Run in for Europe

Havana Saint

Bit of a blow Rangers winning today, the gap to 3rd now sits at six points.

Table looks like..

3. Rangers - 55pts

4. St Johnstone - 49pts

5. Hearts - 44pts

6. Partick - 41pts

Predictions for the post split games seem to be..

Rangers - Home Games: Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts. Away: Partick, St Johnstone

St Johnstone - Home: Hearts, Rangers, Partick. Away: Aberdeen, Celtic

Hearts - Home: Aberdeen, Partick. Away: Celtic, Rangers, St Johnstone

Partick - Home: Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers. Away: Hearts, St Johnstone

Obviously theres still another game to go, but heres my thoughts anyway...

We've maybe been fortunate that the three weakest teams are the ones we play at home, as it gives us the greatest chance of winning them. Problem is I can easily see Rangers beating Aberdeen and Hearts at Ibrox, which would put them on 61 points, and would mean we'd have to win every game, with them not winning any, for us to get third. 

Hearts wont win any of their away matches, and their two home games are tough aswell. Partick are a bit unknown, but the three home games for them are more than loseable. 

I reckon we'll be comfortably sitting in fourth with no real chance of moving up or down.

Edited by RandomGuy

Bit of a blow Rangers winning today, the gap to 3rd now sits at six points.

Table looks like..

3. Rangers - 55pts

4. St Johnstone - 49pts

5. Hearts - 44pts

6. Partick - 41pts

Predictions for the post split games seem to be..

Rangers - Home Games: Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts. Away: Partick, St Johnstone

St Johnstone - Home: Hearts, Rangers, Partick. Away: Aberdeen, Celtic

Hearts - Home: Aberdeen, Partick. Away: Celtic, Rangers, St Johnstone

Partick - Home: Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers. Away: Hearts, St Johnstone

Obviously theres still another game to go, but heres my thoughts anyway...

We've maybe been fortunate that the three weakest teams are the ones we play at home, as it gives us the greatest chance of winning them. Problem is I can easily see Rangers beating Aberdeen and Hearts at Ibrox, which would put them on 61 points, and would mean we'd have to win every game, with them not winning any, for us to get third. 

Hearts wont win any of their away matches, and their two home games are tough aswell. Partick are a bit unknown, but the three home games for them are more than loseable. 

I reckon we'll be comfortably sitting in fourth with no real chance of moving up or down.

Hope your right, sevcohuns and thistle only been to McD once so they should be in Perth.

Dont know how they pick the 3rd oneHearts not won in Perth for years so that would be braw.

Would like to see all 3 points from Del Boy ,that would set us up nicely.

6 games to go sitting 4th, 5 PTs ahead of 5th, 4 home games to come and a 75/25 chance of Europe, bite your hand off dreaming at the start of the season.

In a way, Partick are the side I'd be most worried about. We still often struggle against teams we're "expected" to beat, and their record against us is decent. Their current form is pretty strong too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they emerge as a bigger challenger for 4th spot than Hearts.

Sevco's form could probably go either way, but I think yesterday's result will have given them a massive boost and probably gives them enough of a cushion that they can now afford to have a couple of dodgy results and still cling on to 3rd. Over-taking them at the end of the season would probably be about the sweetest thing imaginable though - any chance of us having to play them on the last day?

Looking at the bottom half of the table, it really feels like a lot of teams have gone backwards. Over the last few years Dundee, Ross County, Motherwell and Caley have been the sides challenging us for top 6 - this year none of them are anywhere near us. 17 points between us and Ross County. 17!! That's a massive gap. We kept hearing that some of these teams were strengthening for this season and that getting Top 6 for Saints would be harder than ever, but it hasn't gone that way at all. I don't think we should underestimate just how impressive Saints' results have been this season, despite us once again doing very little to shout about in the transfer market.

It'll be Hearts, any other way mucks up the 19/19 split. I'm sure we visited Tynecastle three times last season, and they've also requested games away from Tynecastle due to the new stand theyre building.

That would make sense Random but SPFL don't work that way.

Hopefully Saints are putting their view forward on a fair outcome.

Guest ScottMann

Lots of talk about Rangers not meeting the criteria for getting into European competitions.

I don't want to derail the thread but if that's true then surely that's an admission they are not the same club.

Perhaps I am taking too simplistic a view here but to my way of thinking they are either a new club or an old club

An old club gets to keep the history BUT is responsible for all debts........or.........

a new club has no history and also no route into European competition

either way they must decide.

Haha hows that? 

In terms of probability 3/4 teams winning gets us into Europe - thats 75% im pretty sure.

Because, would you say that both Celtic and Hibs have a 25% chance of winning it?

Simple maths says yes, but build in probability based on ability, strength etc etc, then the answer is 'no'

By your reasoning, the bookmakers would have the same odds for all four teams winning

I don't see why they won't be eligible? They've got enough financial records to be eligible, and their losses aren't so severe they'll fail FFP. 

Again, it's just the same rumours that constantly surface. 

Because they haven't produced audited accounts and they are failing FFP rules.

Funny you quote rumours as fact but if you don't start them they are duff:roll:

Friday April 28, 2017

Bottom six
Ross County v Inverness CT - Live on BT Sport, 7.45pm

Saturday April 29, 2017

Top six
Aberdeen v St Johnstone
Hearts v Partick Thistle
Rangers v Celtic - Live on Sky Sports, 12 noon

Bottom six
Hamilton Accies v Kilmarnock
Motherwell v Dundee

Saturday May 6, 2017

Top six
Celtic v St Johnstone

Bottom six
Inverness CT v Hamilton Accies - Live on Sky Sports, 12.15pm
Kilmarnock v Dundee
Motherwell v Ross County

Sunday May 7, 2017

Top six
Hearts v Aberdeen
Partick Thistle v Rangers - Live on BT Sport, 12.15pm

Friday May 12, 2017

Top six
Aberdeen v Celtic - Live on BT Sport, 7.45pm

Saturday May 13, 2017

Top six
Rangers v Hearts - Live on Sky Sports, 12.15pm
St Johnstone v Partick Thistle

Bottom six
Dundee v Ross County
Hamilton Accies v Motherwell
Kilmarnock v Inverness CT

Tuesday May 16, 2017

Bottom six
Dundee v Inverness CT - 7.45pm
Motherwell v Kilmarnock - 7.45pm
Ross County v Hamilton Accies - 7.45pm

Wednesday May 17, 2017

Top six
Rangers v Aberdeen - 7.45pm
St Johnstone v Hearts - 7.45pm

Thursday May 18, 2017

Top six
Partick Thistle v Celtic - Live on Sky Sports, 7.45pm

Saturday May 20, 2017

Bottom six
Hamilton Accies v Dundee
Inverness CT v Motherwell
Kilmarnock v Ross County

Sunday May 21, 2017

Top six
Celtic v Hearts - Live on Sky Sports, 12.30pm
Partick Thistle v Aberdeen - 12.30pm
St Johnstone v Rangers - 12.30pm

there's always a criticism of the post split fixtures.  FFS we've got 3 home ties, none of them are on TV, and we've got Rangers at home on the last day with the potential to pip them for 3rd place.  We've got Aberdeen immediately after their cup semi-final v Hibs, and Partick at home, when we've constantly struggled to beat them away.

Cup half full for a change?