Lack of Ambition or Direction

St Mikey

I think that if Tommy was genuinely convinced that these young players were good enough, he'd give them a game earlier. The fact that he doesn't probably tells us all we need to know.

Well that's a negative for the coaching staff as these guys shouldn't be here at 23 if they are not good enough. It would be interesting how much is spent on youth system. How many decent players could have we bought.

I think we should know by the age of 18 if a player had what it takes.

I think that if Tommy was genuinely convinced that these young players were good enough, he'd give them a game earlier. The fact that he doesn't probably tells us all we need to know.

On the other hand he has signed and played quite a few rotten footballers. Not all his judgement is bang on.

Well that's a negative for the coaching staff as these guys shouldn't be here at 23 if they are not good enough. It would be interesting how much is spent on youth system. How many decent players could have we bought.

I think we should know by the age of 18 if a player had what it takes.

For the first part you can get this information in the club accounts however if you take into account the SFA grants, sponsorship and fundraising in the last two years the club has invested 150 times less than United, 250 times less than Rangers and 300-400 times less than Celtic. So the first team has been priority.

The group coming up to 20s this year were beaten once in two years and plenty of "bigger" clubs sniffing about.

On the second part 21/22 unless a club is financially unstable and they need to play their youths. 

Edited by sasha

Guest ScottMann

For the first part you can get this information in the club accounts 

I'm not party the club accounts. What does it cost us to run the youth set up each year?

And that's the point. Why are we filling our squad with 21-22 year olds if we don't think they'll make the grade. Liam Caddis was a prime example. Everyone could see he was never going to be a premier player, but he lingered for years too long not contributing.

I could understand if there was still the reserve football and we had a squad of backup players, which incidentally would be much better for players development.

And that's the point. Why are we filling our squad with 21-22 year olds if we don't think they'll make the grade. Liam Caddis was a prime example. Everyone could see he was never going to be a premier player, but he lingered for years too long not contributing.

I could understand if there was still the reserve football and we had a squad of backup players, which incidentally would be much better for players .

Edwards, Peterborough United, Maddison Peterborough United, Abeid CL player, Pawlett MK Dons, Doughty, QPR/Swindon, May Sheffield W/Preston etc 

As regards to reserves, before it was full of 1st team players who never got a game.

Until we stop signing players from every place else that think they are better than our league we will not bring our kids on.

if Saints were run poorly we would see more of our kids coming through.

On the subject of loan deals - I've never been a massive fan of those but it does disappoint me a little that we haven't done more to exploit our friendly relationship with Eses. If we could take a young striker from them for a year's worth of experience then that could potentially be a way of finding someone a bit different.

or surely jody can tap us a chelsea youngster

For the first part you can get this information in the club accounts however if you take into account the SFA grants, sponsorship and fundraising in the last two years the club has invested 150 times less than United, 250 times less than Rangers and 300-400 times less than Celtic. So the first team has been priority.

Interesting but the statutory accounts do not differentiate between the youth set up and the rest of the Club.  Not sure how you calculate 150 times less than United for instance? Can you give figures?

I suspect Parks may have been the reporter on that one, he has been writing most of the articles on Saints in recent days and stating the same in each one.

Gordon Parks of Joe Miller/Linfield fame?  Think you can safely disregard anything he says entirely.  

Tommy stating on radio we need quality.

Either trim the squad to allow for the quality or we need investment.

Neither of those options are available.

Continually told by the club that this is the highest we can achieve on our budget and we have the 11th smallest budget in the league. Wheres the bloody violin?!

Over these two European legs the players, coaching staff, manager and club have shown a lack of desire. Yes they are working hard but is it enough or just paying lip service. We lacked both ambition and direction tonight. Where was the random shot from 30 yards to test the keeper? Boring play.

Tommy has put it out in the open now that he needs investment and players but only a matter of time for the powers that be to decide to either back him or stomp him.

• 1 month later...

After not signing a rumour signing we wanted and one we did not this is getting farcical. 

Utter bollocks from the club. Send Kane out on loan to leave two 1st team strikers of an old Macca and a guy who is not a footballer. 

This is my opinion and I'm not bothered about all the shiite about we were worse in the 70s. This is here and now and all the teams we will be potentially fighting for for top six have strengthened. We've got a couple guys in but no goal scorer for the 3rd season in a row. 

Bloody disgrace. 

Who is going to score on Saturday?

This season so far has been all talk and delivering nothing. 

After not signing a rumour signing we wanted and one we did not this is getting farcical. 

Utter bollocks from the club. Send Kane out on loan to leave two 1st team strikers of an old Macca and a guy who is not a footballer. 

This is my opinion and I'm not bothered about all the shiite about we were worse in the 70s. This is here and now and all the teams we will be potentially fighting for for top six have strengthened. We've got a couple guys in but no goal scorer for the 3rd season in a row. 

Bloody disgrace. 

This post

Bloody disgrace. 

is going to score on Saturday?

garry-468533.jpg

Bloody disgrace. 

MAYDAY, MAYDAY. 

PANIC STATIONS.

One game in, 100% record in the league. two top targets signed and kids loaned out with the promise of more signings.

What a roaster. Get a ****ing grip

Edited by Pat McGroin

I think we can all agree that we would like to be in a far healthier position striker wise. With only Macca who cannae play on several grounds and Zippy who we ultimately are waiting for his contract to end next year, we are highly predictable.

The club may have had Murray, Keatings, MacDonald, Storey, Sammon etc on the list and possibly have been unlucky in not getting any of he two strikers we so urgently need. It is not like TW doesnae know. Straight after game in Lithuania he clearly stated that we had very limited quality up top. We have freed up some money from Kane, but I think all of us are desperate for a Sandaza, Wright or O'Boyle. Our search will be outside of Scotland now probably. There has to be genuine quality of 2 strikers somewhere in the world.

Edited by Havana Saint

Bloody disgrace. 

Well if the wife disnae hey a sair heid I'll be in with a chance.

As others have said perhaps Storey etc decided not to take up any offer from Saints. Yes, I would love to see a good striker or two here but the difficulty is who, can we afford them and would they come. Hopefully there will be someone who either wants to come to Perth, get first team football and set themselves up for a bigger move or perhaps someone who feels they have achieved all they can at their current club and wants a fresh challenge. 

As to Kane, I am glad he will be racking up game time and hopefully will come back to us a better player. Doesn't seem all that long ago when folks on here were moaning about Stevie May not having the ability to make the grade/the championship being his level, hoping he would be moved on etc.