Project Brave?

sasha

The idea of reducing the number of players that are being signed up by pro youth clubs is a good one and this will hopefully mean that Clubs like Dumbarton and East Stirling etc should go down the boys club route instead.

I am old enough to remember the days pre pro youth when the best players played with their boys clubs on the SUnday and then trained with the pro clubs at various nights during the week. Having the good players in a team brought the other players along and meant that the general standard was high.

I remember taking a group to Holland wih Stirlingshire league in 1994 and out of these two squads there were masses of them that turned pro including the Caldwell brothers, Paul McHale, Darren Hill and the big lad Malcolm to name but a few.

The end of pro youth for a lot of clubs should not be the end of the teams but the opening of a new opportunity to run teams in the SYFA set up.

TBF I agree with Mainstand and this could be the start again of S forms and also part time contracts. 

I am just disappointed for the number of kids who have put their hearts and souls into their Academy football. Not everyone sees what goes on behind the club trackie. The years of seeing their mates in BC winning medals and trophies, the endless miles on the road to training and games, the rejection and the fall outs at home.

And what about the parents being sold the dream? The sacrifices in money, time at work and the early/late days. All because they want to give their kids that chance of being the 0.1% that make a living out of football.

The SFA sold the dream of CAS and 15 years on shattering it for many.

Edited by sasha

Tranmere I agree I think the idea that club have to have 6 full time staff is crazy. Also the fact that the staff have to be in place something like a year before it starts is madness.

They have to also limit the number of players in these club, I spoke to a head of youth 2 years ago who had a concern that players were not getting a game at the old firm cause they had so many players, players that should have been with his club whilst players he had should have been playing for the smaller clubs and in turn players they had should be with boys clubs.

Far too many clubs are selling kids a story and building up hopes only to knock them back in a few years and in many cases resulting in good players being lost to football, players that would be good amateur or semi pro.

The talk of dual age groups, that would have reduced the number of boys retained by a club, seems to have died a death.

In fact, an extra age group is being introduced. There will be u-17 and u-18 age groups. This is meant to stop the all or nothing (pro-contract or release) cull at 17 (when boys might be sitting exams etc). Looks to me like it only delays it a year