17/18 Objectives

OldPoster

So we have finished in the top 6 for 6 seasons in a row - So why as a club are our objectives still to stay in the league? Comment from Wright, Anderson and Davidson in the past week confirm that Is what we are aiming for.......... So the question is have these 6 seasons been a fluke, Do we not actually think we are that good or do we have no drive?

I'm not wanting this to be a negative thread I'm just curious of everyone else's take on the matter

It's simple for me

My opinion is the public target and changing room target will be totally different 

If the manager and players go public shouting top 6 from rooftops they put a target on their heads 

However going about it quietly  under the radar is proven format 

It's also well know that we don't pay highest basic wage but have one of the best bonus for success in the League 

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

The just stay in the league thing is a financial target for the accountants. Saints probably budget to finish 10th and to do little in the cups. Anything else is a bonus. This is how we got where we are.

Realistic club playing target would be top six and one decent cup run, I guess.

Optimistic, but not daft, fan target would be Europe, and a cup final.

Loving the pre-season optimism this year. Which almost certainly means a thumping from Killie today......

How many folk do you think are going to go to games they wouldn't have purely because a player said they want to finish in the top six? 

I reckon you are underestimating the impact of positive messages coming out of the club. One statement won't make 100 more people come to the next game, it's a longer term thing than that, but it does make a difference. 

Flip it round....if those associated with the club openly and regularly talked about being in a relegation battle this season, do you not think numbers would be adversely affected?

I reckon you are underestimating the impact of positive messages coming out of the club. One statement won't make 100 more people come to the next game, it's a longer term thing than that, but it does make a difference. 

Flip it round....if those associated with the club openly and regularly talked about being in a relegation battle this season, do you not think numbers would be adversely affected?

No. I think most people are aware that everything managers/players come out with is pure PR. 

Tommy and the players come out with this stuff every season but it hasn't stopped us from doing well, so why change it? Remember Tommy also openly said he wanted to add quality and move us up a level this season (can't remember his exact words) - I think that says a lot more about his real ambitions for the season.

Also remember the situation Hibs were in a few years back where they looked comfortably Top 6 for most of the season until Saints leap-frogged them and they ended up getting relegated. A bad run of results can put you in trouble very quickly, so putting safety first seems pretty sensible.

Yes agree, I always felt that was one of the worst pieces of man-management in recent years in Scottish football.

I like the understated approach, its worked well for us. In fact, it's often when we've deviated from that approach over the past few seasons that things have gone wrong.  When Tommy's came out and said we can get 2nd or 3rd etc things have suddenly nose-dived and we've gone on bad runs.

It's the media that are still bizarre. There is such an ingrained snobbery amongst them that the bigger a club's support, the better the team. Over the past 6 seasons we're the 3rd best team in the country, and yet still Hearts, Hibs etc are all given far more respect and rated higher by 'pundits'.

Alex Rae on off the ball on Saturday was coming out with the same tired old chat about us being a dependable team of journeymen.  Fair play to Stephen Thompson on sportscene though, he emphasised the point that after recent seasons, why would you not predict Saints finishing top 6 again?!!