What has been your most memorable pre season friendly

PanamaSaint

Bristol City. Rowan Vine. 

I also remember Arbroath away, my dad got in a slanging match with their bench as we sat in the stand and couldn't see the far away goal due to their coaching staff standing. One of the subs came on, done something good and blew him a kiss. 

The Man City one Panama mentions featured Dennis Law among many other big names from that era. Sure we lost one nil and I would love to think the Lawman scored but probably not.

Do you remember what year? 

Found a report on it. Rodney Marsh scored, Denis Law played the full match. 

http://www.citytilidie.com/latest/st-johnstone-away-friendly-1973-to-74/

Edited by RandomGuy

Yeah that would be it. Man U had just been relegated, Law scoring against them for City in the last game of the previous season 

I think that's actually the start of that season. Was Law not only there for one season? 

Edited by RandomGuy

Sorry Random my quote isn't working but your absolutely right, that game would've been August 73 and United went down at the end of 73-74 season. I don't think Law played again after that. 

Worth looking up the goal he scored to send United down, he didn't even try, just a silly back heel from about six yards and the keeper (Stepney ?) made a mess of it. Law looked gutted.

Guest ScottMann

Sorry Random my quote isn't working but your absolutely right, that game would've been August 73 and United went down at the end of 73-74 season. I don't think Law played again after that. 

Worth looking up the goal he scored to send United down, he didn't even try, just a silly back heel from about six yards and the keeper (Stepney ?) made a mess of it. Law looked gutted.

It's an urban myth that goal relegated United. Results elsewhere meant they went down no matter what they did.

I read a book about it. Did he not admit later he wished he'd never done it or that he'd cried afterwards or something? 

Can't remember if there was a credible source for it or not, must've been in my early teens when I read it.