jhq

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Tommy remarked on his non selection few days ago and was most displeased with reasons given.

Ah yes, good spot. Will be too old for the next campaign so they dropped him for the friendlies but still selected a couple of others that are older.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/712039/jason-kerr-scotland-under-21-explanation-doesnt-stack-up/

That is really poor. Once again Saints players overlooked for no obvious reason other than who they play for.. it gets hard not to jump to this conclusion.

If they leave him out of all the upcoming u21 squads, he's going to be a long way down the pecking order for a full cap with all the media darlings in there ahead of him such as McKenna, Souttar, Hendry, McCrorie etc

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

That is really poor. Once again Saints players overlooked for no obvious reason other than who they play for.. it gets hard not to jump to this conclusion.

If they leave him out of all the upcoming u21 squads, he's going to be a long way down the pecking order for a full cap with all the media darlings in there ahead of him such as McKenna, Souttar, Hendry, McCrorie etc

Hmm, I see your point, but I don't think he is ahead of McKenna or Souttar certainly. Not to mention Liam Lindsay or David Bates who are both good young defenders. Kerr just needs to keep on developing. Let's not forget, he's had less than half a season being semi regular in the top flight and Gordon even less.

Hendry baffles me, he's definitely not international class and his inclusion is 100% due to who he plays for.

If Kerr continues to perform to a high level for the whole season and doesn't get a look in for friendlies, then I think we could argue that he is being overlooked for who he plays for.

If like to think Clark, Kerr and Watt are all capable of being in and around the national set up in the near future. 

I think Watt might, but based as much around who he used to play for.  I don't think Clark and Kerr will get much of a chance playing with us to be honest, though I also think it's too early for Kerr; he needs a bit longer playing and performing in the Premiership to prove his consistency.

However, I do think Jason Kerr has been excellent in our three league games and looks more than comfortable at this level so far.

Zander is a very good commanding keeper with lots of great attributes, but I think has a tendency to parry the ball back into play in the box rather than away from goal, which I'd like to see improve before I would push for him to get a call up.  Despite this,  he's streets ahead of Hamilton, and as Hamilton has been called up to a squad then it's hard to argue against Zander.

Clark is certainly no worse than the likes of Hamilton, Archer, Bain, Samson who have all been called up in the recent past. 

Kerr isn’t ready, but that million pounds Celtic spent on Hendry could have been better spent on Jason for sure. I’m glad it wasn’t, as I think he’ll go on to better than that, but he’s still got to keep improving and cutting out little mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think Clark is the most likely. If he keeps improving, eventually he might get a shot at the 3rd goalie spot, and they generally eventually get a half against Botswana or somebody. Kerr is a thousand miles from a cap. Watt might get a call-up from his next club.

I'd say for Clark to get a call up at saints, there will need to be a series of call offs ahead of him. Archer, Gordon, McGregor and Marshall are all ahead in McLeish's eyes, but a couple of them get injured and he's in with a shout. Would be foolish to call up bain ahead of him if he is backup to Gordon.

Clarks chance was last season when he got a run in the team and Hamilton got called up. If Mannus hasn't got his place back, he might have made a squad. 

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

David Bates called up to u21s instead of soutter. 

So a player in spl with saints is overlooked for a player in German 2nd division. 

Bates is also older than Kerr, so that just proves the reason given for not calling up Kerr was a load of bollocks.