Dave Mckay Testimonial match against DUNDEE Friday 6th Oct.

Maybe. Maybe I'm just finding it tedious being called a cock for daring to question someone who specifically came onto a testimonial thread for a legend to say they're pointless. 

I didn't give a **** about the opposition either, draw for me was seeing Mackay and the legends again, we could've been playing Jeanfield Swifts and I'd still have enjoyed it. 

I never said at any time that they were pointless, I said I don't particularly agree with them,and it was everyone's prerogative to go or not.As for being called a co ck,between here and p&b 150 posters can't be wrong 

Utterly embarrassing stuff on here from so called fans of the club - particularly the clown in Manhattan.  If you're such a genius, how about volunteering to organise Midge's testimonial?

As for Random - it's up to individuals whether they want to attend an event or not. If Dave mc called you a cock then maybe he had a point mate.  You started telling him how he should spend his cash and then started dishing out lectures on a subject (pensions) you clearly knew nothing about yourself.  Although I do realise it's not a first for you to pretend you know better than others on any given subject.

Now to the event itself.  I was fortunate to attend as a guest of on of the sponsors and had a fantastic night.  Scott Findlay and the rest of the committee worked tirelessly on all the events and did a tremendous job  FOR FREE!! We were treated fantastically well and mad very welcome by the committee, club officials, players and, in particular, by Dave Mackay.  Scott Findlay is a true gentleman who doesn't deserve the rubbish that's been spouted on here.  Well done to the committee from me.

PS - Before anyone thinks I only went along because I was guests of the sponsors, I donated the money I would have spent on the night to the testimonial fund.

The premium events were fantastic and well done..

But you need  accept one thing the most important event of all was not impressive and I hope some aspects of this has taught future committees some hard lessons.  

Which lessons specifically? I'm genuinely curious to hear how you would have done it differently to get a bigger crowd in.

I thoroughly enjoyed the night, particularly the second half. It was great to see the likes of Jody Morris (who also didn't get a proper goodbye from us) back in a Saints shirt and still looking a top class player. Crowd obviously wasn't what was hoped for, but I don't think the organisers did anything wrong really. If the game could've been moved to the Saturday afternoon that maybe would've made a difference, but I'd imagine the Friday night suited all parties best. 

I think the night captured the essence of a testimonial perfectly. Nobody took the game too seriously, we got to see some genuine legends and class acts come back and play for us again and the opposition meant something to the player who's career the testimonial was celebrating. Big kudos to Rab Douglas and Neil McCann who played the role of villains brilliantly and with good humour.

I'm curious to know how he can comment on any events when he is sat in New York tbh.

Who ever you are your an absolute ass hole and I will certainly stoop to your level regarding name callin idiot I’ve seen this before on this site especially from you and that is total and utter denial ..

the fact that Steven Anderson pulled a greAt deal more people than Dave McKay is astonishing and clearly something was wrong regarding Dave’s testimonial crowd ..

stay in denial clown and keep on battering someone with names when they give an opinion that shows guilt and no answer to Daves terrible attendance 

Which lessons specifically? I'm genuinely curious to hear how you would have done it differently to get a bigger crowd in.

I will answer your question as it deserves a civilized response. 

1. Have it on a Saturday afternoon 

2. Choose a date wisely 

3. Not have a warm up game for the 1st team against  uninspiring opposition 

4. Dave strikes me as a mellow happy go easy guy so surely encouraging a Dave McKay legends team v Dereck Minnes legends team all associated with Stjohnstone and add in the likes of Roddy and some of the Totten iheroes 

5. Reduce the frikkin Ticket price for one ..

6.i can assure you there’s more but in my opinion which isn’t this forum about ..

i respect people’s opinion I haven’t said the committee didn’t work hard I just stated they got the game wrong and I know there’s a vast opinion including the AH that the crowd was diabolical 

Who ever you are your an absolute ass hole and I will certainly stoop to your level regarding name callin idiot I’ve seen this before on this site especially from you and that is total and utter denial ..

the fact that Steven Anderson pulled a greAt deal more people than Dave McKay is astonishing and clearly something was wrong regarding Dave’s testimonial crowd ..

stay in denial clown and keep on battering someone with names when they give an opinion that shows guilt and no answer to Daves terrible attendance 

Shows guilt for what exactly? 

Shows guilt for what exactly? 

Why so defensive do you sincerely feel the testimonial committee got the game right 

nobody’s saying there terrible or lack effort I know they care I also know there disappointed we all fukkin care you me all saints fans however if this forum can’t have opinions  as it’s followed by name callin what’s the point ..

Name calllin is a form of childish school boy tactics normally associated with bullying , guilt and most certainly when your on the defensive of rather keep away from that and have an honest discussion which may be hurtful but hopefully fruitful ..

