Friendlies

Cagey

Very impressed with all today.

Zander was class. Spoony was sensational, hopefully he carries the confidence and form into the league. 

Based on the games so far I would say that Scougall is going to be our player of the year.

Glad to see that Keith Watson got some game time, hopefully he is getting back to fitness and will get back into first team contention.

The trialist was brilliant. Hopefully Tommy will get him signed.

Probably showing the benefits now of the early start and the fact that that was our 7th or so game of the season. 

Sunderland will probably be a couple of weeks behind us. Saw them training at the Oriam this week and certainly getting put through it. That takes nothing away from a good victory. 

Edited by mainstand

Few of those Sunderland players were carrying some weight. Appreciate its pre season but a few of those lads looked like they were carrying a few takeaways around with them.

What is very evident is Saints are starting to look match sharp whereas Sunderland looked like we did two weeks ago. Our passing was sharp and accurate and we often moved it around in neat triangles. 

Spoony was terrific but he was up against one of the worst defenders I've ever set eyes on. Great seeing him in that form. He was clearly enjoying himself and the third goal was wonderful to watch.  Also thought Millar and Muzz were excellent in the middle.

As for the Trialist. Looked quick, tracked back really well and passed the ball accurately. He robbed their slow defenders a few times too and looked dangerous. The most pleasing thing was he looked a team player and had a bit of mobility. Saying all that, im sure there's been 15 minute spells in games where even I've looked good but he certainly is worth a second look.

Overall enjoyable game for a friendly.

Edited by Broon

Who played left-mid? 

Scougall. Was a four man midfield with Scougs left and Spoony right. Trialist came on and played up front beside Macca with young O'Reilly playing right wing. O'Reilly and Habran switched at points of the match. 

Both looked comfortable on the wing and up front. O'Reilly maybe not physically up to it yet but Sunderland were absolute monsters stature wise. Muzz was smaller than most of their team. 

Few of those Sunderland players were carrying some weight. Appreciate its pre season but a few of those lads looked like they were carrying a few takeaways around with them.

What is very evident is Saints are starting to look match sharp whereas Sunderland looked like we did two weeks ago. Our passing was sharp and accurate and we often moved it around in neat triangles. 

Spoony was terrific but he was up against one of the worst defenders I've ever set eyes on. Great seeing him in that form. He was clearly enjoying himself and the third goal was wonderful to watch.  Also thought Millar and Muzz were excellent in the middle.

As for the Trialist. Looked quick, tracked back really well and passed the ball accurately. He robbed their slow defenders a few times too and looked dangerous. The most pleasing thing was he looked a team player and had a bit of mobility. Saying all that, im sure there's been 15 minute spells in games where even I've looked good but he certainly is worth a second look.

Overall enjoyable game for a friendly.

Agree that their left back (made Spoony look like Ronaldo) was p*ss poor.

Hope Zander's injury is minor, however Mark Hurst was never troubled in the second 45.

Trialist looked as fast as shit of a shovel. So will need to judge over a longer period, but did his cameo role no harm whatsoever. 

The thing is Random there were guys in that team who have commended £12m transfer fees, I was actually disappointed in their display today (Sunderland)! I could honestly say they could go down(Relegated) in the championship this year if that was their lot on display today! Sorry Aiden McGeady is to come in, would you put your faith Aiden helping you stay up?

Yes agree they look poor, but I think a lot of the time people underestimate how much the difference a few weeks training, and especially playing a few competitive matches can make.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's the same as us v Trakai. If we played them today we would have comfortably beaten them. 

And i would imagine if we played Sunderland in a month's time they would be a completely different prospect.

Good result. Sander on the ground getting treatment for at least 10 mins. Didn't look good but hopefully no long term damage & ready for start of season.

As has been said if Spoony could play like that every week ,he would not be with us.

Thought Gilchrist had a good game.

Left back had a poor first 10 mins & gave away a pen but came on to a decent game so may bre decent cover for Easton.

No room on bench for Mannus & Paton who may have been given time off seeing as they played for Ireland.

Also no Comrie,Kerr,Craig,Alston & the injured East on & Craig. Do we have any places for new signings without getting rid of a few ?.

Trialist looked OK but not sure what he could do over 90 mins.

A bit dissapointed with Scougall as too easily pushed off the ball.

Midge ran the game.

Can't see Sunderland getting back in premiership. The only decent player in their team was the number 7.

Missed out Kane & Thomson .Also should have been Ando & not Craig as injured.

Was also surprised we had Nick Walsh refereeing a friendly when there were lots of important games today.

That is where he plays best imo. In the middle seems to lose confidence more 

often.

I thought for the first time playing wide right,he stayed there the whole game rather than drifting inside.

Missed out Kane & Thomson .Also should have been Ando & not Craig as injured.

Was also surprised we had Nick Walsh refereeing a friendly when there were lots of important games today.

I thought for the first time playing wide right,he stayed there the whole game rather than drifting inside.

Re spoony playing wide right today. Which it seemed he was indeed our right winger. I wasn't focusing to much on it but thought our shape was quite odd today. Spoony seemed wide right but Scougall was wide left but spend like no time on the wing. He was drifting inside and looking to link play. Its not a complaint really just an observation.