Cattle trucks - the future for an away support in Aberdeen

sainties sheep

We've never felt well treated as an away support when visiting Pittodrie, other teams supporters may have a different opinion on this but that could change in the future. 

AFC have applied for permission to build a new 20.000 seat stadium 8 miles outside Aberdeen City Centre at Kingsford / Westhill. 

The new AWPR junction will be about 500 meters away. The plan is for away support coaches to be bussed straight off the AWPR onto the A944 and straight into the stadium, there'll be a 1000 capacity bar in the ground, but for home support only. After the game its back onto the bus and sent home. There will be no parking at the stadium for away support cars and the town of Westhill will have a CPZ (controlled parking zone) placed over half of the town, so no parking or expect a ticket. If you get the train normally it's time to dip your hand in your pocket again pay £5.60 for a return bus ticket and jump on a local X17 / 18 bus takes which about 45 mins to an hour to get to Westhill where the bus stop is about a mile walk away from the site. Then you'll have it all to do again, whilst walking amongst the home support. Lord knows how the Police are going to segregate everyone. Oh, buses are being laid on for the home support though and dropping them off at the doors ! So think it's bad now just wait and see if they get this granted how bad it'll get.    Comments and objections (sensible ones please, abusive or material concerns will be deleted) can be made direct to Aberdeen City Council on-line on the link below until the 27th February. Alternatively there is a local to Westhill group who are fighting this application, there link is also below and a tick box objection which can be filled out listing the material concerns with a lot of good local info on it as well.   

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

http://www.nokingsfordstadium.org.uk/

Spread the word, refuse to be treated like this by these plans.

Keep the faith, power to the people !!

So if I'm driving up, what's the plan, what options are there... sounds like an opportunity for me to build a car park nearby and fleece punters £10 to park.  Should apply as permitted development if I can secure the purchase of land.

fiver for saintees though eh mate?

:shock:

So if I'm driving up, what's the plan, what options are there... sounds like an opportunity for me to build a car park nearby and fleece punters £10 to park.  Should apply as permitted development if I can secure the purchase of land.

You try  and find a space at the other end  of the town, if you can and walk. There'll be no parking anywhere near the stadium and afterwards sit  back and relax because the 6000 cars  and buses will all be trying to get along  the same road at the same as well as the normal busy non football traffic 

We've never felt well treated as an away support when visiting Pittodrie, other teams supporters may have a different opinion on this but that could change in the future. 

AFC have applied for permission to build a new 20.000 seat stadium 8 miles outside Aberdeen City Centre at Kingsford / Westhill. 

The new AWPR junction will be about 500 meters away. The plan is for away support coaches to be bussed straight off the AWPR onto the A944 and straight into the stadium, there'll be a 1000 capacity bar in the ground, but for home support only. After the game its back onto the bus and sent home. There will be no parking at the stadium for away support cars and the town of Westhill will have a CPZ (controlled parking zone) placed over half of the town, so no parking or expect a ticket. If you get the train normally it's time to dip your hand in your pocket again pay £5.60 for a return bus ticket and jump on a local X17 / 18 bus takes which about 45 mins to an hour to get to Westhill where the bus stop is about a mile walk away from the site. Then you'll have it all to do again, whilst walking amongst the home support. Lord knows how the Police are going to segregate everyone. Oh, buses are being laid on for the home support though and dropping them off at the doors ! So think it's bad now just wait and see if they get this granted how bad it'll get.    Comments and objections (sensible ones please, abusive or material concerns will be deleted) can be made direct to Aberdeen City Council on-line on the link below until the 27th February. Alternatively there is a local to Westhill group who are fighting this application, there link is also below and a tick box objection which can be filled out listing the material concerns with a lot of good local info on it as well.   

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

http://www.nokingsfordstadium.org.uk/

Spread the word, refuse to be treated like this by these plans.

Keep the faith, power to the people !!

Nope, read a fair bit about Aberdeens new ground from both sides and for me, I cannot see a downside to it to be honest.

From a fans point of view, going to the football has changed so much from 20 years plus ago. Very few people go for a pint before the game and even less rely on public transport. It will remove match day traffic from the centre of Aberdeen. Away fans will find it easier to get to, home support will drive anyway.

The locals are deluded. If it's not a stadium going there, then it will be a retail park or such like and will be less traffic for 3 hours every other Saturday, but a lot of traffic 7 days a week. Understandably no one wants something busy in their back yard in a relatively rural area, but that ship sailed as soon as the new road was approved. The gaps were always going to be filled in.

Aberdeen as a club desperately need this. It's not exactly a massive stadium planned and they'll only get 10-12k support anyway.

As it happens, I'd have argued that Loriston Loch or the the exhibition centre would have been better sites.

Is your box built with yellow Lego bricks Donald Trump style ?Hmmm, delusional, hmmm, it goes against every local and national government policy, but hey, 90% of the local residents, a large number of AFC supporters, policy makers at local and national government must all of course be wrong ! 

No, I don't quite think Aberdeen applying for planning permission is illegal or against policy. Which one?

As far as I can tell, they are applying for planning permission and as part of that objectors can voice their concerns. They've already held public consultations etc. If the proposal is rejected then so be it. If they are asked to modify to take into consideration locals concerns they will do so as they already have.

Of course not everyone will want it, including AFC fans, in the same way not all saints fans will have wanted to move from muirton.

I get that local residents may not want it, but if they think that the land will stay as it is forever more, then yes, they are delusional.

As I say, it's not the best site ever, but that's what they are going with and it sounds like it will happen at some point.

From a saints point of view, they are competition and I don't want them to get stronger, but from a Scottish football and AFC point of view, it will be a good thing, if not for locals.

Wish you well in your fight and if I was a local resident, I'm not sure I'd want it either, but the bigger battle was the road which has led to this and potentially many other developments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...