I will answer your question as it deserves a civilized response. 

1. Have it on a Saturday afternoon 

2. Choose a date wisely 

3. Not have a warm up game for the 1st team against  uninspiring opposition 

4. Dave strikes me as a mellow happy go easy guy so surely encouraging a Dave McKay legends team v Dereck Minnes legends team all associated with Stjohnstone and add in the likes of Roddy and some of the Totten iheroes 

5. Reduce the frikkin Ticket price for one ..

6.i can assure you there’s more but in my opinion which isn’t this forum about ..

i respect people’s opinion I haven’t said the committee didn’t work hard I just stated they got the game wrong and I know there’s a vast opinion including the AH that the crowd was diabolical 

I'm sure most people would agree that in an ideal world most/all of those things would have happened. But it's already been explained that the club would only allow it to happen on the Friday night, and more glamorous opponents were outside the available budget, so that pretty much rules out your first three points. Point 4 would be good, but any more appealing than the raft of legends who did actually play? Point 5 I agree with but I wonder if you'd just end up with similar numbers paying less money, which would be even worse. Perhaps the big problem is that football matches in general are just so bloody expensive now that people are less inclined to shell out on these extra/exhibition matches in addition to the proper games. There's only so much that most of us can realistically spend on football each month, after all.

Despite your points I'm still not sure what the committee could really have done, within their power, that would have brought in a significantly bigger crowd.

I'm sure most people would agree that in an ideal world most/all of those things would have happened. But it's already been explained that the club would only allow it to happen on the Friday night, and more glamorous opponents were outside the available budget, so that pretty much rules out your first three points. Point 4 would be good, but any more appealing than the raft of legends who did actually play? Point 5 I agree with but I wonder if you'd just end up with similar numbers paying less money, which would be even worse. Perhaps the big problem is that football matches in general are just so bloody expensive now that people are less inclined to shell out on these extra/exhibition matches in addition to the proper games. There's only so much that most of us can realistically spend on football each month, after all.

Despite your points I'm still not sure what the committee could really have done, within their power, that would have brought in a significantly bigger crowd.

If your point of Stjohnstone not allowing The game on a Saturday then I’d choose Sunday however if it is true then the committee  are certainly going to struggle ..

like I say I’d like to reiterate I have not once stated that the comittee did not work hard j

If your point of Stjohnstone not allowing The game on a Saturday then I’d choose Sunday however if it is true then the committee  are certainly going to struggle ..

like I say I’d like to reiterate I have not once stated that the comittee did not work hard j

A Sunday game would risk competing with the Scotland match though, which would potentially lower the crowd even more, especially for travelling supporters, plus maybe also issues with the existing Saints and Dundee training/rest day schedules, although that's just guess-work on my part. It would appear that the Friday chosen was the best of all available options. I'm sure that the committee will have looked at all possible opportunities presented to them and weighed things up accordingly.

Also, I generally find that if criticisms or suggestions for improvement are constructive and explained well then they will be accepted in that manner and offered appropriate responses. The committee members who are posting on here had covered most points already, so maybe you can appreciate their (and others') frustration in responses to your posts. Difference of opinion is great, and is what makes these forums interesting, but it's how that opinion is presented that will determine the reply it receives.

Who ever you are your an absolute ass hole and I will certainly stoop to your level regarding name callin idiot

Name calllin is a form of childish school boy tactics normally associated with bullying , guilt and most certainly when your on the defensive of rather keep away from that and have an honest discussion which may be hurtful but hopefully fruitful ..

:roll:

Christ this is exhausting just reading.

I thought it was a great night in the end, even if it wasn't an inspiring start. I don't really think the organisers really did anything wrong, it was well publicised on social media and slotted into the diary as best it could be to work around the commitments of those taking part.

Saints are not a well supported club. The reasons for that are many and well documented. Of course it was disappointing not to have a fuller crowd for Dave, but it wasn't surprising. The attendance has very little to do with who is playing, what the ticket price is and what events are on. The simple fact is that if that had been free on Friday night we wouldn't have broken 3000 fans.

My personal take away from this was getting to show an appreciation for a lot of Saints players that we didn't really get a chance to say goodbye too. I also got to relive a little bit of my childhood in seeing Roddy kick a Dundee player, score a goal and look like he needed a stretcher. :razz: I left the ground grinning like a lunatic. 

The committee, as always, worked their butts off to set all this up and congratulations to them. With hindsight it was a poor weekend to hold it if my granddaughters schools are anything to go by with upto 30% of their class mates absent during the week on holidays. If it had been Saturday I would have been present but a very early start on Saturday mornings for work rule me out of all Friday evening games.

Does anybody have video footage of the legends as I believe it would be worth a tenner just for a copy of that!!