albion, St Johnstone is my team and my club"  

So yeah, I'm pretty confident people aren't necessarily overstating how he feels for the club.

What we're you expecting him to say? 

I'm still not convinced he'd give up a blossoming managerial career to be our assistant, at this stage of his life. He's likely not far down many Championship sides wish lists. 

Cup tie would love to get a gig at Saints even as assistant,he’d be cutting his teeth at our level, and he’d be providing for his family to a good standard of living,good to see him among the fans on Saturday, though he just laughed when asked if he was watching his new club

If you can't think for one minute that he wouldn't come to Saints as assistant well .. i think you can tell by the response you may be   disillusional

I'd be amazed if Mackay would turn down a coaching role at Saints. Nothing to do with what he does or doesn't feel for the club - it's a big step up in terms of salary, profile and professionalism and it wouldn't do anything to lessen his chances of getting a Championship management job in the future.

Pretty sure Paul Sheerin made a similar decision when he quit his Arbroath job to join the coaching staff at Aberdeen.

The thing that surprises me is how completely certain everyone seems to be that Callum Davidson would be handed the Saints job if Tommy went. I'm not saying he wouldn't get it, but there would be plenty of candidates.

Guest ScottMann

I'd be amazed if Mackay would turn down a coaching role at Saints. Nothing to do with what he does or doesn't feel for the club - it's a big step up in terms of salary, profile and professionalism and it wouldn't do anything to lessen his chances of getting a Championship management job in the future.

Pretty sure Paul Sheerin made a similar decision when he quit his Arbroath job to join the coaching staff at Aberdeen.

The thing that surprises me is how completely certain everyone seems to be that Callum Davidson would be handed the Saints job if Tommy went. I'm not saying he wouldn't get it, but there would be plenty of candidates.

I think it's because it was stated when he was appointed Assistant Manager that the plan was for Callum to take over as manager when Tommy moved on. 

That's Tommy, who won the League Cup in N Ireland and gave up his managers job to become Saints assistant. What a terrible career move that turned out to be. 

What we're you expecting him to say? 

I'm still not convinced he'd give up a blossoming managerial career to be our assistant, at this stage of his life. He's likely not far down many Championship sides wish lists. 

Seriously? His entire managerial career consists of half a season in League two and he's now on the 'not far down may Championship sides wish lists'. Clubs that, say for a handful, are striving for promotion to the Premiership, are looking at a guy that's had the best part of five months experience as a manager?

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing RG. I quite often agree with a lot of your posts but sometimes you have to learn to stick your hands up and say, aye, fair enough, I stand corrected.

why would you hope our best ever manager gets another job, or do you just mean that if he has to leave you'd rather he went there than the club jobs being mentioned?

I'd wish TW well, should a move to managing his country come about. Would hope he would get the job, or at least the offer in recognition 

apparently at the rangers agm they said they were after a manager who was in a job and knew the scottish game well. everyone just assumes its del but after what came out from the aberdeen camp im starting to get a bit worried

There are a few managers to whom that would apply - maybe they are after Alan Archibald or  Martin Canning for example.

There are a few managers to whom that would apply - maybe they are after Alan Archibald or  Martin Canning for example.

I doubt it somehow but I understand what you're saying, it could be any number of people.

However, I can't help thinking TW would have a higher pedigree than anyone else at the moment, other than maybe McInnes.

apparently at the rangers agm they said they were after a manager who was in a job and knew the scottish game well. everyone just assumes its del but after what came out from the aberdeen camp im starting to get a bit worried

Someone who was there told me today that they said it was a Scottish manager.

He also said it was going round the meeting from senior sources that it was McInnes.

Stories of all kinds emerging and I've no idea if this guy was being truthful or not.

Guest ScottMann

It's undoubtedly McInnes as the media's unofficial tapping up of him hasn't relented one bit despite what's been said out of Pittodrie.Traynor and his puppets would have moved on to the next target if there no chance of getting him.

Someone who was there told me today that they said it was a Scottish manager.

He also said it was going round the meeting from senior sources that it was McInnes.

Stories of all kinds emerging and I've no idea if this guy was being truthful or not.

It's undoubtedly McInnes as the media's unofficial tapping up of him hasn't relented one bit despite what's been said out of Pittodrie.Traynor and his puppets would have moved on to the next target if there no chance of getting him.

Gents. Mr D.C. King is not known as a Glib and Shameless L*** for no reason. Smooth tongued and well versed in getting the bears onside by continually telling them exactly what they want to hear despite the fact that none of his previous promises have come to fruition. (You'd think they would eventually twig)

The fact that a large percentage of them have just voted to halve the value of their shares, and at the same time payback the soft loans provided by various board members, by voting for the long awaited Resolution 11 shows that they have fallen for his nonsense once again.

Many bears don't even see McInnes as being a step forward but as long as they keep releasing 'unquestioned' PR statements through the media it keeps that ****** club in the news and therefore gives them a perceived sense of relevance.

See that club...

Edited by Indicator