Hartlepool

Poolie 75

Hi everyone pools fan here just wanted to see how you thought we performed today against you? 

After being relegated to the National League I was encouraged with the performance against Sunderland the other night when we lost 1-2 with a last minute free kick.

Do you think there are worse sides than us in SPL? Always wondered comparison wise in which league we would compete well if in Scotland. A lot of people tell me Celtic and Rangers championship standard and yourselves Aberdeen Motherwell lower half league 1 with Hamilton say struggling to stay in league 2???

I wish you all well for the forthcoming season.

I agree. While you came into the game later on when we had started to look dis-interested, you didn't have much to show up front. Not sure if the starting eleven were the guys you'd expect to start in your league campaign, but our keeper didn't have much to do other than a decent save from a free kick.

Team as dull as their strips. Lacking flair and unlikely to trouble many defences but strong & won't lose too many goals.

Not sure how to compare with other Scottish teams ,think probably Championship level.

Best of luck in your effects to return to national leagues & sad to see your drop down the leagues.

It's a pointless comparison. Leagues have different requirements. English leagues seem more physical, up here it's more technical. I think it's right to suggest you'd be in the top half of the Championship, Lee Clark built a team at Kilmarnock filled with physical players a bit low on technique and they managed beat Falkirk, top four regulars in the Championship, over two legs. 

Thought Hartlepool were alright, they never really threatened and even when we stood off and let them control proceedings they didn't seem to have a particular focal point to take them that final step towards goal. Your front man (9) was willing to put himself about but was pretty isolated, wide men never beat their full backs and those in the middle were more hustle and bustle than any skill. 

We've toiled with players from league two. They just aren't up to top league standard here. The successes we've had have largely been guys from the top end of league one that have been a bit too slight or lacked a bit of pace for the English leagues. Guys like Danny Swanson and hopefully Stefan Scougall. 

You're probably on par with the bottom end of Scottish full time football. Mid table in our Championship. 

I think Hamilton have the tools to beat you on an average day. Their knack for producing talent mean they have a few guys capable of a bit of magic at any given time. Something you badly lacked today.

Edited by Pat McGroin

That was us in second gear and missing several of our first 11, if it mattered I'd say we could hit you boys for 7 or 8. Our first 11, minus our captain played the first half versus a full strength Sunderland and scudded them 3-0 , we spent the rest of the afternoon passing around them. 

Big physical laddies in your side, not much else.

Difficult to tell where Scottish teams would do in England and vice versa as money has skewed things massively. Based on current squads I'd say Celtic Premiership, Aberdeen mid/top championship and the rest championship/league 1, but no lower. However, given the money, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen could all be premiership sides given their size and resources. Likewise, Bournemouth, Burnley etc could easily end up in Scottish Championship.

We'll see soon enough once the bubble bursts and there is more of a level playing field.

Difficult to tell where Scottish teams would do in England and vice versa as money has skewed things massively. Based on current squads I'd say Celtic Premiership, Aberdeen mid/top championship and the rest championship/league 1, but no lower. However, given the money, Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen could all be premiership sides given their size and resources. Likewise, Bournemouth, Burnley etc could easily end up in Scottish Championship.

We'll see soon enough once the bubble bursts and there is more of a level playing field.

You're wrong there. 

You view Bournemouth as a small team but in reality it has the same sort of population as Aberdeen. It's small in English terms but not Scottish. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

With crowds of 3000 we would struggle to be anywhere near championship. (If there's a decent away support)

Hartlepools average gate was 4000 last season and got relegated out the football league. There's non league sides with stadiums the same size at mcd!

Average gates in the English championship was just over 20k last season. 

Aberdeen are not a big club in the grand scheme of things. Just because they sing they are world famous. Doesn't mean they are. 

Edited by Perth Guy

Guest ScottMann

It always amuses me that English fans who don't watch Scottish football as it's a pub league supposedly know so much about it. Many still call it the SPL which speaks  volumes. It's obvious South Shields would win the Scottish Premiership and Buxton the Cup.

I'd just like to clarify that the top league in Scotland isn't called the SPL, nor is it called the SPFL.

^^^ this first of all.

With crowds of 3000 we would struggle to be anywhere near championship. (If there's a decent away support)

Hartlepools average gate was 4000 last season and got relegated out the football league. There's non league sides with stadiums the same size at mcd!

Average gates in the English championship was just over 20k last season. 

Aberdeen are not a big club in the grand scheme of things. Just because they sing they are world famous. Doesn't mean they are. 

^^^What a lot of pish.

Since when have crowds mattered one bit to St Johnstone?

^^^ this first of all.

^^^What a lot of pish.

Since when have crowds mattered one bit to St Johnstone?

So they dont matter... So they club have been making massive efforts to increase crowds because they don't matter. 

The matter because without bums on seats our current relative success will fade. 

The person suggested most Scottish sides would be Championship quality. If you think we'd be a Championship side in England with crowds of 2500-300 then you'd be the one talking pish. 

England is a different world where money is king. Offering guys 800-1500 a week doesn't gain signings at that level. 

Edited by Perth Guy

Hi everyone pools fan here just wanted to see how you thought we performed today against you? 

After being relegated to the National League I was encouraged with the performance against Sunderland the other night when we lost 1-2 with a last minute free kick.

Do you think there are worse sides than us in SPL? Always wondered comparison wise in which league we would compete well if in Scotland. A lot of people tell me Celtic and Rangers championship standard and yourselves Aberdeen Motherwell lower half league 1 with Hamilton say struggling to stay in league 2???

I wish you all well for the forthcoming season.

I wasn't at yesterday's match but I watch a lot of English non-league and lower league football and can comfortably say that Saints are significantly above Hartlepool's level and English League Two level in terms of quality. The big difference though is physicality. English clubs, even when you go down two or three divisions below League Two, all seem to have a lot of big, strong, athletic players. Scottish teams just don't seem able to develop those sorts of players (I have no idea why). When you look at guys like Swanson and Scougall, they've struggled a bit in England and that could be because they're little guys who are good technically but not massively strong/fast/powerful. But Saints' organisation and general ability is significantly above what I see at England's lower end.

I'd also say that, while England's towns and cities are huge in comparison to Scotland's and that inevitably gives their clubs bigger crowds and more money to chuck around, it doesn't actually make their players any better. Even when I go to Championship matches in England I see exactly the same mis-placed passes, off-target shooting and permanently infuriated fan reactions that I see at Saints matches. I went to watch Sheffield Wednesday shortly after they signed Stevie May, and they were absolutely dreadful. There is absolutely no way they were a better team than the Cup-winning/Luzern-beating Saints side May had left.

I do think, though, that there are gems to be found in the English non-league and Saints could probably pick up one or two players from that level who could become good players for us - but it's a gamble and we'd only find those players if we had someone who really had an eye on that area of the game.