FK Trakai (H) - Europa League Round 1 - 29/06/17

Abernethy Saint

I thought Gilchrist got pulled about positionally a lot as well. He didn't look awful by any means, and hopefully he kicks on from there.

I wouldn't fault him in the slightest though as he was dropped into his debut in a huge game with a defence he's never played with before. With two full backs who had really poor games by their own high standards.

Why is a 22 year old making his debut in such a pressure position in such a big game? The first time him and Joe played together competitively as a pair.  It can take months to gel a back 4 yet we throw him in like that! I realise it was due to injury, but surely having 3 first team squad players who are your covering centre backs, at 20, 21 and 22 years old,  with only 2 previous Saints appearances between them, is far from ideal.

Ive calmed down a bit from Thursday and watched the highlights, but I'm getting drawn to the fact that although they were technically better, we had the best chances of the game and definitely had enough chances to at least draw; maybe on a luckier night, win. Once we got some ideas on the park it was a lot better and Scougall is one to watch. I'm feeling a bit better about our chances in Vilnius. I'd maybe take an early booking and make sure that 11 is crocked early on to slow him up.

Or am I in denial....

I remember years back Dundee United won a fair play award from UEFA for their fans applauding gothenborg when they beat Utd in the UEFA cup final. (How mental does that sound?!) Utd got a decent cash award which they put towards building a stand.

U€£A were happy to steal £15k off us for someone waving a palastine flag for 10 seconds a few years ago, so just wondering if they're going to throw some cash our way for Saints fans applauding Dorley when he was subbied?

If anyone at Saints was videoing that game, it might be worth putting it on social media and tagging UEFA in.

With all the problems of racism in European football, a support from a predominately white country applauding a young black player who has just given them a runaround, when you are losing a big European match at home, would surely make a positive story to focus on.

Might also raise the club's profile, and encourage other up and coming players from different parts of the world to come and play here!

I thought somebody would pick up on that! That was a separate point.

My point is an award for fair play, for sportsmanship. Applauding an opponent off the pitch who has excelled, even when your team is losing. 

I mentioned him being black only because there are huge problems of racism against black players in Italian and some Eastern European leagues currently. Players walking off the pitch etc due to the level of abuse. I only mentioned the fact that the young lad is black because of this, it sets a positive example to other leagues and supporters.

I agree with you, there shouldn't be an award for not being racist, it should be the norm. The two points were separate and I probably didn't make that clear.

clapping an opposition player getting subbed, I dont get it, struggle to understand it, he aint no Zidane or Ronaldo.  Was surprised, as didn't think he was that good.

Might be wrong but from my point of view it was the player who made a big show of applauding the Saints fans first (a nice gesture from him I thought), and the fans then responded by applauding him back. I don't think it happened based purely on his performance, and I think it's unlikely it would have happened if he was playing for a rival Scottish team - but under the circumstances I thought the applause was understandable.

clapping an opposition player getting subbed, I dont get it, struggle to understand it, he aint no Zidane or Ronaldo.  Was surprised, as didn't think he was that good.

The young lad played more passes than our whole team put together. He made himself avaliable at every opportunity to allow a teamate to find him so they could counter us when play broke down.

We did seem quite adverse to actually just marking him though but nevermind.

Guest ScottMann

Is it really in Italian football? Or Serbian? 

I'm not expert on Serbia but I'd say as a generalism that the norm in most civilised societies is to be non-racist leaving the racism to varying sizes of minorities.

I'm not expert on Serbia but I'd say as a generalism that the norm in most civilised societies is to be non-racist leaving the racism to varying sizes of minorities.

I agree, but I think there still is a problem in football in parts of Europe, even if it isn't the majority of people.  Did a quick google search:

http://www.france24.com/en/20170614-focus-italy-racism-football-soccer-pescara-muntari-tifosi-awareness-programme

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/25/serbian-football-racism-problem-everton-luiz

Anyway, didn't mean to start a debate on racism in football, probably shouldn't have mentioned that part, just making the point it would be good if UEFA gave us recognition for a bit of 'sportsmanship' as they were quick enough to punish us for very little.

Its pretty similar to what United were rewarded for all those years ago.