Partick Thistle (H) - Betfred Cup Round 2 - 08/08/17

dave mc

Given the teams that were unseeded we were virtually certain of getting a hard draw.

We have a home tie which is normally an advantage but sometimes an away draw for Saints based on last years performances would be best. 

If you are going to win it you need to win these sort of games. 

Partick Thistle at home braw draw Thistle should bring a decent support with them.

hopefully a good atmosphere. Bring it on.

Rubbish.

If your excited about playing the same teams so often then you enjoy it .

personally am sick of it.

It's a rubbish draw. Thistle's fourth visit to McDiarmid since February. Familiarity breeds...

Hard game too, the best of the unseeded teams and they have a good recent record in Perth.

On the draw generally, it's exposed a couple of things. It's a joke that there is another Dundee derby and what was the point of United winning the penalties. If you are going to play four games for seeding, then I think you need to reward the teams with a home draw.

The seeding isn't adding anything at all. Last season we were unseeded at this stage and drew Hearts. This season we're seeded and get Partick Thistle.

Ayr won all their group games and as seeds drew Hibs away. How has being seeded helped them?

I like the format with the groups a lot, I would just remove the seeding, and as above, make the draw so that teams from the same group can't draw each other in the very next round. 

Ayr haven't been helped but being at home would be a start for them. I like seeding for the League Cup, it just needs tweaked a bit to add home advantage IMO.

Last season we were punished for the draw at Brechin. Those four seeded spots make the groups even more interesting. Without seeding, you will inevitably end up with more meaningless group games and that doesn't help the competition.

I think 10 groups of 4 would work better than the 8x5 we have just now. The groups could then be regionalised better I also think the Euro teams might actually benefit from taking part in the groups.

Play Tuesday ,Thursday & Saturday then. Travel to be taken into account as well.

Ayr haven't been helped but being at home would be a start for them. I like seeding for the League Cup, it just needs tweaked a bit to add home advantage IMO.

Last season we were punished for the draw at Brechin. Those four seeded spots make the groups even more interesting. Without seeding, you will inevitably end up with more meaningless group games and that doesn't help the competition.

I like seeding for the groups as it ensures teams from different divisions play against each other, and guarantees variety to the fixture list.

At this round I think it would be fair game if everyone could potentially play everyone else, E.g. Celtic v rangers or Aberdeen, other than teams who qualified from the same group.  I guess winning a group should carry a reward as you say, so 4 best group winners are guaranteed home ties. The rest are all-in and luck of the draw.

I think 10 groups of 4 would work better than the 8x5 we have just now. The groups could then be regionalised better I also think the Euro teams might actually benefit from taking part in the groups.

I think regionalisation is quite hard to do due to the geographical spread of our clubs.  If it's overly-regionalised then the downside is some teams end up facing each other quite regularly, and the competition would go stale if this was the case.  For example, last season we were drawn with Falkirk, Stirling and Brechin. Those 3 were in the same group again, which would be pretty disappointing.

I was wondering if it was possible for the football authorities to devise a computer programme whereby it told you which teams hadn't played each other, in any competition, for the longest period of time, and divvy up the groups that way.  Would keep clubs from the same division apart and keep a good bit of variety to the groups.  Fixtures between clubs furthest apart would be held on the Saturday, and more local ones would be midweek.

I agree I would far rather Saints had a team in the competition.  Even if we were still in Europe, we could have fielded a young side in this competition and had these competitive games to fall back on if/ when we got knocked out.

I really like the group format, just needs a bit of tweaking.

Guest ScottMann

I was wondering if it was possible for the football authorities to devise a computer programme

You're asking a lot there Paulo. Scotland's football authorities...computers? Half of them are still stuck in 1690 and the rest are still getting their heads round those new fangled calculator thingies to help them with the change to 3 points for a win.