Steven McLean and the Plastic Pitch

Saint Paul

There is a lot of discussion in the press over the past few days regarding the possibility of McLean playing on the plastic pitch.

Is this a genuine attempt by Tommy to unsettle the opposition, as I tend to read this as a bit of a veiled dig at Steve Brown, by saying, we don't have another striker to rely on, therefore, I need to risk McLean.

Am I reading a bit too much into this, or is anyone else getting this feeling ?

I cannot see TW putting Macca in there. The policy we have employed over the past couple of years where we have been careful with Macca has payed dividends and we have a long season ahead. This team without McLean is a poor imitation so why risk him. 

I think this is some mind games by Tommy to unsettle the Traiks.

There is a lot of discussion in the press over the past few days regarding the possibility of McLean playing on the plastic pitch.

Is this a genuine attempt by Tommy to unsettle the opposition, as I tend to read this as a bit of a veiled dig at Steve Brown, by saying, we don't have another striker to rely on, therefore, I need to risk McLean.

I think Tommy is the only one to blame for us not having a decent striker for 2 or 3 seasons.

As for Macca I hope he doesn't play for 2 reasons.

1 Plastic pitch 

2 We try to go through him instead of using the width.

It's more likely to be mind games with Trakai than a dig at the chairman.  After all it's up to the manager how the budget is used.  Tommy is responsible for the balance of the squad.

on a more positive note, I believe we can get a result on Thursday.  And we will go on to have a decent season under Tommy.  Again.

Love the title of this thread sounds like the title of a ladybird book! :)

I think that Tommy may be considering Mcleans inclusion as a calculated risk. I don't theres any chance he would start but perhaps he could play in a scenario where we need a goal with a limited amount of time left.   I would imagine if used at all it would be for the last 10-15 mins or so as an impact sub.

When listening to his interview earlier I think it could be mind games. Said it would take a a lot to change his mind and play macca but why name him in the 23 if u felt like that. Also could be reverse psychology here and take the heat away from Cummings and Kane as I would imagine our opponents will set up to play against macca. 

It's not worth the risk. A season of just Cummins and Kane as our options worries me, both inconsistent. 

I also highly doubt the Trakai manager is giving a single **** about which haddy we'll be starting up front considering getting the pitiful attempt at scoring we showed him last week. They'll play the same way regardless of us. Playing any mind games is just a monumental waste of our own time. 

Have him in the bench so he can be in the dressing room. 

It's not worth the risk. A season of just Cummins and Kane as our options worries me, both inconsistent. 

I also highly doubt the Trakai manager is giving a single **** about which haddy we'll be starting up front considering getting the pitiful attempt at scoring we showed him last week. They'll play the same way regardless of us. Playing any mind games is just a monumental waste of our own time. 

Have him in the bench so he can be in the dressing room. 

He may get injured in the dressing room. No grass.

It's not inconsistency, they're just not good enough.

Think that may be a bit harsh on Kane, he's definitely incosistent but at other times shown that he is very capable.  I think it's pretty much a make or break season for him he needs to step up to the mark.  Agree about Cummins tho

Think that may be a bit harsh on Kane, he's definitely inconsistent but at other times shown that he is very capable.  I think it's pretty much a make or break season for him he needs to step up to the mark.  Agree about Cummins tho

This will be Kane's third make or break season then? He's no young kid coming through anymore, the fact of the matter is he and Cummins simply are not good enough for one of the best teams in the country over the past five years. They are both lower Premiership or Championship level. The only reason we still have them slogging it out is due to the odd situation that we are still unable to replace Steve May, a player that left us what two seasons ago? I'm not going to point the finger at either Management or the board, because at the end of the day I am merely a fan and know nothing of the situation. However it can't go on much longer, I have a feeling that Macca will either hang up his boots this at the end of the coming season or take on a reduced roll from main striker.

This will be Kane's third make or break season then? He's no young kid coming through anymore, the fact of the matter is he and Cummins simply are not good enough for one of the best teams in the country over the past five years. They are both lower Premiership or Championship level. The only reason we still have them slogging it out is due to the odd situation that we are still unable to replace Steve May, a player that left us what two seasons ago? I'm not going to point the finger at either Management or the board, because at the end of the day I am merely a fan and know nothing of the situation. However it can't go on much longer, I have a feeling that Macca will either hang up his boots this at the end of the coming season or take on a reduced roll from main striker.

I can see the point your making, I suppose it's a question of how long the manager/chairman are prepared to persevere with any given player.  Sometimes it can work against you and then your kicking yourself for letting a player go ( I'm thinking Dobbie a few years back). 

We seem to have been prepared to push the boat out a little for midfielders so seems strange that we've been stuck with an uninspiring attack for some time now.  It's not as if we've have any real hot prospects or ready made replacements coming through the youth ranks either.  Would be great if we could be proactive and address the issue rather waiting till Macca gets injured.

It's not inconsistency, they're just not good enough.

As the main striker, probably not. Both are fine as a secondary option, and both are useful to have in the squad over a season. We shouldn't take them for granted, especially when you look around the league and see the strikers at other clubs. 

No idea why people expect us to replace May like for like, players like him are complete one offs and a team of our finances won't sign anyone near to that. 

• 1 month later...