Partick Thistle (H) - Betfred Cup Round 2 - 08/08/17

dave mc

No shots on target?

First half .

The ball lands at Craig's left foot 6 yards out & he decides to pass it.

Ball lands at Soonys foot 6 yards out & he snatches at past the far post.

I think there were others.

Second half.

Ando  misses a free header 2 yards out.

Zippy blasts over the bar when clean through.

There were others blocked by their defence.

Zippy dragged to ground in 6 yard box at a corner.

Sadly, I think it is time for Steven McLean to be reduced to an occasional cameo. Great player in his day, but this has to be his last season. And Cummings should not be on the pitch. He is just not a striker. How many gilt edged chances has he missed this season? And how many has he scored? If we are to have any sort of decent season, we need to get a proper striker on board.

If the Board has some sort of an emergency fund, now is the time to produce it and sign a genuine striker. Without one, we will be in trouble this year.

For what its worth, Murray Davidson was the only man on the pitch worth his shirt tonight.

We were terrible. Bar Spoony, I don't think anyone gets pass marks. Partick did to us what we usually do to other teams, get in front and kill the game. 

Didn't look a penalty to me, but Ando didn't need to give the ref a decision to make, player was never going to score. Cummings, I'm sorry, but he's not worth the space in the team. Any 'striker' should at least hit the target when blasting it. Could almost excuse it if he was trying to place it.

But oh my god, the ref, he was terrible and not just saying that because we lost. Inconsistency all over the place. Partick were visibly taking the piss towards the end and how the guy got a foul for slipping and crawling to get the ball?!?.

Can imagine Tommy will tear shreds off the players and hopefully a reaction come Saturday.

The mass groan of 2000 fans when Cummins came onto the park says it all tbh.

Alston and Cummins, passengers

Kano and Liam, nothing special

MOH & Stefan, great ideas but chances and creativity let down by team mates

Mannus, same old

Spoony, f*cking shooooot!!

Knickers, wet.

Nuff said.

Well that was pretty horrendous tonight.  I felt Tommy got line-up a bit back to front. I thought scougal would start and mikey would be on the bench and used as an impact sub against tiring thistle legs.  As it turned out our options became weaker rather than stronger.  

As much as I like McLean there's no doubt his inclusion makes us play differently and if he's not on song this usually makes for a fragmented performance. Cummins continues to amaze me with how consistently he fails to score in these one on one positions.  I felt the poorest Performance came from the man in the middle who changed the game with a really soft penalty kick and allowed thistle to take the absolute pis@ out of him, time wasting in particular.  

I really hope as a season ticket holder we're not going to have to go through another campaign of being absolute shi@e at home and decent away. 

First half was OK. Thought Spoony was good and Mikey looked good, not much between the teams. Second half...oh dear. Sadly, a lot for TW to work on, our misplaced passing was very high and our lack of a goal threat was acute, don't think we got the target? Could be wrong.

Zippy's smash well wide does not give me huge faith that he will get goals this season. We cannae be any worse on Sat.

Would far rather go out of this competition and get 3 points on Sat. Maybe we will get our striker by then.

Terrible refereeing didnae help either.

David Wotherspoon 0 Patrick Thistle 3.

Shame the other 10, bar maybe Alston, never turned up.

Some shocking decision making. Poor passing. Lots of mistakes. Lots of misses depite Spoony laying them on a plate. A reluctance to shoot. Players not knowing where they were meant to be playing as we switched constantly from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-3-3. It was all a bit...well...chaotic.

Same old home form though. 

For what its worth, Murray Davidson was the only man on the pitch worth his shirt tonight.

Spoony created 3 clear goal scoring opportunities for Cummins, Joe and Ando. He also had two good efforts on goal. Passed the ball well and never panicked and punted it. Tracked back and won his fair share of tackles. 

But Murray won a few headers. 

Joe won lots of headers first half.

Tommy said we were even on chances created and took positives from the game.

I think we won heavily on being caught in possession and some of the other negatives Broon mentioned above.

Overall pretty dire stuff. Thistle were way ahead of us.

Tommy has to take a very large slice of the blame for what happened tonight I'm afraid. We totally lost shape when Liam was taken off and we moved into a 4-1-4-1 and then a 4-4-2. In the end Scougall was wasted wide and Spoony and MOH had to drop back deeper to cover. In essence bringing on the second striker in Cummins lost all our attacking edge.

A simple switch of Scougall for either of Alston or MOH would of done.

Cummins is complete gash and the quicker we bring in this mystery superstar striker the better.

Guest ScottMann

I'd much rather have lost on Saturday and won tonight. We were only 4 games from another cup win after all! Wouldn't have been unhappy with bottom 6 and a League Cup win.

We werent that bad, in hindsight, until we went behind. We need a goalscorer though. Genuinely think every touch MacLean had in the box was offside. He needs to understand that when he's the lone striker it's up to him to finish the chances, not create them. Doubt he'll change his game at this stage of his career. 

Cummins is becoming a joke, I've defended him, and still think he's a useful player, but we can't afford to have a striker incapable of hitting the target from 16 yards with nobody but the keeper in front of him. He could even have taken a touch to settle and them hit it. Kane just as bad though, gets in a position to shoot and is just soft as shite, virtually passes it at goal. 

Ideally we'd be getting two strikers in, giving Kane an extended contract probably ends any slim chance of that. 

Guest ScottMann

Naw, rather we lost to them now and learn from this, to record a victory against them a week Sat.

Six points and a good start to the league is vital.

It's not really. I'd much rather be looking back in 20 years time at my League Cup winning programme and recordings than one from a dour 2-0 league win v Motherwell that helped us to 5th place. Ah well, there's always next season.

A performance that's hard to get your head around and sum up. There is no doubt that Saints can have no complaints about the result and large elements of the performance were poor: we didn't defend well, the team lacked sharpness both individually and the way they moved the ball (which is maybe what I'd expected on Saturday) and Cerny wasn't forced into a save.

There were a few decent things to take it out it but that's harder to do with the result as it was and clearly the general picture wasn't a pretty one.

Goals from midfield is a great thing to have in the team, but you can't rely on that

I am seriously concerned, and have been for some time, about our striker options. We need that guy that will take as many chances as he misses. Cummins' and Kane's ratios must be pretty poor and you only get the best from Macca when he has a partner that can read a game....neither of the aforementioned fit that bill I'm afraid.

I usually have to go by the comments on here how well players perform and opinions are different which is normal. But last night What I witnessed with my own eyes was shocking, MOH, Muzz, Spoony, and Joe at least earned the jersey the rest bad night at the office Macca stop yer feckin whingin at your teammates. Tommy get your so called strikers their P45s.

Apart from that great night out wie the wife and shiner , met a couple of auld mates and a cousin I hadnae seen for years. My wife being Canadian came out wie a classic !! They swear at the referee ? !!

From now on when we draw Patrick at home in any cup we just no bother coming to the game. The default is a 3-0 anyways. 

Shows our complete and unbelievable need for someone to score goals. 

We need a striker. Feck, those saying better no get Sammon, at least he is better than Cummins. 

This season is going to be hard enough as it is without the team failing to shoot at the damn goal. 

From now on when we draw Patrick at home in any cup we just no bother coming to the game. The default is a 3-0 anyways. 

Shows our complete and unbelievable need for someone to score goals. 

We need a striker. Feck, those saying better no get Sammon, at least he is better than Cummins. 

This season is going to be hard enough as it is without the team failing to shoot at the damn goal. 

I said to my mate last night "two more games like this and I'm not coming back".

Utter shyte and the ref a joke too. Complete waste of money.