FK Trakai (A) - Europa League Round 1 - 06/07/17

Ali91

That result is really hard to take and I don't at all blame Tommy for grabbing the opportunity to plead for more money. As much as I'm against overspending and generally agree with the Brown approach, we are desperate for a direct, athletic forward player who can really damage other teams. If we can't add that final piece to the jigsaw, we can't hope to maintain our levels of success and we're going to struggle.

That said, it has crossed my mind lately that the balance of the squad isn't right, and the responsibility for that has to sit with the manager. Personally I'd be happy to see us lose one midfielder and one of either Kane or Cummins, and use that freed-up budget on one good forward player. But I also think that the reason we have so many midfielders is that arguably our two best ones - Millar and Davidson - are also our most injury prone, which has created a need for extra cover in that area.

I get all the arguments about summer football, but when we beat Rosenborg everyone said we looked fresh while they looked weary. So it can work either way. To be honest I don't really care about how that gets fixed for Scottish football. I just want to see Saints get through a couple of rounds in Europe and maybe get to go out on a high. After striving all year to finish 4th and get into Europe, it's such a blow to chuck it all away in the space of a week.

To lose our first 2 competitive matches and to go out of Europe in the 1st QR is a massive disappointment especially after the excellent work the players did in getting there.

Lets remember that if you had said to any of us 10 years ago that we would be in Europe for the 5th time in 6 seasons and ended up in the top 6 for 6 seasons in a  row then you would have been laughed at.

These defeats and disappointments are just part of life as a saintee, We brush ourselves down and get ready to go again.

I'm not that bothered about getting beat in Europe. Its a bonus and ive enjoyed the trip for what it was - a great experience watching football in another country, a country football aside i would never have visited.

What concerns me more though is the state of the squad and our style of play we've developed. Yes it works when we have our backs to the wall but we cannot play teams weaker than us as we have very little attacking ability. 

Ronaldo wouldn't have been able to finish a single one of those weak, high, floaty crosses we kept on putting into the box. We really need some quality out wide if we are going to continue with those tactics. 

MOH would have flourished in that game last night with the space he could have found.

I was doing other stuff whilst watching the stream and it was so brutal that I didn't even realise they had gone down to ten men!

Really would love to see another angle for their goal - can't figure out quite what the defenders were up to being miles away from each other and miles away from their striker.

On the park last night was just a massive disappointment on the park. We made them look good in Perth. 

Hoped for us to go out and take the game by the scruff off the neck and really try and dominate, particularly since they just sat in with 11 men behind the ball. We played over 30 mins last night against 10 men as well and you would never have known it was the case. 

Kane with two glorious chances and particularly the headed miss in the 2nd half seemed an unbelievable miss from our end of the park.  He just didnt look like he believed himself he was going to score.  

Plenty opportunities to cross the ball in from out wide but along with nearly every set piece the cross was abysmal. Why are all our corners looped in stupidly high into the box. Even if we win it its difficult to power the header towards goal. 

Jo unlucky in the first half with 2 headers but its sad to say over two legs did we deserve to go through. No we didnt. 

What a shambles our crowd were last night by the way. Some amount of absolute roasters. 

We needed to score early, we didn't. The team was almost what I'd have chose so can't really argue, as @Broon said, we aren't good at breaking down teams when the onus is on us. 

Have to say I found this at the home game as well, and at cup semis and the final. It's probably the same at every club though.

Folk who come along for a day out/ trip and feel that Saints owe them a win cos they've bothered to turn up, and give the team or individual players absolute pelters when it goes tits up.

Guest ScottMann

Kane with two glorious chances and particularly the headed miss in the 2nd half seemed an unbelievable miss from our end of the park.  He just didnt look like he believed himself he was going to score.  

The 2nd half sitter was Joe wasn't it?

The 2nd half sitter was Joe wasn't it?

Thought it was Kane. Could be wrong though, could well not have even been a sitter being the far end. 

Just looked it. 

The one I'm thinking off came a cross out wide on the right. 

Edited by Perth Guy

Guest ScottMann

Thought it was Kane. Could be wrong though, could well not have even been a sitter being the far end. 

Just looked it. 

The one I'm thinking off came a cross out wide on the right. 

Yeah. Shat it because of the keeper and nodded it wide. 

Joe scores our only goal from a corner, misses a very good chance from another then a sitter from open play.  He's a defender so I'll always give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to misses but it probably helps show how much faith Tommy has in Kane and Cummins that Joe features so prominently in our scoring chances.

The crosses from the right were shocking. Well when I say crosses I mean the numerous balls from the edge of the box hit to their defenders.

Yes I thought we got very little from our wide players last night. Alston had a spell of linking up well for 25 minutes or so in the second half, with little in the way of quality end product.

I don't know if Liam Craig was told to sit in more to protect Tanser, but I thought he gave us next to nothing in attack.

Our forwards were also not good enough on the night.

Guest ScottMann

Yes I thought we got very little from our wide players last night. Alston had a spell of linking up well for 25 minutes or so in the second half, with little in the way of quality end product.

I don't know if Liam Craig was told to sit in more to protect Tanser, but I thought he gave us next to nothing in attack.

I think our crosses showed the difference between wide players and players playing out wide. 

The last two games have shown how weak the squad is, not one striker can finish. Players like Craig and Paton are holding us back, just mistake after mistake, getting caught in possession time and again. You expect better from experienced players like them.

We have a talented player like Scougall and choose to bypass him completely with long balls and crosses to players that couldn't hit a barn door.

Millar is one of our best midfielders and he's getting towards the end of his career, we really need another player not afraid to beat a player or use movement to shrug off an opponent and then pick a pass. Just now its like watching a new game called hoofball.

I think Craig was there to protect Tanser but he played there last week & didn't protect Easton.

You a right about playing central midfielders out wide without any success.

I can't believe we have an out & out winger on the bench & he never got any minutes on the park over 2 games.

I think Craig was there to protect Tanser but he played there last week & didn't protect Easton.

You a right about playing central midfielders out wide without any success.

I can't believe we have an out & out winger on the bench & he never got any minutes on the park over 2 games.

I think it says a lot about how TW rates Thomson. His directness and pace could've been handy, but his crossing is pretty shite aswell.