FK Trakai (A) - Europa League Round 1 - 06/07/17

Ali91

Guest ScottMann

That's a great result. Well done Trakai. Hope they get at least shot of vodka to celebrate before an early night as they'll doubtless be up at 5.30am to start their work back in the onion fields tomorrow.

Yeah, I suppose both us and the 2015 Swedish Champions were just really unlucky. We both struggled to beat a team on par with Cowdenbeath and got hit on the break over 180 minutes....

Unbelievable! 

You will need to have a word with Tommy Wright as well then. He said we would beat them if we played them in a few weeks time.

You will need to have a word with Tommy Wright as well then. He said we would beat them if we played them in a few weeks time.

I disagree. I think we were beaten by a better team. Norrkoping are mid season and whilst their form has wobbled a bit since the start of the Euro campaign, I doubt they'll use that as an excuse.

They pulled a "Saints" on us. It's rare for us to be beaten by a team more disciplined and organised than we are. That's usually one of our strongest points!

Fair play to them. No diving, rolling around or time wasting either. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

Guest ScottMann

Trakai beat us home and away as they were better than us and deserved to go through. I don't get the continued self-flagellation about it. We just weren't good enough.

Trakai beat us home and away as they were better than us and deserved to go through. I don't get the continued self-flagellation about it. We just weren't good enough.

I think the issue was that we weren't good enough at that point in time. As Tommy said, if we had met them later we would have beaten them.

Guest ScottMann

I think the issue was that we weren't good enough at that point in time. As Tommy said, if we had met them later we would have beaten them.

And if my auntie had etc etc. I wouldn't expect Tommy to say anything else under the circumstances. We played them, they deservedly beat us, they move on. I accept that and can sleep soundly at night without thinking 'if only'. 

I've managed to get a guy at the sports shop in Vilnius to agree to send over shirts (Trakai) - i wanted one for the collection - if anyone wants one they are €21 + €6 postage./ 

Happy to sort it out for anyone - no profit etc. or PM me and I'll send the guy's email/

There have been way bigger upsets by Lithuanian clubs in UEFA competitions this summer.

Marijampolės Sūduva eliminated Belarusian Shakhtyor Soligorsk in the first Europa League Qualifying round.

Just a few days ago they won 3-0 against FC Sion, a Swiss club richer than all Lithuanian football clubs combined, in the third round. http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2018/matches/round=2000888/match=2021922/index.html

Even Vilniaus Žalgiris had a 3-1 lead against Bulgarian Ludogorets, a team that looks better on paper than any Scottish club except Celtic, after 130 minutes in the Champions League qualifiers. Unfortunatelly, they collapsed later. Lost 3-5 on aggregate.

By the way, Lithuania (1.625) stays ahead of Scotland (1.250) in 2017/18 UEFA rankings at the moment. Right, the basketball country were no football club averaged at least a thousand specators last season:)