FK Trakai (H) - Europa League Round 1 - 29/06/17

Abernethy Saint

That's us out, there is zero chance we win by two goals over there. 

As always with us, it was a collective effort to be that shite. Tommy Wright started things by, once again, chucking in a youngster nowhere near ready, and, once again, changing things that were never broken. Paton and Craig our best central midfield partnership last season? Nah, we'll chuck Craig on the left and put Alston beside Paton for the first ever time. Team ripping us apart down the wings? We'll play a narrow diamond. All because he's too much of a shitehawk to play one up front at home. Was screaming out for a five man midfield yet we stuck with the ****ing diamond, which has never, ever, worked for us no matter how many times he tries it. 

Can't help but feel this is why TW struggles to get his move. Even when we're the better team, and the opposition are actively playing for a draw, we still refuse to take control of the match. The look of shock on the Trakai players when they got the ball in our half early on and had acres of space to run into and unmarked players to pass to was incredible. 

Alston and Cummins misses barely registered with me, as they literally miss every time they have a tap in. MacLean was once again trying to be everywhere instead of actually being a striker, Wotherspoon was a complete coward who only played the simplest pass from five minutes in as he ****ed up the first awkward one he tried. While Gilchrist was laughably bad. 

you talk some pi- sh at times.

They were a neat sharp team and certainly more match fit than us. There are no pub teams in world football and we were left chasing the game after the lamest of goals by an unsound back four.

Our two wing backs Beast and Foster who are probably two of our best players along with Macca were poor by their own standard.

I think we can win over there but it might not be enough.

On a positive note the fans were brilliant tonight and deserved more, watching football at this time of year in shirt sleeves is ace.

Considering Tommy sent Clelland out to watch this lot, his shape and midfield selection was a bit baffling.

I still have (slim) hopes for the second leg. Play Scougall (as a no.10) Alston and Thomson wide, with Midge feeding them 

Thomson still an unknown really. 

Midfield did not work until Millar and Scougall came on.

Would appear to be to be the thoughts of many. Still flummoxed why they didn't start. 

So was I.

Would have thought you use your flair players/controllers to win the game and then when they get tired replace with your defensive midfield and close the game down but hey ho I only have the same initials as our manager not his insight into how to beat the opposition.

Millar not starting tonight a ridiculous call and our marquee signing not starting either. 

100% difference with Midge on the park. 

I agree. I think Chris Millar is perfect for European football as he keeps the ball, comes and gets it off the back 4 and builds play. There's always the injury worry but if he's declared fit then use him in these matches.

Paton just too slow, he had a good season for us last year and will have his moments this coming season I'm sure, but it was so obvious at HT that their coaching staff had spotted how long it takes him between first touch and playing a pass.. they picked his pocket constantly in that second half while he was on, and I was surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Now we know what we're up against, have a competitive game under our belts and I think the players will be hurting as very few got pass marks tonight.  I'm not saying we'll go through but I think we're capable of beating them over there if we can go back to being organised and solid at the back, with that wee bit of creativity from Scougall from the start playing off Kane...

I was worried the way Tommy was talking on Tuesday Team talk that he would put out the team he did & play the way we did. Just like he does with **** & **** he showed them too much respect & didn't start playing till the game was done.

We all love Tommy Wright but that was a brutal formation. The 11 players he picked could have worked if he played them in their natural positions. 

Alston right, Craig and Paton centre and Spoony left. That would have been fine. 

Instead Alston was too advanced leaving Paton to deal with their whole midfield AND dorley dropping into every space available. An uncomfortable defence backing off meant they could play off us. Paton was brutal but he was sold out by Tommy.

No surprise that when we put some ball players in we took total control. If Cummins could finish we would have been fine. Or if we had been slightly more match sharp. Even their goals were preventable...Zander for the second. Oh dear.

As for them. Poor at the back but with two very talented, mobile strikers. Made Cummins and Maclean look like a boulder and a lamp post.

Edited by Broon

What an uninspiring starting eleven. Tommy completely bottled it, and I hope he f*cking knows he bottled it. The game was lost before we even kicked off.

Cummins is a horrible footballer and should never be in the position to earn a wage from this football club. He should never have made an appearance in this match never mind starting it. He ballsed up simple passes. He ballsed up runs. He ballsed up every single moment that he was presented with. This man cannot shoot, pass, cross, intercept, or read a simple run. Get him out of our starting eleven right now. Get him on the club charter next week and leave him in Lithuania. He could be a cheeky Irish club rep or something. Just get him off our books.

I really want to like Alston but no matter how much he tried tonight he failed. Good runs but poor everything else. Awful decision making. You can tell he came  from the first division.

Paton got caught in possession far too much and let his big square head get in the way of everything. Zero positive marks.

I love Steven Maclean but he had a poor game tonight. Shite passes. Shite runs. Shite knock ons.

- Stefan should have started

- We can't pass the ball

-Hoofball etc

They looked much much much more comfortable than us when the hall was at their feet. On plastic they will destroy us. Why can't we play the ball on the deck?

I am sad

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

Not certain Tommy said there were to be no more players signed.  I thought he said there wouldn't be anyone this week.

Q  Do you expect to bring any more players in between now and next week?

TW  If I can I can't play them - they can't be registered for it.  For the game or just in general?

Q     Just in general

TW   No! No!

I thought that Trakai looked poor as we pressed and moved forward - for the first two minutes, not five.

After that we sat off as if too tired and handed them the initiative, which they took very well.

They only have a couple of players and some of their passing and mistakes were Cowdenbeath level.

Yet again we lose a European tie to an inferior side.

I don't buy the halfway through their season, fitter, match fit argument.

That's us out, there is zero chance we win by two goals over there. 

As always with us, it was a collective effort to be that shite. Tommy Wright started things by, once again, chucking in a youngster nowhere near ready,

who else was he supposed to chuck in?

Terrible performance, especially in Midfield.

Alston - Useless

Spoony - Little to no impact

Zippy - Little to no impact

Paton, Muzz, Craig - lacked creativity and often made silly mistakes.

The only way we'll beat them as if we match them technically.

So for next week I'd suggest starting Scougall (who was brilliant tonight), Millar, Thomson and Kano.

If I could sum up tonight, it would be this sentence I heard mid-game: "Only Saints would play long ball against Tiki Taka"

Edited by Wee Mental Davie