St Johnstone v Killmarnock 25/02/2017 Saints Day

garydavidson

It was clear within 5 minutes to all round where I was sitting that the starting formation was wrong, wasn't working and wouldn't work.

It was changed after 72 minutes.

Someone thought it was done with a view to Wednesday. Surely you play what's in front of you, not what's going to be there four days later.

WTF is Tommys problem?

6 defenders on the park in starting XI with 3 out of position. Playing Millar against a strong midfield that Killie have with Paton on the bench? 

We have a settled back 4 changed for nothing. Why is Coulson not just thrown on? A back 4 of Foster, ando, joe and Easton is what it should've been. Scobbie shouldn't have played neither should Miller. Coulson and Paton in there instead. 

Zander needs dropped. 2 howling mistakes, granted he made a couple of good saves but he cost us today. 

We are bottlers. Every chance to close the gap on Hearts we bugger it up. 

We have a team incapable of trying a shot from distance too.

Performance was that minging I didn't even boo at the end. 

Killie deserved the win but made very very easy by us. 

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Couldn't believe we had 6 defenders in the starting XI with Paton sitting on the bench. Gave away 2 soft goals & despite a few good saves Zander needs a break. We hardly had a shot on target.

Ok, so Tommy ****ed up the starting formation, but the worst crime was yet to come. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, could see the players were uncomfortable / confused with the formation and that it just wasn't working. Why the f**k then did Tommy not react and shuffle things around??

He did..... Only about 73mins too ****in late and two nil down. 

A few pints down now and I'm still raging about this.  I'm really beginning to hate this team and some players and in honesty I shouldn't in the scheme of things but I just feel so let down this year.

He did..... Only about 73mins too ****in late and two nil down. 

A few pints down now and I'm still raging about this.  I'm really beginning to hate this team and some players and in honesty I shouldn't in the scheme of things but I just feel so let down this year.

Have a voddy .a bottle of Darren dodka whilst watch the 2014 Scottish cup final .

thats what am intae the boo 

How is this team of very limited footballers still up there this season challenging for third place? It's beyond me and I can't help but think a season is coming soon that will be a season too far and we will struggle to hold on to our top flight status. Today was everything that has already been said by other posters and more. Totally embarrassing

How is this team of very limited footballers still up there this season challenging for third place? It's beyond me and I can't help but think a season is coming soon that will be a season too far and we will struggle to hold on to our top flight status. Today was everything that has already been said by other posters and more. Totally embarrassing

Oh hi .

i agree with ye dude.

glad ye didnae stick yer napper in that oven.

see previous post somewhere else yah big suicidal Kung .

What's the point of Saints going round schools trying to get the kids and their parents to come along if, when they do, they've got to sit through that standard of turgid shite.

"Do you want to go to the football again kids?"

"Nah. Turn the xbox on dad..."

To be honest , the xbox sounds more appealing than a renewed season ticket for me at this point in time.

Folk on here have short memories, and should be careful what they're wishing for. Millar has had more good games than bad this season, arguably being our best central midfielder over the piece, yet is being treated as if hes some imposter living off past glories. We'll struggle to find a replacement for him, and the likes of Paton are a huge downgrade, its sad to see people are reaching the stage of wanting him playing, as if a couple of long range passes outweighs the fact hes utterly immobile and constantly out of position.

Appreciate what we have while we've got it, as you'll miss it when its gone.

Folk on here have short memories, and should be careful what they're wishing for. Millar has had more good games than bad this season, arguably being our best central midfielder over the piece, yet is being treated as if hes some imposter living off past glories. We'll struggle to find a replacement for him, and the likes of Paton are a huge downgrade, its sad to see people are reaching the stage of wanting him playing, as if a couple of long range passes outweighs the fact hes utterly immobile and constantly out of position.

I love your analysis.why don't you apply for the managers job at sevco.i have

Nobody wants Midge out, and we all know he has been key to our success and will be hard to replace.

However, he clearly has struggled with injuries this season, often getting reoccurring incidents

The Thistle goal was scored by his man who he didn't track, their 18 today soon realised that he stepped away from Midge, he wasn't tracking him, and when he had an opportunity in the first half, picking up the ball about 25yards out, when he let the ball run away, he definitely pulled out the challenge

I would wish for Chris to be fit for another 5 seasons, but we sometimes just have to accept, despite past achievements, that players reach a point where they just can't compete at a certain level anymore - often due to the fact that their bodies give in

Sentiment can be a teams downfall

With Wright and Mackay no longer with Saints and Midge at an age where his injuries appear to have taken their toll, the mainstay of a competent Saints team has gone!

