We Are Perth - Young Player Of The Year - 2016/17

Radford 72

We Are Perth - Young Player Of The Year - 2016/17  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is the vote for the We Are Perth Young Player of the Year 2016/17 award, which will be presented at the awards night next month. I’ve been asked to start this thread by Ghostie and the poll will be open until 9:00pm on Sunday 30 April and as with the last six seasons, the award will go to a player who was eligible to fill what was formerly one of the required U21 spots on the bench this season, i.e. born in 1995 or later.

Unfortunately not a stellar choice this season but the following players are up for consideration:

Craig Thomson (Midfielder) - After being farmed out to Stranraer for the first half of the season (3 goals in 17 league starts), the winger returned to McDiarmid in January and has made a number of positive substitute appearances.

Liam Gordon (Defender) - An impressive performance at Pittodrie has been the centre back's only appearance for Saints this season but he has spent the second half of the season on loan at Peterhead and is battling to help them retain their League One status.

Aaron Comrie (Defender) - Made his Saints debut at Hamilton in September before joining Peterhead on January. He has nailed down a first team shirt at Balmoor, with boss Jim McInally comparing him to Dundee's promising young full back Cammy Kerr.

Clive Smith (Defender) - A beneficiary of Richard Foster's indiscipline, Smith showed maturity beyond his years in slotting in for wins over Hearts and Inverness. Will he get another chance this season? He certainly wouldn't let the side down if required.

Greg Hurst (Striker) - Although he hasn't had to his two Saints appearances from last season, Hurst has led the line well for the U20s as well as adding to his first team experience with Berwick Rangers, where he scored 4 goals in 9 starts.

Jason Kerr (Defender) - Winner of the Peter Steinle Trophy for best player from the U20 squad last season, Kerr returned to East Fife this term to test himself in League One and has impressed as the Fifers chase promotion. He's also proved himself a real goal threat with 7 goals to his name.

Mark Hurst (Goalkeeper) - The Scotland U21 squad stopper has also spent the season at East Fife, recording 7 clean sheets as he looks to put himself in the frame for the number two shirt at Saints next season.

Connor McLaren (Midfielder) - Constantly impressive for the U20s, the winger has followed up last season's loan at Elgin by linking up with Dave Mackay's Stirling Albion, where he has helped lift them away from the foot of the table.

He hasn't played for Saints yet but my vote goes to Jason Kerr, who of the younger players has had the best season in my opinion. A key player for East Fife and still turning out regularly for our U20s as well.

The trophy last season went to a player from another club but at least he played a lot of football for us. I think it'd be a shame if our own young players were overlooked again but this time for a guy that might play just three games.

Are we really going to give our award to a player who most likely will be away come the end of the season, as much as i applaud young Clive for the way he has come into the team, what message does that send out to our young players.

The only winner can be Thompson we need to boost his confidence and what a better way to do it.and make him feel appreciated.

Are we really going to give our award to a player who most likely will be away come the end of the season, as much as i applaud young Clive for the way he has come into the team, what message does that send out to our young players.

The only winner can be Thompson we need to boost his confidence and what a better way to do it.and make him feel appreciated.

If Jason Kerr wins any awards at East Fife should he give them back?

This award, or my take on it, is for a young player who has done well for Saints. There are not many young guys that have played for us this season and Thomson has again received mixed reviews. An award should be given out on merit. 

While annoying that none of our "own" players has stepped up for whatever reason Clive has contributed the most to the first team particularly at what could have been an awkward period for the team and club.  Therefore so somewhat sadly I had to give Clive my vote.

Rather than an an award for someone who plays about 3 games for the first team and isn't even our player,  I reckon the best idea would be to award it to the year long Unbeaten u16/17 team.

I think you have a point there. The last few seasons there haven't been many youngsters playing for Saints as they are generally on loan. Might need to start nominating youngsters still playing for our youth set up.

I really don't think it's fair to vote for someone who's played two and a half games and only joined us a matter of weeks ago. Having said that, it does seem like he's going to be a class act. Very mature, the way he handled that Hamilton match. If only his colleagues had shown similar maturity...

Went for Jason Kerr. Been one of the outstanding players for East Fife this season for a newly promoted team to once again be battling for playoff promotion. Can only help with his confidence when put into the saints line-up in the future

Last chance to have your say on this. Lowest number of votes recorded in the seven seasons this has been running, with just 33 at the moment. Have had nearer 200 in some of the past seasons.

Previous Winners

• 2016 - Darnell Fisher
  • 2015 - Chris Kane
  • 2014 - Stevie May
  • 2013 - Mehdi Abeid
  • 2012 - Stevie May
  • 2011 - Stevie May