James St. Snooker Hall

saint-johns-toun

when did perth's darkest, dingiest, grubbiest, snooker hall actually close its doors? always wondered if the premises were ever emptied>? Always remember being upstairs, potting a ball and hearing the THUD as it went thru a hole in the pocket onto the ground haha!

Did you only ever pot A ball?:wink:

Lorne sausage roll while playing snooker...  Could hardly breathe from the smokers puffing away.  Regular as a nipper. Spent a fortune on table time and never did get any better at the game.   Dabbled with the Filling Station tables at a higher prices but always resorted back to the filled rolls and a dose of cancerous smoke...

Who was the lad that was fantastic at snooker when we were young ?Johnny somebody from hunters . Went to St. John's RC and then St Columbas. Last time I saw him he was attending The hospital up kinoull hill. Aright tear away when he was young but a nice lad ?????

Johnnie McQuade....brilliant player but it's fair to say that he lost his way slightly.

Scott Dunbar was probably the best player I played against in there...Andy Fordyce another. Steven Shek was also pretty good.

when did perth's darkest, dingiest, grubbiest, snooker hall actually close its doors? always wondered if the premises were ever emptied>? Always remember being upstairs, potting a ball and hearing the THUD as it went thru a hole in the pocket onto the ground haha!

This fair dates me.  I misspent my youth in Alec's at the foot of Kinnoull St.  This snooker hall must have opened after I left Perth in the mid 1960's.  Was it in the pend on the left heading towards the South Inch from Charterhouse Lane?

Was the hall in Kinnoull St. (entry from Carpenters St) a billiard hall primarily?

No I would say snooker primarily although billiards did feature, probably 70/30 in favour of snooker.  There were 8 (possibly 10, old memory not what it was) tables graded from one or two kept covered for the "elite", down to one with more holes than the North Inch putting green.  Alec and his well built lady wife stood no nonsense which makes me wonder if they moved to James Street.  Alec did say he was coining it in after the Paul Newman film "The Hustler" boosted business although he did not have any pool tables.

This fair dates me.  I misspent my youth in Alec's at the foot of Kinnoull St.  This snooker hall must have opened after I left Perth in the mid 1960's.  Was it in the pend on the left heading towards the South Inch from Charterhouse Lane?

The right hand side as you walk down James St from Charterhouse Lane.

• 1 month later...

James St was fantastic.  used to play in the Perth League back in the day.  The filled rolls were excellent.  Woman who ran it (cant for the life of me remember her name) took no shit though LAUGH OUT LOUD

Think her name was Fran or Francis, but we used to call her Val seeing as she seemed like she was on valium a lot of the time:mrgreen:

• 2 years later...