Factor in the recurring injuries to Murray Davidson in Saints midfield and I would say the steel that the team had has most definitely gone! Hopefully Tommy has called it correct in bringing in Paton to fill this role.

Whether the defensive players Tommy has brought in to replace Wright and Mackay also prove to be any better, remains to be seen, however our final league position will go a long way to answer that.

This Saints team has built a reputation of being difficult to play against and certainly within the media we are being told how astute Tommy Wright is in getting his team set up and able to pull off some incredible results.

Today was not one of those days and it is alarming how many poor performances they continue to display at home, however if we think Saints are bad what must the fans of the other teams still below us be feeling regarding their season so far!

I'm frustrated tonight as I have been on many occasions with Saints especially when we fail to take a positive step, however with Rangers, Dundee and Hearts to play within the next few weeks I'm confident we can continue to push the teams above us rather than worry about the others below us.       

I agree with RanDOOM. Paton is immobile. For all Killie's pressing I was surprised to see that before the ball came to Paton he had adjusted his body and it was obvious where he was going to hit the very long ball that he did, but no Killie player went near him. It was quite a good ball in the end and his passing is surprisingly good given that you can read him 2-3 seconds before, but he isn't mobile.

Midge isn't picking up as many injuries as last season, but nor is he as mobile as he was. When he receives the ball in a forward position it invariably breaks down and either possession is lost, it's the nearest pass to a player with not much space or he tries what he shouldn't ever - a shot.

Yesterday was abysmal and will win no fans at home. As bad as the players performed yesterday, the glaringly obvious finger of blame has to be hovering right over Tommy's head. I hope he's had/continues to have nightmares until Wednesday about what he did and doesn't repeat such foolishness at Ibrokes.

Don't worry.  Although we witnessed a dreadful performance... What's the odds of winning on Wednesday night at the neglected (falling apart)  The Ibrox... 

My memory says this our 3rd time this season where we could have pressed on top teams and failed miserably when the opportunity was there, as if it is deliberate.

Do you not think we were bullied in midfield yesterday? I agree Paton is immobile however I would argue that yesterday there was pleny of mobility around him in the midfield and we were crying out for a bit of dig in there and, dare I say, someone to stick a boot in. 

Of course Paton is a downgrade on Muzz, however you have to use the resources you have available to you, and in the absence of the budget for a world beating midfielder, and an injured Muzz, Paton would have at least brought some grit and fight to the midfield which was otherwise complete powderpuff.

Don't worry.  Although we witnessed a dreadful performance... What's the odds of winning on Wednesday night at the neglected (falling apart)  The Ibrox... 

My memory says this our 3rd time this season where we could have pressed on top teams and failed miserably when the opportunity was there, as if it is deliberate.

It's not the fact that it's at least our 3rd time this season, it's historically been Saints problem of not taking a step forward when it matters, probably many other teams problem as well. Not addressing the reasons behind this is the frustrating part and although not deliberate, it should be getting addressed by the management team and it's not! 

Even last season we had to come from conceding the first goal to too many teams on too many occasions, giving our strikers too much to do in having to score two or more goals in order win matches!

This season with the exception of Celtic and Aberdeen every other team appears to be inconsistent, but it's my own team's mixed performances that I find frustrating as I'm sure everyone connected with the club does as well.

Like many Saints fans I fear that rather than being inconsistent, the results turn into a run of defeats in which Saints rarely manage to get out of the rut. Let's hope they get a result on Wednesday and yesterdays result will be forgotten in an instant.   

Nobody wants Midge out, and we all know he has been key to our success and will be hard to replace.

However, he clearly has struggled with injuries this season, often getting reoccurring incidents

The Thistle goal was scored by his man who he didn't track, their 18 today soon realised that he stepped away from Midge, he wasn't tracking him, and when he had an opportunity in the first half, picking up the ball about 25yards out, when he let the ball run away, he definitely pulled out the challenge

I would wish for Chris to be fit for another 5 seasons, but we sometimes just have to accept, despite past achievements, that players reach a point where they just can't compete at a certain level anymore - often due to the fact that their bodies give in

Sentiment can be a teams downfall

Good summing up. 

I have been a great Midge fan over the years but he seems to split the support 50/50 but on Saturday he got fought in possession too many times ,looked slow & held back on a couple of tackles.

I think Killie played the type of game we usually played against the bigger teams,closing down & working hard.

Playing a back 3 you need a  holding midfielder with strength & pace ,neither which Midge has.