Aberdeen vs Saint Johnstone Sat. 29th April

HOODLUM65

Ā 

Obviously a great result. Hopefully that gives Thomson the confidence to kick on in his career.

Good to see him get a goal,cause the pass backs & make the goalie make 2 saves.More than the rest of the 2 teams put together.

There are a couple of P&B posters come on here & slag him of as not going to make it on the streanth of a few sub appearances.

I think he is fast ,can go past his man & most importantly in modern football,tracks back & protects his full backs. Crosses are shite but so are a few top players.

Ā 

Ā 

Hope we can come out fighting for this one. No disrespect to Danny but I would park him up for the last few games he is done in Perth and I would rather have young Thomson get Ā shirt than someone who will draw the ire of fans especially those die hards who are home and away fans.

This is a draw all day long on my coupon.

both scored..... mmmmm... saint lottery numbers???

Brilliant result today, Midge wasn't up to scratch and neither was Spoony, but glad Thomson finally got a goal. Love Pates' passion at the end also. Good support up in Aberdeen also, if only more folk had made the trip up and it would've been scenes like 2 year ago when Kano sent us to Europe.

Let's see what Tommy thinks of this one...

RP91icg.png

Ā 

I've been bumming up Craig Thomson for ages, much to the amusement of most of my friends.

I'm just gutted I wasn't there to see his first goal for the first team.

Ā 

Great result, what a team!!!

You need to be careful who's Ā bum.......

No, seriously he has a part to play at Saints and showed a spark when he came on.

Well done to him and Danny.Ā 

There have been games between the sides over recent seasons that have been panned but unfairly in my eyes. Yesterday really was brutal for long spells though and that was from both teams. A period in the second half was particularly poor and I did think the game had 0-0 written all over it before, who would have guessed, Craig Thomson made a bit of a difference for Saints.

My first instinct was back-pass from Jack in the lead-up to the opener and I'm surprised there is much debate from Dons fans over it. He gets between Thomson and the ball and touches it back to Joe Lewis. I'm a big fan of the Aberdeen goalkeeper but his own positioning looked suspect and obviously the wall was a shambles as I said I couldn't see Swanson scoring from there. I'd barely finished the sentence when the net rustled.

The second was a classic counter-attack, Paton shows more desire to win the cleared ball, getting absolutely wiped out in the process, then Swanson picks the right pass to Thomson, who is bursting a gut to get there, takes a good touch and finishes really well. Not sure we managed anything else on target but then Alan Mannus was hardly leaping around his goal either. Kenny McLean had one glorious chance he put wide and came close with a header but most of the other stuff was from long range and sailed high, wide or both in the case of Ash Taylor.

The extra satisfaction from the victory is knowing how upset some Aberdeen supporters will be because Saints had the temerity to execute a game plan that Tommy Wright best felt would secure a return. A fortnight ago, Aberdeen looked very good for 30 minutes in Perth but Saints didn't get close to them and didn't make tackles. Unfortunately for those Dons supporters, Saints' role isn't to entertain them and the approach was much better yesterday. Aberdeen weren't quite as unstructured as in the game before Xmas but when I saw the starting team was packed with an excessive (IMO) number of attacking players, I did feel the game might follow a similar pattern. I can't grasp the logic either of playing so many players out of their most natural position.

Yesterday is why Saints are successful, Tommy Wright takes every game on its merits. He never babbles on about philosophy or playing football the right way. Actually, he does mention the latter but the right way in his eyes is doing what is required to win matches. He doesn't get it right every time but he's never afraid to change it and I imagine he takes as much satisfaction as our fans from the reaction of opposition supporters to performances like yesterday. His record in post-split games is staggering. Only 2 defeats in 16 games against the best opposition in the league and one of those was when he rested players the week before the Scottish Cup final.

If we can come out of next weekend with the same advantage over Hearts and Thistle (I'm still very much of the mind that I want Rangers to beat the Jags) then Europe will be tantalisingly close again.

Ā 

There have been games between the sides over recent seasons that have been panned but unfairly in my eyes. Yesterday really was brutal for long spells though and that was from both teams. A period in the second half was particularly poor and I did think the game had 0-0 written all over it before, who would have guessed, Craig Thomson made a bit of a difference for Saints.

My first instinct was back-pass from Jack in the lead-up to the opener and I'm surprised there is much debate from Dons fans over it. He gets between Thomson and the ball and touches it back to Joe Lewis. I'm a big fan of the Aberdeen goalkeeper but his own positioning looked suspect and obviously the wall was a shambles as I said I couldn't see Swanson scoring from there. I'd barely finished the sentence when the net rustled.

The second was a classic counter-attack, Paton shows more desire to win the cleared ball, getting absolutely wiped out in the process, then Swanson picks the right pass to Thomson, who is bursting a gut to get there, takes a good touch and finishes really well. Not sure we managed anything else on target but then Alan Mannus was hardly leaping around his goal either. Kenny McLean had one glorious chance he put wide and came close with a header but most of the other stuff was from long range and sailed high, wide or both in the case of Ash Taylor.

The extra satisfaction from the victory is knowing how upset some Aberdeen supporters will be because Saints had the temerity to execute a game plan that Tommy Wright best felt would secure a return. A fortnight ago, Aberdeen looked very good for 30 minutes in Perth but Saints didn't get close to them and didn't make tackles. Unfortunately for those Dons supporters, Saints' role isn't to entertain them and the approach was much better yesterday. Aberdeen weren't quite as unstructured as in the game before Xmas but when I saw the starting team was packed with an excessive (IMO) number of attacking players, I did feel the game might follow a similar pattern. I can't grasp the logic either of playing so many players out of their most natural position.

Yesterday is why Saints are successful, Tommy Wright takes every game on its merits. He never babbles on about philosophy or playing football the right way. Actually, he does mention the latter but the right way in his eyes is doing what is required to win matches. He doesn't get it right every time but he's never afraid to change it and I imagine he takes as much satisfaction as our fans from the reaction of opposition supporters to performances like yesterday. His record in post-split games is staggering. Only 2 defeats in 16 games against the best opposition in the league and one of those was when he rested players the week before the Scottish Cup final.

If we can come out of next weekend with the same advantage over Hearts and Thistle (I'm still very much of the mind that I want Rangers to beat the Jags) then Europe will be tantalisingly close again.

I agree with this post,Ā apart from wanting Rangers to beat Partick. We're 10 points ahead of the latter with 12 points to play for. I don't think that they presentĀ any real danger forĀ us.Ā 

Jayden Stockley gave Liam Craig a bloody mouth/nose & escaped with just a booking...

Swanson definitely our flare player in our workmanlike team... sad to see him go..Ā 

At times the game was not pretty,Ā but with winds that would cut you in half coming in off the North Sea it's no surprise! Even if we don't win another match we have much to be proud of!Ā 

How I love my diddy team

0-2..

Yet, the media wax lyrical about the incredible job Derek McInnes has done to get them to second place(on his massive budget).

Jonny Hayes is a Ā£1million player attracting interest from Premiership teams.

Kenny McLean and Ryan Jack are not too far behind, the latter being touted as hot property.

Mark Reynolds and Graeme ShinnieĀ are apparentlyĀ on the periphery ofĀ the Scotland squad.

Niall McGinn is going on to bigger and better things down south....

Ā 

Ā 

with all all that in mind:

Aberdeen have only been able to beat saints 3 times in the last 14 attempts at Pittodrie.....

you have got to love our little club.