Run in for Europe

Havana Saint

I've been mewling about how the first task is to make the split, but then Kilmarnock lost and remain nine points behind us, so I sort of ruled them out. 

It means we'd have to finish behind both Partick and Dundee to not make the top half this season.

St Johnstone (37pts) - Dundee (H), Motherwell (A), Hamilton (A), Hearts (H), Inverness (A), Aberdeen (H) 

Really, you'd be hoping to take at least 6-9 points from that lot, the optimist reckons we could more than easily get 10+

Regardless, you look at Dundees fixtures...

Dundee (30pts) - St Johnstone (A), Celtic (H), Aberdeen (H), Ross County (A), Hearts (A), Hamilton (H)

They could get 12 from that lot, considering the form County and Hearts are in, but Celtic and Aberdeen, then away trips to Dingwall and Tynecastle, seems like a horrendous run, especially with Celtic likely to destroy them at the start of that.

I cant see them gaining seven more points than we get, but if they beat us that gap becomes four, and then we'll be nervous.

In terms of Hearts, their fixtures are Hamilton (H), Aberdeen (A), Celtic (H), St Johnstone (A), Dundee (H), Kilmarnock (A)

A real tricky set of fixtures, and they only sit on 38pts.

I wouldn't be overly shocked if we end up 4th by the split, tbh. I reckon its between Dundee and Hearts over who takes the final spot.

I'd also make us current favourites for fourth by the end of the season.

I've been mewling about how the first task is to make the split, but then Kilmarnock lost and remain nine points behind us, so I sort of ruled them out. 

It means we'd have to finish behind both Partick and Dundee to not make the top half this season.

St Johnstone (37pts) - Dundee (H), Motherwell (A), Hamilton (A), Hearts (H), Inverness (A), Aberdeen (H) 

Really, you'd be hoping to take at least 6-9 points from that lot, the optimist reckons we could more than easily get 10+

Regardless, you look at Dundees fixtures...

Dundee (30pts) - St Johnstone (A), Celtic (H), Aberdeen (H), Ross County (A), Hearts (A), Hamilton (H)

They could get 12 from that lot, considering the form County and Hearts are in, but Celtic and Aberdeen, then away trips to Dingwall and Tynecastle, seems like a horrendous run, especially with Celtic likely to destroy them at the start of that.

I cant see them gaining seven more points than we get, but if they beat us that gap becomes four, and then we'll be nervous.

In terms of Hearts, their fixtures are Hamilton (H), Aberdeen (A), Celtic (H), St Johnstone (A), Dundee (H), Kilmarnock (A)

A real tricky set of fixtures, and they only sit on 38pts.

I wouldn't be overly shocked if we end up 4th by the split, tbh. I reckon its between Dundee and Hearts over who takes the final spot.

I'd also make us current favourites for fourth by the end of the season.

So your top 6 are: Celtic Aberdeen Sevco Saints Patick and either Dundee or Hearts?

You certainly perked up a bit since last Wednesday where you were a complete doom and gloom merchant.

We won't make the top 6, and we don't deserve to given our recent form.

7 points ahead with 6 games left, of course we're making the top 6. We'll pick up several wins between now and the split and that'll be enough. So we're not in great form, happens every season. The knicker wetters come out in force and we inevitably start to produce results, simple as that. 

7 points ahead with 6 games left, of course we're making the top 6. We'll pick up several wins between now and the split and that'll be enough. So we're not in great form, happens every season. The knicker wetters come out in force and we inevitably start to produce results, simple as that. 

I agree with what you've said Widge but it doesn't make it any less frustrating that we crawled over the line last season due to a terrible run and bad home results against teams below us. What is also extremely frustrating is that but for our two seasons of poor home form we could have been as high as second, and not gone out of the cup at home to Killie and Thistle. If this team had been able to find a degree of consistency, their potential would have been realised with even greater success and I wouldn't have been surprised in the least.

Forget all that overachieving media type talk, we set our own high standards. No idea how long we can keep it going.

I find it worrying that the manager and players continue to come out with the 'overachieving' thing so much in interviews.  As fans we want them to be consistently good - and we have seen on many occasions over the last 4 seasons that they can play some good football and compete with anyone - but I really get the feeling now from the players and management that they don't think that is their level.  

I always felt they group of players felt they could achieve things, and that seems to me to have gone completely in the last couple of months.

I'm not being a bed wetter or a panic merchant, I genuinely think our days of 'overachieving' are over, because of an acceptance that we have been 'overachieving'.

I find it worrying that the manager and players continue to come out with the 'overachieving' thing so much in interviews.  As fans we want them to be consistently good - and we have seen on many occasions over the last 4 seasons that they can play some good football and compete with anyone - but I really get the feeling now from the players and management that they don't think that is their level.  

I always felt they group of players felt they could achieve things, and that seems to me to have gone completely in the last couple of months.

I'm not being a bed wetter or a panic merchant, I genuinely think our days of 'overachieving' are over, because of an acceptance that we have been 'overachieving'.

This default fall back to 'we're overachieving' has annoyed me for some time. It's like that statement just excuses anybody from any blame for poor performances, and is used by the same supporters that come out with the term 'knicker wetters'

Let's be honest, with the exception of Celtic, there is no reason we can't be competing with the other clubs in this country- certainly no reason we shouldn't be considering top 6 as a realistic target at least every season, with who knows what potential if we get game plans and performances right against 'lesser' opposition at home

At the start of the season our stated target is 10th or above & there is nothing wrong with that but when we are in a good position we should push on for top 4.

I don't know what is wrong with this team. Looks like THEY think they have been overachieving.

I don't think they actually believe it. You often get wee snippets in TWs interviews about how he and the squad have set their own expectations and level now, and only a few weeks back he talked about how they want to try and move up the league. Its as if they decide to publicly talk about over achieving, but privately believe this is the level we're at now.

I don't think they actually believe it. You often get wee snippets in TWs interviews about how he and the squad have set their own expectations and level now, and only a few weeks back he talked about how they want to try and move up the league. Its as if they decide to publicly talk about over achieving, but privately believe this is the level we're at now.

Like Ed says above though, it's a damn handy little comment to hide behind after a few bad performances.  I just feel like it is an excuse not to give a good boot up the arse, either by management or by the players themselves, to turn it around.

Naw - You obviously missed the sarcasm, Saints would not dare stick their head above the parapet - "we know our plaice". Anyway the SFA have already ignored enough rules to get them to where they are now.

Oh aye and, when I say the SFA I mean the clubs. The clubs are the SFA.

The reason TRFC are where they are today is because that's where the clubs (boards not the fans) wanted them.

Naw - You obviously missed the sarcasm, Saints would not dare stick their head above the parapet - "we know our plaice". Anyway the SFA have already ignored enough rules to get them to where they are now.

Is this your plaice then?

pl.jpg

Edited by Oldermoresensiblepack