Who was the most famous or best player to make an appearance at Muirton Park

PanamaSaint

Guest ScottMann

Nah, Best never played at Muirton. I'm sure Hibs were in the Premier for the bulk of his games while we were in the First.

I saw him play once at Old Trafford. He played at Dens in the same Hibs side as John Connolly and I remember being tempted to go to see this dream pairing but decided not to. Having seen them both in their heyday I didn't want to remember seeing them as shadows of their former selves.

In the Spring of 1972 St. Johnstone had a free Saturday as they were out of Scottish Cup and were given the chance to play Santos including Pele. The board after careful consideration declined the offer as they would have needed a crowd of over 8000 to break even. So what might have been. From memory I think Santos went on to play a match in Ireland instead.

Guest ScottMann

Was Gordon Ramsay's imaginary "debut" for the artists formerly known as Rangers at Muirton?

It was against Barcelona in a European Cup semi-final at the Nou Camp and he scored a tie winning hat-trick, probably.

Anyone got any info on the switch on of the floodlights?

I have a feeling we played West Ham in the sixties. If so, there would've been some pretty big names in the Hammers team.

Yes. Official opening of the floodlights on 16th Dec. 1964. Floodlights erected by local firm James Scott Electrical Engineers. Made possible by fundraising and Saints Aid club + the transfer money when Jim Townsend went to Middlesborough.

Saints 3 West Ham 4.

Internationalists Johnny Byrne ( 3) and Geoff Hurst (1) scored. Bobby Moore did not play due to injury.

Billy Bond & Martin Peters also played. Crowd 4,900.

Edited by HOODLUM65