jhq

• 4 months later...

Didn't even get mentioned in this article. Nor did Zander.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48427486

I'm not saying they have a divine right to be in the squad or anything, but to not even get a mention seems odd. However, the article says that Callum Paterson, who has been out since March, 'had regular game time as the season drew to a close' so probably this was just an editor going 'Can you give me 1000 words on this by tomorrow?'

2 minutes ago, sleepless said:

I really shouldn't be surprised any more, but I have to say I'm disappointed this time. I felt sure Zander and possibly Jason would have been included. New broom, same shit.

From what I can make out from a brief look Zander has more clean sheets whilst playing fewer games than Kelly, has made more saves and conceded fewer goals. 

15 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Can't argue with it tbh. Even if I was picking the squad I'd struggle to put them in, and I'm a Saints fan. 

I think when you look at the likes of Kelly and Devlin getting in the squad, you could say that Clark and Kerr are better and more deserving than either of them. So from that point of view it’s disappointing; however from a selfish saints point of view, it allows them both extended rest and give them a reason to up third performances and improve. Plus doesn’t draw more attention to them. So disappointing that their form hasn’t been recognised, but ultimately a good thing for saints themselves. 

Devlin turns 26 in a couple of months and has completed three 90 minutes since the first week in November. 

Clarke is just the same as the others, he'd rather call players up on name than performances. The fact hes called up four Kilmarnock players shouldn't distract from that.

Guest ScottMann

I genuinely do not understand why any Saints fan still expects any of our players to be included in a full Scotland international squad. Peter Grant gave a pretty good insight into the mindset of Hampden Park's finest when slaughtering Zander earlier on. It's Scottish football and it's just not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

I genuinely do not understand why any Saints fan still expects any of our players to be included in a full Scotland international squad. Peter Grant gave a pretty good insight into the mindset of Hampden Park's finest when slaughtering Zander earlier on. It's Scottish football and it's just not going to happen.

When a Livingston keeper's being included in the Scotland squad, I'd fully expect a St. Johnstone keeper to have a shot as well. Especially when the latter has the best stats in the league over the past season. I'm a bit bemused by it. If they were only selecting keepers from 'big' Scottish clubs, I'd at least be able to comprehend the flawed logic.

Guest ScottMann
19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

When a Livingston keeper's being included in the Scotland squad, I'd fully expect a St. Johnstone keeper to have a shot as well. Especially when the latter has the best stats in the league over the past season. I'm a bit bemused by it. If they were only selecting keepers from 'big' Scottish clubs, I'd at least be able to comprehend the flawed logic.

Excluding loans, the Livingston keeper has spent most of his career at Rangers and has played for Scotland at numerous under age levels. He has come through 'the system' with the establishment club/s before his move to Livi. Zander has played for Saints.

Anyway, diddy fans should know by now there is no point in rational argument when it comes to the Scotland team.

Edited by ScottMann

20 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Excluding loans, the Livingston keeper has spent most of his career at Rangers and has played for Scotland at numerous under age levels. He has come through 'the system' with the establishment club/s before his move to Livi. Zander has played for Saints.

Anyway, diddy fans should know by now there is no point in rational argument when it comes to the Scotland team.

I am sure Kelly & the Killie players were released by OF in their youth.

20 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Probably true but I'm a bit disappointed in Steve Clarke if that's his reasoning. With Strachan, McLeish, Smith etc I could see it being the case, but had hoped Clarke was a bit above giving a sh*t about all that stuff.

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Probably true but I'm a bit disappointed in Steve Clarke if that's his reasoning. With Strachan, McLeish, Smith etc I could see it being the case, but had hoped Clarke was a bit above giving a sh*t about all that stuff.

I think his inclusion in the last Scotland squad was maybe the thing the won him a place over Zander - a sense of continuity perhaps?